HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2002, 07:44 AM
Elder Freak
Dallas Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2001
444 Posts
How do you know when a battery is low?

I'd like to know how you know when the batteries are low...

I'm sure the transmitters have low battery indicators. I've read that the controls feel slow when the motor batteries are dying.

How do you know when the RECEIVER is low?

Also, whats the name of that book for beginners in electric flight? I need it! I've got the beginning Heli book but I need to know about motor connectors and batteries and all that.

The good thing is I know how to solder... (I work on PCs.... or I use to... everything is modular now... and I'm doing more administration that service... OH MY GOD! My job has totally changed in just 10 years! Wait! 10 years is a long time! I'm getting old!) Haha
Phoenix-IT is offline Find More Posts by Phoenix-IT
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2002, 08:12 AM
Kodiak AK USA
Joined Jun 2000
609 Posts
Have you checked out the Ezone Faq? Link at the top of this page.
Lots of good stuff in there.
Foxtrot is offline Find More Posts by Foxtrot
Old Jan 25, 2002, 12:50 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,804 Posts
There are indicators and testers you can get to test them. Some are hand held and some mount right on the heli.

Most of us use the Zero Loss or the Deans Ultra for connectors. And there are the Power Polls too.
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Jan 25, 2002, 10:08 PM
Elder Freak
Joined Jul 2001
444 Posts
Quote:
Some are hand held and some mount right on the heli.
What are they called? Do they weigh allot? How much do they cost?

Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2002, 11:51 PM
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Jun 2001
2,216 Posts
Hello

The battery voltage meters are about as thick as 2 sticks of gum and are about 1.5 inches long. They weigh almost nothing.

They cost about 10 bucks.

Here is an example. I suggest you go to you local hobby store first, I guarentee they have them(correct me if Im rong).

https://secure.ioncart.com/helihut/c...801.jpg?id=290

I understand you are trying to make you heli as light as possible, but dont be so worried about your weight. When all is said and done, you heli will fly well and for a decient amount of time.

Just so you know, I use a full size 10 ch PCM JR reciever, and have all the aluminum upgrades(rotor head, frame plate, mixing arms, tail pitch slider) on my Eco 8. All my servo leads are of standard length, and I use a 5 volt regulator which is incased in a aluminum cage(also acts as the heat sink) As you can see my heli is heavy, but I still get 8.5-9 mins on my heli(crusing, stall turns, figure 8).

Carlo
Eco8gator is offline Find More Posts by Eco8gator
Old Jan 26, 2002, 02:57 AM
-Flight enthusiast_
Lake Louise, AB, Canada
Joined Feb 2000
3,567 Posts
Man, I didn't realize how "old school" I was. Should I stop leaving my expanded scale voltmeter (ESV) on the table in case people notice?

Cheers!

Glen
gpeden is offline Find More Posts by gpeden
Old Jan 26, 2002, 04:31 AM
Elder Freak
Joined Jul 2001
444 Posts
Connectors

Quote:
Most of us use the Zero Loss or the Deans Ultra for connectors. And there are the Power Polls too.
Who are these companies? LOL I would have figured you use the same high-quality manufacturers that high end computer and manufacturing companies use. When I was building servers I would only buy cables fitted with AMP or FOXCONN connectors. For instance I tried some off brand low-voltage differential SCSI cables one time and nearly went mad. The interface kept telling me either the chain was improperly terminated or would default to the slower single-ended communication method.

Guess yall don't use regular industrial electronic supply companies eh? I got allot to learn...
Old Jan 26, 2002, 05:21 AM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
well... given that foxconn screwed up a powerbook laptop battery connection so bad it almost forced the recall of a new line of computers... I don't feel much like using foxconn's.

how many computer connectors work for r/c? 2 connections per plug? I can't think of any. drive connectors are the closest, and they stink.

I dunno about zero loss or deans, but anderson powerpoles are the official connector for electricians to use for government installations in the state of CA... also see them used by law enforcement etc. so I wouldn't saythey're unknowns. I've heard of rc car guys using deans as well.

something that is different than computer or automotive connectors is the need for small size, tons of amps, light weight, and ease of plug/unplug. andersons are awesome. no stupid tab like a tamiya or cpu power supply connector, and they have just the right 'snap' in them. very nice. not too expensive, either. and with dovetails in the housing, you can make any size or configuration plug.

now, servos and gws stuff uses .1" header crimp pins, the sockets are the same as those on motherboards, and the housings/pins are the same as those that plug in your power/ide light/power/reset button...

I think the best way to check your batteries for charge is to charge them right before use. nimh's like to be warm, and packs self discharge... charge them at home and peak them when you fly. then you know they're full.
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Jan 26, 2002, 01:24 PM
Elder Freak
Joined Jul 2001
444 Posts
Connectors

Quote:
well... given that foxconn screwed up a powerbook laptop battery connection so bad it almost forced the recall of a new line of computers... I don't feel much like using foxconn's.
Everyone makes mistakes, I've had excellent experience with Foxconn. Given the complexity of a 300 pin connector you can see how mistakes may ocasionally slip through.
Quote:
how many computer connectors work for r/c? 2 connections per plug? I can't think of any. drive connectors are the closest, and they stink.
I didn't say that anyone should use computer connectors for R/C. I know drive connectors stink, they were designed over 30 years ago. Unfortunatly Intel keeps making them part of the ATX specification for backwards compatibility.
Quote:
I dunno about zero loss or deans, but anderson powerpoles are the official connector for electricians to use for government installations in the state of CA... also see them used by law enforcement etc. so I wouldn't saythey're unknowns. I've heard of rc car guys using deans as well.
I didn't say they were unknows, I said, "who are they?" I haven't actively worked at component level for about 5 years. Nor was I implying they were not quality manufacturers.
Quote:
something that is different than computer or automotive connectors is the need for small size, tons of amps, light weight, and ease of plug/unplug. andersons are awesome. no stupid tab like a tamiya or cpu power supply connector, and they have just the right 'snap' in them. very nice. not too expensive, either. and with dovetails in the housing, you can make any size or configuration plug.
CPU connectors are for computers, I wouldn't expect them to be used in this application. AMP and Foxconn are both multinational companies that make a broad range of connector for nearly every application. They make components for use in everything from underwater to military aircraft. (I noticed AMP listed as a parnter on a plaque in a Honeywell office here in Dallas. I was applying for a job building insturment panels for F16's several years ago.)

I was just wondering why I hadn't seen these names in any of the industrial supply companies I use to visit. I meant, are they new companies? etc...
Quote:
I think the best way to check your batteries for charge is to charge them right before use. nimh's like to be warm, and packs self discharge... charge them at home and peak them when you fly. then you know they're full.
Thanks for the tip! How much flying is a receiver pack good for? 1,2... 5? I'm sorry but this is what I was getting at... I don't know.

Thanks!