HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2002, 11:24 AM
uk
Joined Jan 2002
15 Posts
Converting Quickie 500 to electric

Hello, I have just joined the forum and thought I would mention my latest project. I have converted a Freedom 500 pylon racer from Modelcraft (Coventry UK) to electric. I am using a Jeti Phasor 30/3 with the Jes 40-3P speed controller.
The plane has a fibreglass fuselage with veneered covered foam wings and was quick and easy to build.I have fitted it out with a GWS 8 channel dual conversion receiver and Cirrus 22BB servos,
10 x Sanyo 2400s. All up weight ready to go 4lbs 4 oz!!
The problem at the moment is 60 mph winds and torrential rain so I have not been able to fly it yet!
Beagle is offline Find More Posts by Beagle
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2002, 02:46 PM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,592 Posts
have you read steve's article on the quickee conv?

http://www.ezonemag.com/articles/199.../viperev.shtml
http://www.ezonemag.com/articles/200.../phasors.shtml
hope the weather clears, sounds like you're going to like that set up.........gregg
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
Last edited by gregg f; Jan 26, 2002 at 02:49 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2002, 07:59 AM
uk
Joined Jan 2002
15 Posts
Thanks Gregg. It was reading Steves articles that put me on to converting a Quickie 500 as I was looking for a plane about the same size as my ten cell Embat.

Beagle
Beagle is offline Find More Posts by Beagle
Old Jan 28, 2002, 08:15 AM
United States
Joined May 2000
5,139 Posts
I used to race quickie's in a former life and I know they make great little sport planes. I wanted to convert one when I first got into e-flight and did so with a Hobbico Viper. I did a bit more to it than shown in the conversion article here on the ezone. Since it's a pre-sheeted foam wing, I marked up rib bays on it (1 inch ribs, 4 inch bays) and removed a lot of weight. I removed the heavy wingips and just cut a 1/16" balsa plate to cap the tip, removed the trailing edge/aileron stock and made fullspan ailerons, 2" at center, tapering to 1" at tip. I also discarded the tailsurfaces and cut new ones from 3/16" balsa with a lot of lightening holes, and much larger control surfaces.Had 4 HS81 servos in it, 10 cells, mag mayhem, 3.8 ratio, with 12X10 prop. This worked great and I had a lot of enjoyable flight time on the plane. I later discovered the endoplasma, with it's ability to withstand higher power levels,.. so I put one of those in it, with an 11X10, at 4.6 ratio, on 10 cells, and it was transformed.This took it to 400 watts from the original 270 or so setup. The pitch speed went up about 20mph, and it appeared that the plane actually increased in speed more than that. It would then climb easily on knife edge. I think the review conversion here on ezone was around 70+ ounces,.. and with the various changes I made I was at 56 ready to fly. You could easily know more weight off if you did a built up quickie, rather than starting with an arf.
GWRIGHT is offline Find More Posts by GWRIGHT
Old Jan 28, 2002, 10:42 AM
Joined Jan 1999
419 Posts
Hi Gary,

That's my plane in the review - a great sport model, and one of my very favorite planes to this day. I currently have it powered by an Aveox 1409/3y direct drive on 10 1700 mAh Sanyo cells (old style - not the new CP's), Castle Creations 55 controller, 3 HS-81 servos, Airtronics micro receiver, and an APC 9x7 prop. Ready to fly weight is 62 oz. The Jeti 30-3 motor and 40-3P controller give me similar weight and performance (superb!). It's an easy to fly plane with great aerobatic potential (although it would be nice if the ailerons were full span and it had more rudder).

Steve
Steven Horney is offline Find More Posts by Steven Horney
Old Jan 28, 2002, 11:28 AM
Motors beat engines!
Milwaukee Wisconsin, United States
Joined Feb 2001
4,564 Posts
Hey Gary, ever think about something like that for your next kit?

I suspect a lot of guys would buy it.

I am just now doing test flights on my own pink foam plane of this type. I have'nt named it yet and just call it pattern.

I'm runing it right now on a mag may DD, 8 cp2400s with apc 7x5, and it flys very nicely but just needs more power for its 47 oz.

I am working on a mark 2 version that will use the same combo I used in my jk aerotech zero, atomic force 3.8:1, 12x10 apc-e, and the same 8 x cp2400's.

The zero flew extremely well at 50 oz with its 40" span 320 in/sq e205 wing. We timed it at a best of 64 mph, and loops sizes were decided by you instead of gravity. Except for the silence, it really looked like a gas plane swooping around.

Due to the fact that pattern has a much bigger and thicker full sym wing, ( 48" and 492 in/sq) I'm thinking a prop with a bit less pitch might be better.

I sure would appreciate your much more experienced input on this.

Dean in Milwaukee
DeaninMilwaukee is offline Find More Posts by DeaninMilwaukee
Old Jan 28, 2002, 01:03 PM
United States
Joined May 2000
5,139 Posts
that's one of the "ideas" in my queue. I'm working on finishing the kwik-E instructions,.. then the next thing I really have to do due to demand is the 80" E3D. After that,.. I'd like to do 1, a "stick" that could be a trainer or sport plane,..with the mayhem, 4.6, 14X10, and 10 cells for long flights,.. 2,.. a sport/pattern plane like a cross between a quickie and a Kaos,.. for 10 cells, endoplasma, 11X10 prop, and 3,.. a "warmliner",.. based on the Kwik-E, but with the wing stretched to 60~65 inches, and a geared endo with 11X10 or 12X10 folder,.. for 10 CP1300's, or 1700's. These are the things in my head,.. but the 80" model really needs to be next as I get calls constantly wanting the big yellow E3D I flew at NEAT. I also have another 60 size heli to build , a Logo 10 I just assembled and have to get going,.. should have a logo 20 soon,... need to build another 48" E3D so I can demonstrate the Endo versus the Hacker brushless at events, and I want to re-fit my OV-10 with twin ESC's and go back to the endo's in it. As you can see,.. I don't have enough projects
GWRIGHT is offline Find More Posts by GWRIGHT