HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jul 24, 2004, 08:53 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
Mountain Models DL50 DLG released

The manual is written, hopefully without too many typos. Some cores are cut. The laser files are cleaned up and ready. We have bags of fiberglass ready to go.

I guess it's time to release this product. I just put it on the website. If you see any glaring mistakes, give me a yell.

Now I have three more models I need to start working on...

Doug
www.mountainmodels.com
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2004, 09:40 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2003
82 Posts
Outstanding !!
yeow_hwee is offline Find More Posts by yeow_hwee
Old Jul 24, 2004, 10:44 PM
Rochester New York
Joined Feb 2004
622 Posts
hmm I own a boomer already

gambler... dl50.... gambler... dl50 gambler dl50 .... get a new credit card and order a xp4 otr taboo.....slap myself and begin to wonder again gambler... dl50 gambler dl50...... sigh
windsox is offline Find More Posts by windsox
Old Jul 24, 2004, 10:56 PM
Berkeley, CA USA
Joined Apr 2001
643 Posts
You know the answer...Buy Cheap, Buy Twice! gambler AND DL50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsox
gambler... dl50.... gambler... dl50 gambler dl50 .... get a new credit card and order a xp4 otr taboo.....slap myself and begin to wonder again gambler... dl50 gambler dl50...... sigh
Mighty Mik is offline Find More Posts by Mighty Mik
Old Jul 25, 2004, 12:38 AM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,713 Posts
Well, I should have figured MM would end my streak-I had actually gone 6 weeks without an rc purchase. Now the DL50 is ordered-hopefully have it built in 2004 . Doug, it just begs question, what are the other 3...c'mon at least one of them...

Jon
echoplanar is offline Find More Posts by echoplanar
Old Jul 25, 2004, 11:04 AM
South Carolina
Joined Dec 2002
194 Posts
I just ordered mine too, now i can relax and build for a while without ordering new planes..maybe.. I just recently got the Gambler+ because both planes looked super and i couldnt make up my mind so i just got both.hehe. Now i have 23 or so planes in the hanger, not all built yet though. cheers.
ksavage68 is offline Find More Posts by ksavage68
Old Jul 25, 2004, 11:18 AM
St. Louis
Joined Nov 2002
160 Posts
Matthew, is the wing foam EPS or EPP? My EPP models have stood up to more abuse than EPS. I couldn't tell from the product description on the mountain models site...

I've had good luck with all my MM kits so far: 2 Dandys, 1 Tantrum and one SmoothE.

Only mistake was flying a Tantrum in same field as a Brushless Zagi!

Ozzie
OZZIE is offline Find More Posts by OZZIE
Old Jul 25, 2004, 11:45 AM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
Ozzie,

I work at Estes/Cox Corp for my day job as a product design engineer working with their consumer grade airplanes. This gives me a lot of experience with different types of foam. I have formed the opinion that EPS can be superior to EPP for a number of reasons such as rigidity, glueability, etc. Planes like the ones from Upslope Soaring have very successfully addressed the issues of EPP but I still decided that I didn't want to go that route.

In the end, I chose blue foam. Beaded EPS doesn't cut well in regards to the finish when you are pushing the envelope like we do with a DLG. It is fine for the SmoothE, but I want much higher tolerances for the thin AG04-AG08 airfoils. Because the wing is then covered with fiberglass, I feel that this is an acceptable solution for this product.

We will also be offering just the wing kit in the future in case you do bang up the wing too much. My wing has some major dents where I misjudged the fence posts. Still flies well though.

Doug
Old Jul 25, 2004, 12:14 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Let me add another advantage to Depron/bluecore over EPP. In Texas where it hits 120 in my garage in august, depron/bluecore hold thier shape where thin EPP surfaces get soft and warp. Sometime EPP returns to its shape, other times it does not and you have to help it along.

Just an observation.

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Jul 25, 2004, 01:05 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
Kirby,

Keep in mind that we stopped using the rip stop in favor of fiberglass for wing covering. We didn't like that the rip stop would develop small wrinkles. This airplane will never reach the performance of an XP-4, but that doesn't stop us from trying.

BTW, may I put your video of the DL50 you took at SEFF on my website?

Doug
Old Jul 25, 2004, 02:08 PM
United States, AZ, Quartzsite
Joined Mar 2002
1,630 Posts
Well, I just ordered mine. Looks like an outstanding DLG at that price point.

Regards
Carl Petersen is offline Find More Posts by Carl Petersen
Old Jul 25, 2004, 09:44 PM
Lancaster Pa
Joined Jun 2003
1,970 Posts
Just ordered mine as well as 4 of the rx packs. Im wondering if this method of glassing would lend itself to doing larger wingspans?
This will be my first dlg as well as my first poly glass job. I know the combat guys have been using the poly ripstop thing with some nice results.
I have started a thread in the composite construction forum on glassing with minwax.
Bud Morrison is offline Find More Posts by Bud Morrison
Old Jul 25, 2004, 09:50 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,185 Posts
Doug, congratulations! I'm sure this will be another very successful model for you.

Allan
Allan Wright is offline Find More Posts by Allan Wright
Old Jul 26, 2004, 12:15 AM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Doug;

Feel free to do what you like with the video. If you want a higher res version, let me know and I can get it to you.

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Jul 26, 2004, 10:36 PM
Los Angeles Industry, California, United States
Joined May 2003
461 Posts
cna we get some pics of how the wing is constructed? i've never work with fiberglass/foam wings before
lagcisco is offline Find More Posts by lagcisco
Closed Thread