HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2004, 10:59 PM
It's a really big number.
Brisbane Intl, Australia
Joined Jan 2001
1,315 Posts
Hirobo UH-1B

Well, thanks to a VERY VERY good price on the newest version of the UH-1B kit from Hirobo, I've taken the plunge and ordered one.

Anyone else around here built one of the later versions? I'm really after the pit falls / problems people may have had. Any reports would be of great value.

Thanks,

-Tim
Googleplex is offline Find More Posts by Googleplex
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2004, 06:32 AM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2004
1,204 Posts
Here is my Hirobo UH-IB, I use OS 32 size engine, If anyone try to build one I suggest use OS 46 engine, I have reinforce the bottom of the body with another layer of fiber glass, cause others have encounter a cracked after long use...it fly very well, specially making slow piroute, cause the tail rotor is the same plane as its main rotor, no twisting (compare to common helicopter like Hughes 500, Jet Ranger,Bell 222 were the tail rotor is lower than Main Rotor)
lazy-b is offline Find More Posts by lazy-b
Last edited by lazy-b; Jul 26, 2004 at 06:36 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 08:55 PM
Brisbane Intl, Australia
Joined Jan 2001
1,315 Posts
That's a sweet looking Huey. Do you know what version it was? (1 or 2).

I love the paint job - did you do it yourself or is it a factory version? I'm not sure how I'll paint mine yet - I was thinking of a heavy gun version with the gatts, m70 and missile racks, but since I live in a tropical area, I'm wondering the wisdom of having a heli that blends into the background.

I'm going straight for a 50 and running higher gear ratio (around 11 : 1). A 32 would have to be really peaking and the head speed too high IMHO for scale work. Does it struggle much on a 32? Last thing I want is to run out of power on a scale heli...

Aren't inline tail rotors the sweetest? No side blow or tumble out of the piroette.

-Tim
Old Jul 26, 2004, 10:32 PM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2004
1,204 Posts
I am not aware if its version 1 or 2, its been with me since 1998, its original color scheme is (ambulance) white gel coat, with orange sticker, my friend Mr. Johnny Young painted it, he also have the same huey as mine, infact this is his second paint job, he love to built plastic static model, I have also posted a Kyosho Hughes 500 , painted also by Johnny Young. It really struggle much on 32, you can not make a fast decent and recover and the rotor RPM is really high..if you u can attach a 50 thats better, it would be more scale when flying it....low RPM just like a real thing.

-Ellion
Old Jul 26, 2004, 10:55 PM
Brisbane Intl, Australia
Joined Jan 2001
1,315 Posts
Thanks for sharing that Ellion. For '98 it's probably a v2 huey. I managed to snag the new v3 (arrived this morning actually). Has some minor extra detail and new shuttle plus mechanics and redesigned tail drive (how it is different I don't know). It is in the air ambulance colours - I ordered that because I can paint white gelcoat any colour I like - Just have to decide on a scheme . Knowing me I'll make it a heavy gun and curse every time I come in past the tree line to land.

I didn't really consider a 32 for it. Once I have added cockpit and whatever, I think a 32 would really struggle to get out of the ground effect. Wide funkey main blades at 1200 rpm is what I'm after.

-Tim
Old Jul 27, 2004, 12:01 AM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2004
1,204 Posts
Here how I keep my Huey and other Heli, just hung it on a ceiling, consume less space.

Tim, whats the difference between V2 and V3, my huey use cable drive for tail rotor, I make sure its fully grease, this is the problem with cable system, my friend has a bigger Huey, using the same cable drive, he offen experience a break in cable drive due to lack of lubrication....maybe the newer version use 30 degree gear drive for tail rotor.

-Ellion
Last edited by lazy-b; Jul 27, 2004 at 12:27 AM.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 11:00 PM
Brisbane Intl, Australia
Joined Jan 2001
1,315 Posts
Yup, they sure are big birds. Not sure I like the idea of 3.5kg of heli hanging on the roof tho. I had a 2kg pattern plane up there for ages - until it fell off when the hook screws rusted out. Did more damage than when I cart wheeled it at full throttle .

V3 still uses the flex drive (giant spring like thing), and a teflon lined tube by the look of it. I'll be filling it with molybin grease for sure.

I'm beginning to thing what's new is very little. The rotor head is a shuttle plus now and the fan is metal and gearing has been lowered to aim it towards the newer 30 class motors. The clutch is 50 size now. A few plastic parts have been made alloy (bell cranks etc), and some CFC.

My idea of shoving in a 50 has run amok tho - the cooling shrouds moulded into the frames won't allow it - and a 46 upgrade is quite pricey as it requires quite a few replacements and messing about - but the kit is geared perfectly for the new OS37 longstroke - 30% more powerful than the 32 (almost on par with a 46), and will spin the head at 1600 in the powerband.

Do you have any issues with the main and tail rotors being so close (collision I mean)? What sort of mainblades are you using? I am thinking of using Funkey glass blades (don't trust wood as several sets have exploded on me in past), but am worried about them sagging into the tail rotor on hard back elevator or a hard landing.

-Tim
Old Jul 27, 2004, 11:35 PM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2004
1,204 Posts
No problem with the main and tail blade, its impossible to touch each other, the distance between the tip of the main and tail rotor is about an inchs....use wood blade, its better to use a CF Blade to avoid blade tracking problem, cause sometimes the wood blade tend to warp due to weather condition....I plan to install an On-Board Igniter...Just like what I did to ecureil Body heli, I got an On-board Igniter made by FUTABA, it will use the receiver battery, power consumption is negligible cause you use it only for a few seconds, then I install a small microswitch near the entry of the starting shaft...whenever I insert the starting shaft the on-board igniter will activate...I will eventually do the same for other scale heli.

-Ellion
Old Jul 28, 2004, 01:06 AM
Brisbane Intl, Australia
Joined Jan 2001
1,315 Posts
Thanks again - It's nice to have someone elses experience in these things. Blades looked REALLY close on pictures and 3 views.

I'm going for an onboard glow and a switch up the turbine exhaust.

How did you manage the mixture needle and RX switch? I hate opening up scale birds to tweak mixture and turn off / on, or building them without windows so you can stick a finger in.

With the size of the fan and duct work, I think it will get enough air through the mast hole and out the bottom so I can leave all the windows in.

-Tim
Old Jul 28, 2004, 06:55 PM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2004
1,204 Posts
You can see the the other side of the huey (hang on the ceiling), you will notice the switch is mounted outside, window is open, I can access the needle setting and switch fuel valve thru this open window, its just a little inconvieniet. fuel intake is also mounted on the body.....this Huey is a tail heavy I have to use a lead weight if I use a 1000mAH battery pack.....I change the battery to 2000mAH and put it on the back of the nose....it still a little tail heavy. I don't want to add more weight, just worried that 32 engine will struggle more.....the fuel take is located at the rear...it will be more tail heavy after filling the tank.....It will be just right if you put a 50 size engine, I guess that's the reason why Hirobo make v3

-Ellion
Old Jul 28, 2004, 09:30 PM
Brisbane Intl, Australia
Joined Jan 2001
1,315 Posts
Ahh, I see now - Is that the fuel filler by the skull and crossbones? I might run a flexible extension on the needle so it sits on the outside of the body, or if I'm feeling ambitious, I'll make the window removable (small cobalt magnets in frame) and locate the switch / fuel valve and needle all in the same area.

In the end I'm putting one of the new OS-37's inside - 40% more power than the 32 and a LOT lighter than a 46, also matches gearing better. I REALLY tried to fit the 50 in, but there is no way it will fit due to the cooling shroud being part of the frames. Oh well, less power but more run time.

I'm also sticking digital servos on cyclic and collective, so I'll be running a 2400 battery right at the front of the nose to power it all (and balance it). Figure there it is rather dumb to spend $$$$ on a huey and then throwing in $20 servos.

-Tim
Old Oct 12, 2004, 03:06 AM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2004
1,204 Posts
Googleplex, I have a suggestion, can you edit this current thread Heading to "HUEY Helicopter", and lets invite all owner of HUEY Scale helicopter gas/glow/electric to post all their picture or video to this thread.....Just like what I made on a Bell 222 Helicopter.......I will also make the same for others Scale helicopter like Hughes 500 series, Schweizer series,......Thanks

Ellion
Last edited by lazy-b; Oct 12, 2004 at 03:18 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 10:04 PM
Brisbane Intl, Australia
Joined Jan 2001
1,315 Posts
Good idea. Just how do you rename a thread in progress? Moderators - help!

My Bell UH-1B is still in development, but it is all painted and has mechanics installed. Onto the arduous task of sticking on detail bits, but should be ready in a few weeks.

Will post a few images when I get it done. All US Navy rescue colours.

-Tim
Old Feb 18, 2005, 10:28 AM
United Kingdom, England, Blyth
Joined Jan 2005
149 Posts
help needed with setup of hirobo huey

hi i have just bought an old hirobo huey ..

but i did not get any instruction on how to mount the servos ect .or fittings
if some one has a set that they can send to me in pdf format that would be great or if some one has pics of the set up ,that will also help thanks or can tell me where i might get a set instruction that would also help ..

dave
ka244mog is offline Find More Posts by ka244mog
Old Feb 20, 2005, 09:50 PM
Brisbane Intl, Australia
Joined Jan 2001
1,315 Posts
I saw you other post. Mine is the 30-46 size, not the 50-60 size that they made once apon a time, but it still might be of help.

Are all the servos all up the nose section forward of the cylinder head? 3 on top, 2 on side. If so I'll try and scan the pages in for you...

-Tim