HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2002, 09:17 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,280 Posts
Help..... Fan Fold Experts!

I"ve seen references to pink and blue fanfold.
Are they like the WalMart Foamboard?? Springy in one direction and stiff in the other?? Or stiff in both directions like meat trays??
What say??

hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2002, 09:25 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Hoppy, the fan fold stuff is made by Dow Chemical (bluecor stuff)
and Owens Corning, the pink stuff. It can be had at Lowe's,
Home Depot etc. Usually, about 1/4" to 3/16" thick (sizes in my area). Expect to pay about $24 a bundle. They are sort of stiff.
Has a thin film on one side. But bends fine if you apply a little heat to it. Great stuff!

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Jan 25, 2002, 09:26 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
My BluCor has skin on both sides, which must be removed to do any serious bending. My first attempts were to leave it on, and I had to melt it first to bend it. I skin both sides, bend it how I want, and either leave it, or re-cover with tape, Renolds wrap, or plastic grocery bags (using 77 or contact cement). Covering makes it real strong, but most times I don't need it.

It's similarly rigid in both directions, although I can see a grain, I can't really tell it in bending. It's not near as stiff as meat trays, but much stiffer than stripped poster board.

Get those creative juices going, Hoppy!

Check my www link for a bunch of different pictures.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Jan 25, 2002, 09:57 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,280 Posts
Thanks Gene,
I tried FG and paper covering on the Wally board and it still doesn't come close to the stiffness of meat trays. I guess I'll have to breakdown and buy a fanfold pack. Tell me more about covering with the plastic. How do you get it on without wrinkles?? and now to your link....
hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jan 26, 2002, 04:50 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Actually, there were some wrinkles, but I keep ironing them down. I sprayed the surface with 77 and sorta stretched a little while putting the film down. Once dry, a waved a heat gun over it to reduce the wrinkles. I don't think the pictures are on my photo site yet. I'll look and get some up.
Old Jan 26, 2002, 08:32 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
Fan Fold foam

Hoppy how ya doing?? .. Hippo is the Blucor expert around .. might want to Private Message him .. he has been very helpful in answering my sometimes dumb questions... Vyceroy

P.S. working a deal here local with a company that makes meat trays ..for the sheets.. place is about an hour from me so im hoping to have to make a pick up this week..
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Last edited by Vyceroy; Jan 26, 2002 at 08:34 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2002, 03:38 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Vyceroy: Let us know what it's like. I can get 'virgin' material for foam plates / take-out clamshells, but it's awful thin, .060" It's good for a few things, and I'm planning to use it for a sub 3oz plane when my DU unit comes, but It's not really strong enough by itself for a parkflyer wing. I think .125" would be great.

The company I get from is a good customer. I do the field service on the extruder drives. They have some plants that make the heavier stuff, but not around here.

Maybe the source we all have been looking for?
Old Jan 27, 2002, 04:20 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,271 Posts
Deal me in?

Vyceroy: I too am interested in how your deal for sheet meat tray material goes. Maybe I can take some off your hands?
FlyByMike is offline Find More Posts by FlyByMike
Old Jan 27, 2002, 04:45 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
Will contact supplier tomorrow and see about making a trip down to his plant .. maybe thursday.. will keep you informed as to progress.. Vyceroy
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy