Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 22, 2004, 07:52 PM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
I bought three of these little bipes from Harbor Freight for my actuator systems but they were to heavy for the power systems that the RFFS and JMP could handle so I went with the prototype system we're looking at hard at BP for small indoor stuff. This way I could use the IPS motor direct drive and a 2 cell 250ma pack. I didn't do any lightening anywhere on anything and it came in at 3.4oz all up. The plane itself is 1.8oz by itself less gear.

It's 16" span and just a nice casual flier.
Thatovalguy is offline Find More Posts by Thatovalguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2004, 08:19 PM
Greensboro, NC
Joined Jul 2002
780 Posts
Where did you get those wheel pants? If you want to see it really fly put the gws3x3 and at least the 2 cell kokam 340 (can handle the amps better than the etec 250).
Matt D. is offline Find More Posts by Matt D.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 09:04 PM
Frequent Poster
South of Boston
Joined Mar 2004
846 Posts
These are cool!! I wish I had a credit card :-P
Pete P. is offline Find More Posts by Pete P.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 09:24 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,534 Posts
An LPS setup like is used on the Stevens Aeromodels Diddlebug should haul it around. Works great on a JMP Combo RX on 2 li-po cells. You should be able to keep it well under 3 oz. with an actuator setup.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Old Aug 22, 2004, 09:31 PM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
Well it might just go brushless using a Feigao 1208436 12x30mm Brushless Motor and a CC 10.

I cut down the stock prop so it pulls the same amps and a tick less thrust than the 3030 so I could use the stock spinner. Fly's at 5/8 throttle. Put in 3 10 minute flights tonight. Next one I'll be hiding the servo's inside and doing some lightening to the gear. Didn't want to do the extra work before I knew it would even fly. I know with a little work this system will be under 3oz. Heck I have a 5 amp ESC tucked in there too. It was all I had free at this time.
Last edited by Thatovalguy; Aug 22, 2004 at 09:34 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 09:51 PM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
You know whats even cooler is that the flight pack could hit the street for less than a GWS costs. Thats really cool for 2 servo's that can be made to weigh 3gr's and a Rx that can be made to weight 3gr's or less.
Old Aug 29, 2004, 05:25 PM
Flying Free
Utah
Joined Aug 2001
1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatovalguy
You know whats even cooler is that the flight pack could hit the street for less than a GWS costs. Thats really cool for 2 servo's that can be made to weigh 3gr's and a Rx that can be made to weight 3gr's or less.
Where do I get a couple of these flight packs?
erashby is offline Find More Posts by erashby
Old Aug 30, 2004, 05:46 PM
Auburn, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
54 Posts
this plane is the same as the acro bipe. pretty sure it is made at the same factory. the nice thing about this one is it comes white. You can remove all the yellow paint on the wing with a piece of packing tape and peal it off and the paint peals right off the wing. so now you start with an all white plane perfect for painting your own scheme. I plan on winding a cdrom motor for one of mine and get a full house aeorbatic plane. when I bult mine It was with a dd gws motor and I flew with 3030 props and a wattage cub prop that has a spinner on it. I flew off a 150mah nimh 9V with the case and all and tons of wire stuffed in it. it flew like it was on rails fast and it cut through the wind. I would really love to see more progression on this plane as they fly great and look gret doing it. you cant beat it for the 10 bucks. in both the style and flight performance. I am going to stock up on a few more whn my local harbor freight store gets some in. I like to put a few on the shelf. I still have 3 acrobipes.

oh tI think those wheel pants come off the eagle from the store of wounder site. I bought a couple eagles just for that purpose to put the wheels and pant on my acro bipes.
gpw-Pat is offline Find More Posts by gpw-Pat
Old Aug 30, 2004, 05:47 PM
Auburn, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
54 Posts
oh by the way. you should try one with alerons. no rudder. leave in the stock dihedral. just add an aleron to the bottom wing the full length of the wing.
gpw-Pat is offline Find More Posts by gpw-Pat
Old Aug 31, 2004, 06:38 PM
Flying Free
Utah
Joined Aug 2001
1,938 Posts
I just picked up a couple of the Sky Runners and the Lightnings from my local Harbor Freight. They aren't going to carry the Biplane-bumber.

Anyway, the guy at Harbor Freight said that the Lightning doesn't fly very well but the Sky Runner was pretty good. So, I decided to do some free flight test flights. The Sky runner, I thought was supposed to circle left-well, it circled right, right into a tree from the middle of the ball field. Acouple ov volleyball throws letter and it was retreived without major damage. So I decided to try the Lightning. But since the guy said it didn't fly too well, and since a test flight in the house showed no climb, I put a GWS 3x3 on it. Well, it flew really well. The last time that I saw it it was about 400 or 500 feet up and drifting about 1/2 mile away from the ball field. I hoped in the car, LOL. $7 plus tax and the cost of the GWS 3x3 was worth it.

So, now I know what I'm doing when the fall winds and winter storms hit.

The conversions on both of these planes use actuators, but I was kind of leaning towards the new falcon servos.

You guys who have done the conversions what do you think?
Actuators, or servos? What if the difference in cost was not a factor?
How is handling different?
JMP rx?
Thanks
Old Sep 01, 2004, 10:03 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
erashby,

Just curious how long it took for the Lightning to get up to 500 feet? I just bought one today, from my local Harbor Freight. Did you use the stock charger? How long did you charger? I am confused about the charging, because my "spicy wing" uses a 50mAHr battery. And the Lightning uses a 250mAHr battery. They seem to recommend similar charging time and use the same 2xAA charger.
Kwok_Yu is offline Find More Posts by Kwok_Yu
Old Sep 01, 2004, 11:43 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jun 2003
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwok_Yu
Just curious how long it took for the Lightning to get up to 500 feet?
It only took mine about 20 seconds to get 75 - 80 feet. Luckily a tree stopped it before it had a chance to go for the 500 foot mark.

Quote:
I am confused about the charging, because my "spicy wing" uses a 50mAHr battery. And the Lightning uses a 250mAHr battery. They seem to recommend similar charging time and use the same 2xAA charger.
They recommend a short charging time to prevent climbs to 500 feet. If fully charged the lightening will fly well over a minute (I've never timed it so it may last longer than that).
Hooters Driver is offline Find More Posts by Hooters Driver
Old Sep 02, 2004, 01:07 AM
Flying Free
Utah
Joined Aug 2001
1,938 Posts
Quote:
erashby,

Just curious how long it took for the Lightning to get up to 500 feet? I just bought one today, from my local Harbor Freight. Did you use the stock charger? How long did you charger? I am confused about the charging, because my "spicy wing" uses a 50mAHr battery. And the Lightning uses a 250mAHr battery. They seem to recommend similar charging time and use the same 2xAA charger.
I just plugged in the charger until the battery got hot. I had put a 3x3 prop on it since I am at 4300feet. The stock prop appears to be a 3x2. I let it go and after a minute it was over 100 feet. I started following it down the street. But it just kept climbing. After about 5 minutes it was barely a spec in the sky-so I'm guesstimating 500ft. I was LOL and running back to my car to go after it but I could not regain a visual. I'm thinking that this plane should fly pretty well with an R/C conversion but using the stock motor. Can the stock motor handle a lithium 3.7 volt cell?
Old Sep 02, 2004, 02:26 AM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
That's hilarious. I would be LOL too. Thanks for the info. I will do short charges at the beginning.

I think the stock motor can't handle 3.7 volts. RC-Cam did a conversion for the Sky-Runner. They should have the same motor. He reported the stock motor pulled 3.4A at 1.1V. Must use thick wire for the windings. It would probably fry at 3.7 volts. He used a N20 which pulled 1.2A at 4.4V.
http://www.rc-cam.com/microszr.htm

{edit}
These threads may interest you:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71509
http://www.gregcovey.com/micro-fl.htm
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45121
Kwok_Yu is offline Find More Posts by Kwok_Yu
Last edited by Kwok_Yu; Sep 02, 2004 at 03:44 AM.
Old Sep 02, 2004, 08:34 AM
Phil Huffstatler
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Apr 2002
110 Posts
Fly-Away biplanes...

Reminds me of an old FF story of mine. I had a Flat Albert (all sheet profile biplane, from Model Builder), with a spanking new TeeDee .020 on it. I was piddling with the run time and trim, to get a nice 1-2 minute max flight. My "Buddies", thought that it would be fun to fill the tank all the way up, and not tell me. Needless to say, the next run I got off a smooth running, super lean setting, let it go, and that's when I started asking how much they had put in.... It was a speck in less than a minute, and was lost to the wind gods forever. I hope it landed in some kid's yard somewhere... Cool thing is, my "buddy" felt so bad about it (new TeeDee engine lost), that he gave me an old wore out .40 size Midwest Mustang airplane for it. I flew that airplane in combat several times, then sold it back to him. I guess I got my time and money back...

phil in austin
phuffstatler is offline Find More Posts by phuffstatler