HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2004, 09:31 PM
Joined Jun 2004
23 Posts
TT Electric vs NF Nitro, insane

I just put a couple of laps on my new NF nitro. WOW! It has a NR .12 in it and I cant believe how fast the damm thing is. Can a brushless set up get up to speed as quick as a nitro bike and hang with it?

The stock brake unit doesn't work very well. The set up up seems to load up the throttle brake servo, isnt that bad as far as excessive current draw on the RX pack. Any suggestions on making this thing stop better?
hlrd is offline Find More Posts by hlrd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2004, 12:18 AM
I'm not totally useless..
Drunen. NL
Joined Sep 2003
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlrd
.....Any suggestions on making this thing stop better?
Give PAT1967 an e-mail, he makes wonderfull brakes!
radical ron is offline Find More Posts by radical ron
Old Jul 30, 2004, 01:48 AM
Wetherby, UK
Joined Dec 2003
1,138 Posts
Brushless won't ever get up to the speed of a nitro, but it will easily out manouvre it around a track (unless the track is an oval)
You need the rear brake aswell to get better stopping power, or as Ron says, get the ultimate setup, Pat's brakes!

John
nuovaic is online now Find More Posts by nuovaic
Old Jul 30, 2004, 08:28 AM
I'll be back..bwap bwaap
Seattle
Joined Oct 2003
450 Posts
I think the only reason a nitro can't hang on track with an electric is the clutch vs direct drive. Or, at least that's the biggest part.
That right John?
Drillah is offline Find More Posts by Drillah
Old Jul 30, 2004, 09:05 AM
Racer
Palm Beach, Florida
Joined Jul 2004
7 Posts
As a long time car racer, I would say that you need to look at the clutch. On my T-Maxx, I changed out the composite clutch shoes for aluminum ones (RCBoyz.com) and it made a difference between wheelies and no wheelies.

For my on-road racers, I only use Centax-Type clutches. These clutches are really cool, because you can control the time that it takes for the clutch to engage. On my on-road cars, I like the engine to rev a bit before the clutch engages, but for a motorcycle - since you don't want to spin the rear tire, so you'll set it to engage right away (which makes it "closer" to direct drive).

I am partial to Mugen for the clutch, and you should be able to pick one up for around $50 or so...and if you're gonna do that...well, I'd grab the MTX-3 2-speed assembly as well! It's all about gearing, and you CAN make a nitro vehicle get around a technical track as well or faster than electric if you're willing to play around with the clutch and gear ratios.

BTW-How much money do you have invested in the bike as it is now? (I'm really thinking about getting one - right now I have a new HOR bike, which is fun...but too quiet for a nitro guy..)

Thanks,
Mark
Marktur2004 is offline Find More Posts by Marktur2004
Old Jul 30, 2004, 09:55 AM
Wetherby, UK
Joined Dec 2003
1,138 Posts
I did experiment with a centax which I borrowed from my Impulse when I tried the 2-speed box and found it to be no advantage. The existing clutch engages at slow speed anyway, all I could do with the centax was see what a later engagement would do and it just makes it more difficult to drive around hairpins. Main track difference I've found between nitro and electric is the weight distribution. It's just that bit harder to keep a line on slow to medium corners. Also powering out of the turn needs more precision and you tend to err on the slow side, too much throttle too early will easily have the bike in a tumble. Maximum lean angle is also less on nitro. Torque from low revs is much less than electric too. All this means an electric bike will outbrake, out corner and out accelerate out of the corner any nitro. Have a look at the Mendip vids on the Skippy site and you'll see what I mean. The nitro was easy handling and fast on the fast parts of the track, but felt like a fish out of water on the slower parts.

John
nuovaic is online now Find More Posts by nuovaic
Old Jul 30, 2004, 04:32 PM
Joined Jun 2004
23 Posts
Thanks for the replies. My bike (NF) nitro is all stock. The brakes are the only thing I would upgrade. Ive been playing around with my DUC tt for the last 3 months. I love it. I can run the machine without crash bars. I dunno, Ive been flying helicopters the last 13 years, maybe it helps.

The Nitro is so damm fast I cant believe it. So far, the cornering entering and exiting is somewhat similar to the TT. The only thing is is that the power comes on so strong and so quickly. Gearing down would help, either that, or lots more practice.

Hope to see some of you at US race events. Im hooked for good.
hlrd is offline Find More Posts by hlrd
Old Jul 30, 2004, 08:56 PM
STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlrd
Hope to see some of you at US race events. Im hooked for good.
What US race events? Other than the California group, there isn't a thing going on race-wise for us US guys.

We need to get organized to get a race going on the East Coast. I don't want to wait another 10 months to go out to Vegas again. Any East Coasters interested in finding a track and setting up a get together/race weekend? Hopefully before winter comes around again.

STeve B in NC
mollycbr123 is offline Find More Posts by mollycbr123
Old Jul 30, 2004, 10:15 PM
Joined Apr 2003
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuovaic
Brushless won't ever get up to the speed of a nitro, but it will easily out manouvre it around a track (unless the track is an oval)
You need the rear brake aswell to get better stopping power, or as Ron says, get the ultimate setup, Pat's brakes!

John
Why not? Brushless spins over 50,000 rpms. I think the nitros spin somewhere in the 30's. Nitro isn't more speed, just cheaper speed.
305997 is offline Find More Posts by 305997
Old Jul 30, 2004, 11:28 PM
I'll be back..bwap bwaap
Seattle
Joined Oct 2003
450 Posts
I would love to try a Centax clutch on the stroker but can't right now due to the halfmoon key in the crank where the flywheel goes. Makes it hard to custom make a proper flywheel.
I'm stuck with the 2 shoe for a bit so I think I'll try some alum t-max shoes.
For 2 shoe setups does anyone know if lighter or heavier springs are available so they allow shoes to engage a bit sooner later?
Old Jul 31, 2004, 05:32 AM
Bikes R Us is back!
Manchester U.K.
Joined May 2004
205 Posts
Hey Drillah, have you seen the 3 shoe clutch for the NF, what advantage would there be in using a 3 shoe clutch????

(dammit!!! I can't find the pics )

Deano
Deano1661 is offline Find More Posts by Deano1661
Old Jul 31, 2004, 09:09 AM
Joined Jul 2004
4 Posts
Who makes after market parts for the TT Ducati 999R? Got my first bike yesterday and hope to get a chance to give it a try later today after I finish working on 1/5 scale F1.
daytona7 is offline Find More Posts by daytona7
Old Jul 31, 2004, 09:18 AM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jan 2004
1,783 Posts
Crazynut racing has aftermarket stuff, and I'm sure some other guys will post a few more sites! http://www.crazynutracing.com/default.php?cPath=31
Tom
metomwhou is offline Find More Posts by metomwhou
Old Jul 31, 2004, 11:56 AM
I'll be back..bwap bwaap
Seattle
Joined Oct 2003
450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano1661
Hey Drillah, have you seen the 3 shoe clutch for the NF, what advantage would there be in using a 3 shoe clutch????

(dammit!!! I can't find the pics )

Deano
Yeah i've seen it. my flywheel is only setup for a 2 shoe config. The flywheel mounts differently than most, it does not use a tapered collet. The shaft does not allow me to use any-old flywheel. I gots ta make one