HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2002, 08:13 PM
Ellington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Apr 2001
1,023 Posts
Zagi trim questions

My zagi is trimmed well and flies straight when gliding, but it really pitches up under power. This is more noticible than most flat bottom trainers I've seen. I know this is normal to a point, but how much have you all noticed this? To get good level cruise at speed, I have to hold down elevator.

It pitches up to such an extent that it tends to almost stall, and drops a wingtip.

Help please.

Thanks
Jim
JimF is offline Find More Posts by JimF
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2002, 12:33 AM
Profiled Interfractionalist
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
4,044 Posts
Yup, it's a zagi thing, or at least it is on my 400 and others I've read.

Spacers under the front of the motor can help alittle. Mostly, just find your cruising speed and trim to level flight.
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old Jan 27, 2002, 06:27 AM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined May 2001
241 Posts
Move your battery just a tad bit forward, or add weight to the nose, but the battery movement forward should cure the problem. I have mine flying level.
DEATHspiral is offline Find More Posts by DEATHspiral
Old Jan 27, 2002, 09:57 AM
Terry Dunn
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Jan 2001
880 Posts
Try all of the above. If they dont work, make sure your CG isnt too far forward. If it is, you will need more reflex in the elevons to fly level. When you power up, that same amount of reflex will cause you to pitch up. Just another idea.
mopar_man is online now Find More Posts by mopar_man
Old Jan 27, 2002, 12:32 PM
Crashez-vous sans stress!
Chicago
Joined Nov 2001
374 Posts
Computer radio?

After you've checked/adjusted the downthrust, CG and re-trimmed, if it still is annoying, and you have a computer radio that does throttle to elevator mixing, you can program a little down-elevator into your throttle curve. With some trial-and-error you could eliminate the pitch change.
Dan H. is offline Find More Posts by Dan H.
Old Jan 27, 2002, 07:35 PM
Ellington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Apr 2001
1,023 Posts
Thanks for the input. I trimmed it out so it flies more or less level under full power. I had 3 flights today and worked it out pretty good. At least I know its a Zagi thing. Still having fun, but I'm feeling the need for speed. Maybe a motor upgrade!

Jim
JimF is offline Find More Posts by JimF