SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 26, 2002, 09:41 AM
Florida
Joined Oct 2001
178 Posts
What's the best brushless system (motor/controller) for .40 to .60 sized sport planes

I've used the Atomic Force 17T car motor with much success. But, thought I might splurge and get a brushless system for longer flight times. Maxcim seems to have good multi application motors. I've read that some combos don't always start.
Are sensorless or sensored controllers better?
Thanks for any input.
Rick
rsieminski is offline Find More Posts by rsieminski
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2002, 07:42 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Rick
These powerful systems are somewhat addictive!

MaxCim - very flexible, two motors can cover from 10 cells to 25. Sells a BEC capable ESC for up to 21 cells. Gearbox is easy to maintain, you can swap gear ratios with two hex keys, at the flying field if neccessary - handy for more flexibility. The D wind motor can handle 50A, and up to around 16 cells, the Y is handier if you fancy up to 25 cells, but can run happily down around 14 cells.

If you have any questions, you can talk directly to the guy who designed them - Tom Cimato lives in NY state.

Sensorless - nice hi-techy stuff. I've never had any trouble fitting sensor wires into my brushless powered models (Four Star 40 and CAP 232) so far. You turn them on, they sit there until you push the throttle forward, then they spin up.

Using a motor and ESC from two different manufacturers / countries can be immense fun if you run into any problems Some motors come with one fixed gear ratio - if the motor doesn't suit your model, you buy just another motor. Some people prefer that to changing $5.00 pinions (that they also sell these motors is, of course, incidental )
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jan 26, 2002, 08:01 PM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
For me, the choice to use MaxCim brushless motors along with the MEC gearbox (sold by Tom Cimato also, with the MaxCim motors) came after noting that my Aveox motors with planetary gearboxes lacked much flexibility: I could use more or less batteries, and slightly larger or smaller props...but that was it.

And with the prices of these large systems (brushed, or brushless), I did not not look forward to having to have 8 or 10 motor systems so I could properly power the different models I favor. So the MEC gearbox is really the key to flexibility; the MaxCim I chose because it does not 'cog' as do the Aveox.

There are many other brushless motors, but I prefer to purchase what is built in the country in which I live - both for economic impact, and also because there is better service and part availability than I have found at times, for items manufactured elsewhere.

That's my story, and I ain't changing it!

Terry
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc
Old Jan 27, 2002, 12:11 AM
Oak Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2001
1,183 Posts
Yeah, what Dereck and Terry said. Except Dereck's a little conservative on the Maxcim "D". I run mine at 18 cells and 50-60 amps. This isn't pushing them, they're rated for this.

Norm
Norm is offline Find More Posts by Norm
Old Jan 27, 2002, 11:52 AM
Arab, AL
Joined Jan 2002
769 Posts
Include me in the MaxCim column for all the above reasons plus one. The MaxCim ESC is much happier operating at partial throttle than some other ESCs I've tried. The MaxCim actually gets cooler at partial throttle while at least some others seem to get hotter. Got to believe less heat = higher efficiency. Not a big deal if you plan to run full throttle all the time, but a very big deal for mild to intermediate sport flying. All-in-all the flexible gear ratios has got to be the most important feature in these wide RPM range motors.

Brad
Brad S is offline Find More Posts by Brad S
Old Jan 27, 2002, 12:36 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,939 Posts
Re: What's the best brushless system (motor/controller) for .40 to .60 sized sport planes

Quote:
Originally posted by rsieminski
I've used the Atomic Force 17T car motor with much success. But, thought I might splurge and get a brushless system for longer flight times. Maxcim seems to have good multi application motors. I've read that some combos don't always start.
Are sensorless or sensored controllers better?
Thanks for any input.
Rick
To truly answer these questions will take a small book, and the answer is changing day by day.

You can't go wrong with the MaxCim setup that everyone else has recommended.

If the price is just too high, combinations made with a Mega motor, a Jeti or MGM Com Pro (or, when they are ready, a Castle Creations) sensorles controller and the very same MEC gearboxes (providin' you can twist Pete's arm to bore you a 5mm pinion or two of the appropriate size(s)) can give good results, albeit without the broadly flexible BEC that MaxCim offers.

For a turnkey, ready to go when you are setup, Tom Cimato's got it - MaxCim.

For sensored vs. sensorless discussion, look at my September 2001 column on the Ezone (http://www.ezonemag.com/articles/200.../control.shtml). Significantly, since I wrote this, Aveox has announced a line of sensorless motors and is moving in that direction.

And, I've tried two sensorless controllers that I didn't have when I wrote that column and both handle a wide variety of motors well (Castle Creations Pheonix 25 - a beta test unit - and the MGM Com Pro 40e-3ph). But none of these run as cool at part throttle as the MaxCim (which is sensored), though they are much smaller, especially the Castle Phoenix.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jan 27, 2002, 07:55 PM
Florida
Joined Oct 2001
178 Posts
Thanks guys! I've been down (ComCast) for the past 2.5 days, so I haven't been able to see the replies until now.
MaxCim seems to be the way to go. If used within their specs, will they last a long time? Is there any maintenance, other than oiling the berings?
Thanks,
Rick
rsieminski is offline Find More Posts by rsieminski
Old Jan 27, 2002, 08:13 PM
Vancouver Intl, Canada
Joined Dec 1996
322 Posts
My vote goes to Maxcim as well. Bulletproof controllers and motors. Tom is a swell guy too.
Aviron is offline Find More Posts by Aviron
Old Jan 27, 2002, 09:54 PM
Oak Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2001
1,183 Posts
"Oil the bearings" We're supposed to oil the bearings????

I've never oiled the bearings, but I do use white grease on the gearboxes.

Norm
Norm is offline Find More Posts by Norm