HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2001, 06:26 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
suggestions for next plane

Howdee all. I currently have (2) Firebird XL's. They fly fine with the rudder flap mod. Its not that I'm getting bored with it but, would like more challenging venues ala
rudder/elevator types of planes. I fly on my farm in a huge field. Take offs are done by hand launch (too bumpy for landing gear)
and most of the field is waist high grass so
crashes aren't all that bad. The 'birds are my first rc planes so I have basically no experience with attaching servos and other electronics. But would like to start building these types. Been on this board just reading posts for a few weeks and have determined you guys are the experts! So, which model do you guys recommend? Looking for a park type flyer first. Balsa based?
Foam? What should I look for? T-52 looks sort of interesting. I'd like to be able to do some loops and other simple aerobatics at first. Thanx to all those that reply!!!

LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2001, 06:28 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Get a T52, then a Zagi.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jun 26, 2001, 11:16 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,113 Posts
T-52 in standard configuration and then change the 10deg dihedral wing to a flat wing with ailerons for axial rolls/inverted flight/etc. This plane will take you from beginning to medium aerobatics with only the change of a wing and one more servo. The other very strong point of the T-52 is its durability. New flyers are amazed that it can go in head first and end up with maybe a broken prop or wing rubberband. Usually, you can just pick it up and fly again.
I owned a Wingo and spent most of my time gluing it back together
hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jun 27, 2001, 10:27 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Thanx. Been looking around at some different sites. Man, a whole lot to chose from!!! Packaged kits w/electronics sans
transmitter. Lots of different Hitec transmitters (3 channel). What I want is to only have to make 1 transmitter purchase. I'd like to use it on both a T-52 and a Zagi and even on a slower flyer like a duskstik.
My main fear is not so much flying, its putting together all the servos and speed controller etc. I don't want to be fryin anything!!! All the things that go into the
plane is starting to get befuddled.

Dave...
Old Jun 28, 2001, 11:19 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
I got a sky scooter pro because it had everything with it. It also came pre assembled. so it was easy to decipher how everything was hooked up. Plus I managed to make a few simple mods so that the plan would fly well. The scooter pro is a great way to learn without spending a lot of money, and all of the radio equipment will transfer to a xagi, if I want to use it there. I got started flying for $165, and maybe $50 in mods and supplies. I think this plane is the perfect match between, cost, performance, durability, and value. good luck
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Jun 28, 2001, 02:43 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Soho, the mod you made with your sky scooter pro, was it the prop and gearbox? How did it fly stock from the box without mods? If I'm not mistaken, it comes with a HiTech 3 channel AM radio. So, you can use the radio
with the correct innards on a Zagi or T-52?

Dave...
Old Jun 28, 2001, 10:40 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,113 Posts
Dave, although it costs more, $179 at hobby club, the Hitec Flash 5 comes with a small RX, the 555, and 3 HS 81 servos. It is a computer based TX with 5 model memories, digital trims that are remembered for each plane, dual rate switch, elevon mixing, exponential rates, etc etc. It is so much better than the cheaper models that it is well worth the price if you think that you will become a rabid flyer. I bought the 3 channel Hitec and got the Flash within 3 months.
Good luck
hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jun 28, 2001, 11:38 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Thanx for the info, Hop! So, if I go with the flash 5, I should use the same servos and
RX that comes with the transmitter for a T-52, Zagi, Cub or whatever I decide to build?
Old Jun 28, 2001, 11:51 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LuckyArmpit:
Soho, the mod you made with your sky scooter pro, was it the prop and gearbox? How did it fly stock from the box without mods? If I'm not mistaken, it comes with a HiTech 3 channel AM radio. So, you can use the radio
with the correct innards on a Zagi or T-52?

Dave...

Exactly!!!! I used the 3:1 gearbox and the 9x6 slowflyer prop, and it made ALL the difference in the world. My plane went from a difficult to launch, hard left turning plane, to something I could trim while flying easily.

As for the reusability of the parts, I plan on doing just that. Putting my parts into a xagi or a t-52 or something else later. The scooter is the PERFECT way to test the waters of this hobby without spending a lot of money, and your equipment is reusable. It's a 3 channel radio, and the pro comes with an esc, so you have everything you need. I will say this again. I don't understand why the scooter pro isn't better received here...

j
Old Jun 29, 2001, 12:27 AM
Profiled Interfractionalist
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
4,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by soholingo:
and all of the radio equipment will transfer to a xagi
The radio that came with my skyscooter(beg verson) dos'nt have elevon mixing, and won't work with my zagi.
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old Jun 29, 2001, 12:45 AM
Roxboro, NC U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2000
714 Posts
I think the Flash 5X glider version is worth the money for sure. I got mine from New creations and Kirk switched out the servos to HS'55 and saved me a little money and weight. If the electriconics is what you dread. They can solder all the connectors on and you just hook it all together. On mine the connectors are installed in such a way that you cnnot mess it up. Hobby Lobby also offers this in what is called plug and play. Get a bettter quality radio you will love it. As for planes I used the T52 and it has done great for me. It will take a ton of abuse, I should know!
Mike C is offline Find More Posts by Mike C
Old Jun 29, 2001, 12:29 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by William A:
The radio that came with my skyscooter(beg verson) dos'nt have elevon mixing, and won't work with my zagi.
That's true because it's a 2 channel radio, the radio with the PRO version is 3 channel and supports elevon mixing.

j