HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2004, 09:52 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Nope, I'll keep flying it with the 14x7.

P.S. by GregG

This is the continuation and the third part of the excellent thread that Kelvin started on Building and Flying an E3D.

Building and Flying an E3D

Building and Flying an E3D Part II
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Last edited by GregG; Jul 28, 2004 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Thread grew over 500 posts
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2004, 12:45 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
THANKS v8ranger... I'll stick with my priginal plan of lengthening the ouput leads, and placing the UBEC on the keel above the landing gear block.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old May 10, 2004, 01:12 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
So is there an advantage in using the 7600's with 14x7 on a C40 or should I just keep using a 7800 pack when I get my E3d finished?

Thanks
Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old May 15, 2004, 06:57 PM
FASST flyer
USA, OH, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
3,563 Posts
I moved my CG way back, a good inch behind the spar, and my E3D performed much better and was still stable and controlable, until I stripped another set of aileron servos. HS-85BB's this time. I heard the horrible flutter sound on a fairly slow upline and I immediatly landed with one servo completely stripped ond one only partially working. There was zero slop in the linkage. The entire linkage was very tight. I've wasted so much time unsuccessfuly trying to eliminate the flutter that I'm tempted to yank all the gear and install it in my Stevens Aero CAP 40E and toss my E3D in the trash so that I don't waste any more time on it.
KatManDEW is offline Find More Posts by KatManDEW
Old May 15, 2004, 07:02 PM
Recruiter - 60 Amp Club
Rutherfordton, North Carolina, United States
Joined Apr 2001
5,941 Posts
KatMan,
My 2 cents worth ......Bolt in a couple of Futaba S3102's and you will NEVER have the stripping problem again ..... also improved resolution.
Ed
Ed Lyerly is offline Find More Posts by Ed Lyerly
Old May 15, 2004, 07:14 PM
FASST flyer
USA, OH, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
3,563 Posts
Thanks for the tip Ed. I may try that before I remove all the gear and run over my E3D with my truck. It's the time that I've wasted on the flutter problem that really upsets me. That and the fact that it worries me every time I fly it, so from that respect I've never really gotten any good use out of my E3D.
KatManDEW is offline Find More Posts by KatManDEW
Old May 15, 2004, 07:38 PM
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
Humm. Have HS81s in the wing, and 85s on the tail... Been flying it for about a year now. <knocking wood>Hasn't fluttered once.</knocking wood>
Old May 15, 2004, 08:31 PM
17 years on RCG!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 1996
3,120 Posts
Kelvin -

With your new 10C TP pack, it likely is running much cooler than the other packs. Because of its nature, it will perform best when its warmer - around 120-130 degrees. Without propping up or pre-heating the pack, some guys hadnt seen much of an improvement even after the break in proccess. But once they took steps to add power to the system or keep the packs warmer in flight, theyre typically rewarded with 15% more power overall (without propping up you can still see the power increase with a pre-heated pack - propping up will promote self-heating in the pack which typically prove too much for the previous 8000 models.).

Once you get past the 5-6 cycle mark on the new pack, Id suggest trying some of the above to see the real improvement (prop up only if the motor/ESC combo can handle the added power!). Try leaving the pack on the dash of your car in the sun for pre-heating and carry a temp gun to check temps before and after flights on all the packs.
Jason M is offline Find More Posts by Jason M
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2004, 11:34 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
These packs don't even get to 120 degrees after flying them. I flew the 7600 pack for 2 ten minute flights. The pack was barely warm. I guess I'll have to wait until it gets to the 90's here in Texas

I've configured dual rates but I think I have the elevator set to too much throw even with a lot of expo on it. I'm feel like I've reached a plateau in my 3d flying. My hovers aren't getting any better, I just can't seem to find that magic point between where the model stops climbing or falling off. I can't harrier worth anything and I"m doing something wrong trying to get any sort of flat spins. I can only get a 270 degree rolling circle. I guess just keep practicing.

Maybe I can get some tips from some of my glow club member colleagues. I don't want to embarrass myself at SEFF!

Kelvin
Old May 17, 2004, 03:50 PM
Joined Dec 2003
31 Posts
Spinner working its way off.

I have the graupner spinner on my Banchee. Have noticed that it gradually will work it way out on the motor shaft. I have tightened the nut as tight as I can get it. Has anyone "roughned" up the shaft so the collet can get a better bite?

Thanks.
talon58 is offline Find More Posts by talon58
Old May 19, 2004, 06:54 AM
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
Thanks Carl;
This is basically how I have my set up. I've used a UBEC with this receiver before, so I don't think that's it. There really isn't too much room to move things around. I really hate to go to a seperate receiver battery, but I don't know if I want to trust the BEC on the ESC once the weather gets a bit warmer.
Old May 19, 2004, 01:27 PM
Washington, PA, USA
Joined Aug 2003
1,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcav8r2
but I don't know if I want to trust the BEC on the ESC once the weather gets a bit warmer.
Dave..........Just don't fly on the hot days, if we get any. Looks like it may rain the rest of the summer.
unbalanced prop is offline Find More Posts by unbalanced prop
Old May 19, 2004, 01:40 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
I don't use a UBEC on my E3D and have 85s all around. I haven't had an issue with the BEC overloading. I know I can overload it on the ground if I rotate all the TX sticks rapidly in a circle for about a minute. In the air I don't cycle the controls near that extent. I'm using a HM 40 3p with BEC.

Kelvin
Old Jul 15, 2004, 01:48 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
My E3D continues to fly. Just the other day I got adventurous and decided to move the battery back another 1/4". I'm overly cautious but it was a nice late afternoon with little wind, rare in Dallas, and I was pleasantly surprised. Now my hovers, or what I think are hovers, now are easier. I noticed the nose didn't want to pitch down as easily. I notice the wings didn't waggle or very little at slow high AOA. What have I been missing. I may learn this 3d stuff yet

I was having so much fun I ran my new 7500 3s4p TP pack further down than I realized. Two flights on one charge; 10 minutes and 7 minutes. I noticed the front cells were hotter than the back cells; 140 vs 120. When I got home the resting voltage was 10.4v. I could smell a faint sweet odor out of the warm cells where the lead wires come out. I've read that a resting voltage of 3.6v/cell is the lowest or 10.8 for a 3s pack. I'm wondering if I've discharged them too much. They recharged up to 6600 mah. No puffing. I hope they're OK.

Kelvin
Old Jul 15, 2004, 02:01 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Jun 2003
593 Posts
From all I've read if you smell that sweet smell there is trouble for sure.

MtpR
SQUARE ROOT is offline Find More Posts by SQUARE ROOT