HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2004, 07:31 AM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
264 Posts
Question
Acrylic paint = Latex paint ?

Hi Everyone

Is acrylic paint and latex paint one in the same? I need to airbrush a large area on my plane with simple flat white (invasion stripes) and if I could buy this from the local hardware store instead of the local hobby store ($4.00/small can) I could save a bit of money. The hardware store paint is marked latex although the sales guy insists it is the same as acrylic. Is he right?

Thanks

Jim Connell
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Jim Connell is offline Find More Posts by Jim Connell
Last edited by Jim Connell; Jul 29, 2004 at 07:34 AM. Reason: typo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2004, 07:37 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
They sell it here as "latex acrylic"..
A quick google search:

Definitions of LATEX PAINT on the Web:

Water-based paint made with a synthetic binder (latex), such as acrylic, vinyl acrylic, or styrene acrylic latex.
netscape.homestore.com/HomeGarden/Decorate/Paint/Glossary/PQUI_2.asp

Water-thinned paint made with synthetic binders such as polyvinyl acetate or acrylic resins. In contrast to oil-based paint, latex paint dries fast, flows smoothly, and cleans up easily with water. High-performance latex paints contain 100% acrylic resins.
http://www.passonnopaints.com/passon...t_glossary.htm

a water-base paint having a latex binder
www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn

I think that's a "yes"
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jul 29, 2004, 11:19 PM
the-plumber
Joined Feb 2003
1,094 Posts
http://www.modelairplanenews.com/how_to/latex1.asp

Lotsa good info in that article.
the-plumber is offline Find More Posts by the-plumber
Old Jul 30, 2004, 07:25 AM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
264 Posts
Thanks

Thanks guys for the information. It may have seemed like a silly question but I've once again looked at my can of latex paint and no where is the word acrylic on it. So thanks Andy for helping to straighten that out.

And a big thanks also to "the-plumber" for the link on painting with latex. You are quite right, it is a great article. One that I will get a lot of use from.

Jim Connell
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Jim Connell is offline Find More Posts by Jim Connell
Old Jul 31, 2004, 04:32 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Mmm. Be careful.

Latex I think applies to the water based-ness, but acrylic applies to the paint body.

Over here (UK) we have 'water based acrylic paint' which is generally a gloss or semi gloss wood paint, and 'emulsion' paint which is a matt or semi matt paint for walls.

They are not the same thing at all.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1