HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2004, 10:40 PM
Hey y'all... watch this!
Bellevue, WA
Joined Jan 2004
852 Posts
The Acrobipe doesn't have plastic on the engine cowl. Just foam. The EDP is an easy fit. I didn't think it would be powerful enough, but it works nicely.

It also doesn't have those lovely wheel pants that you get on the HF bipe.

What is a "B2C" ??
Rex A Lott is offline Find More Posts by Rex A Lott
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2004, 12:14 PM
Joined Dec 2003
620 Posts
A B2C is a GWS motor that is used in, I believe, their LPS geared systems, a step down in size from the IPS systems. It's a fairly nice fit in this model, although the motor/gearbox size forces it to pop out the top or bottom of the cowl a little bit.

I have the 7x6 prop on it, which provides plenty of zoom. If I find some tall, squooshy grass, I may expiriment with smaller or finer-pitched props. I would not mind sacrificing some of the top speed for a little more traction...
bykrdan is offline Find More Posts by bykrdan
Old Oct 21, 2004, 05:05 PM
Joined Dec 2003
620 Posts
Just an update...

I made several more flights with the little bipe; it's quickly becoming my favorite plane (with the Rare Bear still on the bench, anyway!)

I swapped out the 7060 prop for a 6050 and it handles a bit better in calmer air. I may even be able to handle it in my street now, though I'm still going to locate a 7030 and try that one first. I also plan to move my CG back some, as I have a noticable bit of up-elevator trimmed in for level flight.

I'm sort of scoping out the next conversion. I've heard good things about the IPS direct-drive, so I'm going to try that, with a smaller battery, too.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 07:49 PM
Hey y'all... watch this!
Bellevue, WA
Joined Jan 2004
852 Posts
You are using a geared drive not DD aren't you?
Old Oct 22, 2004, 05:51 AM
Joined Dec 2003
620 Posts
On this one, yes, the B2C is geared 6:1. On the next plane, I want to try the EDP direct drive...
Old Oct 26, 2004, 10:52 AM
slc utah
Joined Jan 2003
148 Posts
Here is my conversion.
HF Bipe w/ elevator and rudder.
IPS DD w/ 0303
Pixie 7P
Cirrus RX4
Blue bird servos
Tanic 7.4 830
AUW 117 g w/out battery 74g
I need to get a lighter battery before I try this. The 830 mah was the smallest my LHS had.
SchylarB is offline Find More Posts by SchylarB
Old Oct 30, 2004, 08:12 PM
Joined Dec 2003
620 Posts
Unbelievable!

Well, just when I had my bipe all nice and trimmed out for walking-speed flying with the B2C, I pull out of a clumsy roll and scrape the ground. The plane's okay, but the receiver didn't care for it one bit, and I had quite a time getting in and out of there to replace it.

While so doing, I broke one of the leads to the B2C motor. As I was going to swap in an IPS motor direct drive at some point anyway, I took this opportunity to do that, using the original prop that came with the plane (it looks like a 4x2, and fits nicely, if a little loose, on the GWS motor).

I can't believe the way the thing hauls now! First flights were in a stiff bit of a breeze, and I was standing next to a large church which was creating a really nice slope. Right out of my hand, the thing sped almost vertical up to 100 feet, before I could even think to react and shut the throttle down a little! Performance blew me away, if not quite the slow indoor-type flight I was looking for...

I made a few really hot landings, and after a while, the plane kept throwing the prop, so I hung it up for the day, but will try more flights again soon, with both the stock, white prop, and a GWS 3x2 (to see if I can slow it down a bit).

I had an epiphany today. The white prop comes in a thin plastic bag. I'll put the prop on the shaft while it is still in the bag, and then cut or tear the remainder of the bag off to see if it goes on tighter.

The IPS is a little heavier too. I need to move the battery back some more to compensate and get the CG back for better, slower flight (which will let me tuck it under the wings like I wanted to).

Dan.
Old Oct 30, 2004, 08:13 PM
Joined Dec 2003
620 Posts
Schylar - very nice job! I believe you will enjoy it!
Old Oct 31, 2004, 10:34 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bykrdan
Hi guys - I used to wait around for Harbor freight to put their Sky Runner and Lightnings on sale (Graupner knock-offs); well, now they have an AcroBipe knock-off, too!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91311
Where on earth do you get that these are "Graupner knock-offs?"
They come out of China, and graupner is just one distributor for them, but they CERTAINLY did not get designed or developed by GRAUPNER.
Give credit where it is due, these chinese guys design some really wonderful models.
easytiger is offline Find More Posts by easytiger
Old Oct 31, 2004, 12:17 PM
Joined Dec 2003
620 Posts
My mistake - I originally saw all of these models in a Graupner catalog and I guess I just assumed they had been reverse-engineered :^)

By the way, they're now on sale for eight, count 'em, EIGHT dollars at Harbor Freight! I ordered a bunch...
Old Oct 31, 2004, 02:32 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
No problem! I just have to give credit to these guys...they first came out of Hong Kong or Taiwan or mainland China, I am not sure.
The one it all started with was the 22" pusher thingie...it flew GREAT. Just great. The first version even had a dethermalizer in it, and it NEEDED it. It had two AAA cells on board, a GUARANTEED flyaway if you gave it a full charge. Lost several of them.
That eventually was expanded into the Firebird and all of the planes of that ilk. Notice the family resemblence?
The "Graupner Mini Taxi" has been out for a long time, under many names. Cox, Hobbico, etc....they also fly great.
The little bipe is too cute. I'm a-gonna get one of those, looks good for a Cox tee dee 01!
My point being this, I guess...I don't know who the exact person was who designed them, but my hat is off to him, as they are just wonderful, wonderful planes...great price, too.
easytiger is offline Find More Posts by easytiger
Old Oct 31, 2004, 03:05 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,534 Posts
Another Harbor Freight item for those of you intrested in a rogollo (sp). It is a nice flying free flight model. Saw one fly this week in a basketball court. Great gentle circles to the left right out of the box.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91192
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Old Oct 31, 2004, 06:11 PM
Joined Dec 2003
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by easytiger
...I don't know who the exact person was who designed them, but my hat is off to him, as they are just wonderful, wonderful planes...great price, too.
Same here! Actually, these same little free-flight models are what set me on this long, winding path of electric RC planes.

My son and I got several of the Sky Runners and Lightnings (at that price, you can get one for all your friends, too). They all flew great (some of them too great, as you've seen). I put several in trees and rooftops - I got them all back, except one, which just went too deep in the woods somewhere.

The biplane is the only one I've tried so far as RC, but it makes an excellent conversion, I think, and I'm planning on trying several variations. I'll probably get around to the others, too, sooner or later.

D.
Old Nov 01, 2004, 09:37 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,478 Posts
sounds like fun

can anyone tell me is there any brand names ect on the packaging ? perhaps we can get someone to stock them in Oz.
olmod is online now Find More Posts by olmod
Old Nov 01, 2004, 01:13 PM
Hey y'all... watch this!
Bellevue, WA
Joined Jan 2004
852 Posts
OLMOD:
Contact the folks over at UB hobbies via e-mail.
themodelmaster@ubhobbies.com

I paid $11.95 for the Acrobipe and they promise me that they will ship to anywhere in the world at their cost for shipping. They should cost much less than HF to ship to OZ.

You should also know that they have a huge selection of Guillows model airplanes at very low prices. I'm working on a 16" P-40 this winter that they sold me for $7. Click the Guillows link to determine what you might want.