HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2004, 02:53 AM
loving turbos
Switzerland
Joined Jun 2004
232 Posts
Aerohawk going seperates and/or brushless

I got an Aerohawk with a like90 upgrade (johnson, dualtail, blades) and 2S LiPo. And I like to have some things cleared up after reading for several hours...

BRUSHED MOTOR
If I am going to use sperates I need:
- seperate gyro eg. GY 240
- seperate ESC main motor e.g. CC Pixie 20P (Johnson 250)
- seperate ESC tail motor e.g. CC Pixie 7P (Mabuchi dualtail)
(is there an USB programmer for the Pixie series? Necessary?)

BRUSHLESS MOTORS
If I am going to use sperates and brushless I need:
- seperate gyro eg. GY 240
- seperate ESC main motor e.g. CC Phoenix 10 (e.g. Hacker B20)
- seperate ESC tail motor e.g. CC Pixie 7P (stay brushed? also brushless?)
- one USB Programmer for brushless motors ESC.
Are the 2S LiPo still enough power or do I need 3S LiPo?

Can I hook both setups to my standard RX, the one that came with my Aerohawk? How did you guys solved your way to seperates and/or brushless motor(s)?

Thanx!
turbolover is offline Find More Posts by turbolover
Last edited by turbolover; Jul 23, 2004 at 03:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2004, 03:58 AM
Singapore
Joined Jan 2004
1,830 Posts
Hi

The configuration u have can work. The reason u need GY240 or any Heading Hold Gyro is because your TX do not have Revo mixing. If u have Revo mixing, u have an option to go either :
1 - Heading Hold and turn off Revo mixing.
2 - Normal Gyro with Revo Mixing.

U can either go 50% brushless (main motor is brushless or tail is brushless only) or 100% brushless (Both tail and main is brushless). Good thing of going brushless is it is more powerful than dual motor or direct drive (if u make your own CDROM motor for tail properly) and close to or maintainance free.

Super-Hornet
Super_Hornet is offline Find More Posts by Super_Hornet
Old Jul 23, 2004, 05:26 AM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
yep..you are spot on, and SH also has good advice.

3S lipos not a great idea unless you are brushless on the tail as well. 11.1V will burn up tail motors pretty quickly. A 2s Kokam1500 pack is a great pack for a FP micro heli...brushed or brushless.

You do not need a usb programmer. Handy if you have a few ESC's, but if you just have one, just use the tx. You just need to set it once anyway.
OzzieFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzzieFlyer
Old Jul 23, 2004, 07:42 AM
United States, OH, Strongsville
Joined Nov 2000
2,696 Posts
I would lean toward 3 cell LiPos. Especially if you stay brushed. The GY240 is heavy, and 2 cell LiPos are a low voltage pack. 3 cell LiPos will give you lots of power. Yes, this makes for short tail motor life if you use a low frequency tail ESC. For a bit more money, get a schulze slim 105he tail ESC. This high frequency controller eases the abuse that we put the tail motors through. Brother #1 flew his Piccolo for over a year before his first tail motor went. Maybe not quite a thousant packs, but a LOT. All on 3 cells LiPos. Schulze slim 105he.

Oh, the Pixie 7P is programmed form the transmitter, through a series of throttle commands. (no USB needed)
Vince Herman is offline Find More Posts by Vince Herman
Old Jul 23, 2004, 07:49 AM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
i guess if money is not such a big problem, a good high freq tail ESC makes 3cells viable. I find though that I get good performance from 2 cell packs. For a CP, i'll be going 3 cells

At the end of the day, provided they're configured right, 2 or 3 cell packs will give you very satisfying flying
OzzieFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzzieFlyer
Old Jul 23, 2004, 09:30 AM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,159 Posts
Go brushless for both the main and tail... and never worry about burning out a motor in flight!!

I went brushless on my aerohawk... and the perfomance is as good as any of my 30 sized birds. BUT... it's VERY cheap to repare when you crash it. that is... if anything actualy breaks.

Here's a link to what I just did.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254265
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Old Jul 25, 2004, 11:03 AM
loving turbos
Switzerland
Joined Jun 2004
232 Posts
I found the regular noob-brushless-kit from gobrushless.com and the HiMax 2015 (4100) at helihobby and like either one paired with a CC Phoenix 10 and a GY240. (a CC Pixie 7P to do the tail). Sound like a good idea to me!

But will this hover nicely with my E-Tec 2cell 1200mA or do I need more power? Can I keep the existing receiver or do I need a new one? If a new one, which one? Do they all work with 2 and 3 cell LiPos?
Old Jul 25, 2004, 11:12 AM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,159 Posts
I recomend a 3s pack... but if you make a motor with less turns... you will still get the RPM needed to fly. (maybe a 10 turn main and a 15 turn tail)

Good luck
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Old Jul 25, 2004, 11:22 AM
loving turbos
Switzerland
Joined Jun 2004
232 Posts
@Honda
Dummyquestion: The GB Kit v1.x is just a box of components. But I do the winding myself? So I can still somehow "define" my motor?
Old Jul 25, 2004, 12:05 PM
Blade Springs "Rock"
Central Coast, CA
Joined Apr 2004
2,141 Posts
You should read up on this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251912

G.
Geoffrey109 is offline Find More Posts by Geoffrey109
Old Jul 25, 2004, 01:21 PM
loving turbos
Switzerland
Joined Jun 2004
232 Posts
@Geoffrey
I read through that pages and got all over planes, anchors, magnets, shafts and really going crazy! What I am looking for is not a answer in 2 sentences but as I am a newbie I get very much confused but 20 pages of brushless issues. Can't "we" put that in a nutshell? Like some issues I started e.g. going brushless or switching to another TX etc. (or course related to our microhelis and not related to all RC).
Old Jul 25, 2004, 01:25 PM
Blade Springs "Rock"
Central Coast, CA
Joined Apr 2004
2,141 Posts
Thought it was easy did you......

G.
Geoffrey109 is offline Find More Posts by Geoffrey109
Old Jul 25, 2004, 02:45 PM
loving turbos
Switzerland
Joined Jun 2004
232 Posts
@Geoffrey
Not easy bro. But easier to follow. Everybody entering a new topic needs to aquire a lot of information. Some of it is easy to get and some of it is hard to get. That's where I am. And I am not even native english so it's sometimes extremly hard to understand what you guys are talking about

The thread I started "Micro Heli Setup Listing (add yours) " is one of this places where I don't get the "how" but the "who" and the "what". It's my way to gather information. Get tons of examples and try to derivate the formulas...
Last edited by turbolover; Aug 13, 2004 at 03:12 PM.