HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2004, 06:04 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,426 Posts
Is there Interest in a Profile Printed Tissue Thread?

I'm wondering if there is sufficient interest in printed tissue techniques for me to do a thread on it. Profile and semi-profile planes are the easiest to do, both from the printed tissue and equipment installation perspectives. But, the printed tissue technique is the same for a 3D fuselage just that more work needs to be done on the fuselage and then doing the graphics, although if Fiddler's Green graphics are used this is not such an issue.

I'll soon be starting a semi-profile Staggerwing Beech. If there is enough interest I can start a thread and explain things as I go along.

Here's a teaser of various planes I intend to do. Some of the graphics are further along than others. But, it gives an idea of what can be done.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2004, 06:12 PM
Grizzled Member
Bonners Ferry, Idaho USA
Joined Mar 2001
267 Posts
Gordon,

Count me as a vote. I tried to print a small logo on a piece of Balsa Products "LW tissue" at one point and I'm afraid I failed miserably. Maybe it's the nature of the synthetic covering material I was trying to use, but it took forever for the ink to dry, and when it finally did, the insignia was barely visible and of very poor quality. Have you ever given this a shot on this or similar material? I'm guessing that a laser printer would have worked OK, but of course I don't have one to try.

Very interested in your technique.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Robinson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Robinson
Old Jul 22, 2004, 06:19 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Youve just started it...so tell us more.

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Jul 22, 2004, 09:13 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Go for it, Gordon. I think you may need to tune up the tail on the fork tail devil, though. All the references I have seen of those with the triangle logo on the vertical tail (485th FS) have the full n-number under the boom with the flight number (if present - it is missing in the squadron/signal publication) above as in this picture (but then this one has been refurbished so it may not be 100% accurate)...
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Jul 22, 2004, 10:52 PM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
count me in!
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
Old Jul 23, 2004, 03:15 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Nov 2002
77 Posts
Out of lurk mode to cast a vote, yes, please, share. I still remember the Citabria you and a couple of others brought to life. Love that model.
demoman is offline Find More Posts by demoman
Old Jul 23, 2004, 06:41 AM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,426 Posts
Mike,
Actually, that's not the P38 I have been planning to do. I intended to do Joltin Josie and just drew that triangle etc for fun, so didn't do all the details. Joltin Josie is the one I'll do if my photo pack ever comes (maybe my order got lost). Most of the effort on the P38 so far has been on developing the details of the structure and making a pure-profile Depron version for glide tests with clay blobs to simulate equipment weights, and then determine where equipment should be mounted. Notice that I drew a PU03 and ET-90 with accurate dimensions that I can place in the drawing.

But, thanks for the details. Mabe I should bag my photopack order and just get pictures from you of the P38 you have access to at the air museum.

Ok, I'll start a thread, but am not sure if it will get started before I go on vacation in a couple of weeks. And, as Graham says, the "rules of engagement" will be that people can comment, ask questions, etc as much as they like. But, periodically I may go through and delete posts to keep the thread compact so down the road people don't have to wade through all sorts of posts to get the key details. Think of it like having input into an article as it is written so the final product for later readers/viewers is better. I'll try and cover the basics of creating a graphic in Corel Draw. First, Corel's earlier versions can be had for $40 or less, and the user interface is fairly easy to learn. Second, printing directly from Corel allows the graphics to be re-scaled a lot or a little to the desired size without getting jagged edges and a low-resolution graphic.

It should be fun and hopefully will help people to make the leap to sport scale micro models.

Gordon
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Jul 23, 2004 at 06:54 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2004, 06:49 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Gordon,

You should know me well enough to know I am just jerkin' your chain, and that I'm not above shameless promotion of my favorite bird... I do think this is a good technique, easy enough for anybody to accomplish, and the result on you Citabria prove that it is worth while...

BTW, I built all the parts to one last year when I got side-tracked onto CF props and then stick-and-tissue. I used the skelotonized technique like on the Petit Pete (same as you illustrate), but I needed to make the skeleton thinner to save some weight. I did finish the pod and booms and after carving and sanding the oval profile, it looked very cool and it was quite strong even if a little overweight.
Last edited by Mike Taylor; Jul 23, 2004 at 06:56 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2004, 07:01 AM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,426 Posts
Mike,
You posted while I was editing mine. What time do you get up on the west coast? It's 5am there now.

I know you were just yanking. Anyway, I like the P38 you have access to and I want to try my hand at doing one of those nose art graphics, which I don't think Joltin Josie has. With your input I can hopefully get the graphics better. And it would be more fun to do a P38 that someone I know is involved with.

Anyway, I had hoped to do the P38 in time for NEAT, but I'm not sure that's possible as there are too many planes further up in the que (like a full fuselage Fokker D8, but still printed tissue). The P38 probably won't get done till later in the fall/winter.

Gordon
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Jul 23, 2004 at 07:05 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2004, 07:18 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Gordon,

I get up early. I got used to that when I had to drive into L.A. Even now after being laid off I still get up in the dark; some people say I spend too much time in the dark! Coffee's made, and when Mary wakes up its off the hot tub. Stars are out, telemarketers are still asleep - this is a good time of day!

How big is the P-38 going to be? The one I cranked on was about 24" and meant for two M-20s. I just dragged out the parts, and I was at 1/2 ounce. With the JMP and Pentas I have laying around, and the Falcon servos handy, I may have to finish this one up..

Check out my freind Dave Cowell's new short run kits (http://www.dpcmodels.homestead.com/ go to 'kits', then follow links to 'aero werkes' and finally to 'SRKs'. He has a laser cut dimer D-VIII reproduction of the old comet kit that might be a quick way to get your airframe up and ready to cover... Check out the 'dimers' thread at SFA for some pix.
Old Jul 23, 2004, 07:30 AM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,426 Posts
Mike,
Although I'm not that thrilled with the Fiddler's Green Graphics for the D8, they'll do. Wing is done and covered. Fuselage is wall foam, and covered and almost done. So, this one is more of an Aeronutz type of plane rather than stick and tissue. Thanks for the link. Good info there. Oh, span for the D8 is 13 inches and projected weight is ~12g with muscle wire actuators.

The P38 is still in the planning stage (remember, I can scale it to any size I want). But, right now it is 18-inch span to achieve a nice low 2.5 oz/sq.ft loading. It will use two PU04's propped for max efficiency, which will keep the amp draw down to what the ET-90 can handle. Weight should be in the 22 to 25g range.

You are probably in the hot tub right now and won't see this post till later. I'm about to go into the first meeting of the morning at work.

Gordon
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Jul 23, 2004 at 07:33 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2004, 01:14 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,445 Posts
are you planning on one cell for both motors? or two in parallel?

Derrik
derk is online now Find More Posts by derk
Old Jul 23, 2004, 01:20 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,426 Posts
One cell for both motors.
Old Jul 25, 2004, 01:51 PM
Devon,UK
Joined Nov 2002
255 Posts
Hi Gordon
Look forward to this in detail as I have recently obtained Corel Draw 10 on ebay with limited instructions. I have found this system hard going with the short time available to crack the details. I eventually hope to be able to print out a lozenge patern for small WW1 a/c.
franciscan is online now Find More Posts by franciscan
Old Jul 25, 2004, 03:39 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,426 Posts
I have the tutorial for using Corel Draw about 3/4 written, with screen shots to help follow along. The Corel portion will be the first part I put up when I start the thread.

Gordon