HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2004, 01:01 PM
TROUT OR THERMALS
Eureka, Ca
Joined Sep 2002
2,771 Posts
New 30 inch SAL MHLG and pictures

Yesterday I finished prototype 3 of my mhlg design, building it 30 inch dihedral and crosstail for SIDE ARM LAUNCH (SAL) weight using 370mah pack and too much glue (and a few extra pieces of tape) is 4.2 ounces, 150 squares on the wing.

The previous protos were for javelin launch, with poly and a V tail. These flew great, but didnt SAL. The new one SAL's and Javelins awesome. After a few balance inquiry tosses into grass, I launched into a 2 minute thermal javelin style.

Did about 10 javelin launches, made sure trims were good, swallowed, puckered and SAL'd it to about 50 feet.
The SAL launches go nearly straight up- maybe a 75 or 80 degree angle, making you decide when to tip it into a forward flight, whereas the Javelin launches are at about 45 or 50 degree angle and the chage over to glide is much smoother.

We didnt test the full altitude on launches because after initial testing we decided it started to get too windy for a new plane, caught about 8 thermals, flying for 1 to 3 minutes a thermal in a 1/2 acre clearing. Hand catches are easy- and you can land on the vertical fin on concrete and dirt with no ill effects!

One thermal was caught after I lost the initial thermal and was coming in for handcatch when the plane felt "floaty" at about 4 to 6 feet, so I turned into it. Flew for a minute or so, and landed.

- got a few things left to work on, and make a little lighter. A 150 to 200 mah nimh pack would lighten things a lot, and if you used pull pull cables instead of pushrods, shortened the antenna....used less glue... lots of things to save weight

Some initial pics of proto 2 are here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2&page=1&pp=15

These things are too much fun. Will probably be looking for 5 or 6 proto testers next week. Anyone got the HS55's or smaller and a gws or berg RX?

Dean
steelhead is offline Find More Posts by steelhead
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2004, 01:09 PM
TROUT OR THERMALS
Eureka, Ca
Joined Sep 2002
2,771 Posts
Some more photos
Old Jul 22, 2004, 01:16 PM
TROUT OR THERMALS
Eureka, Ca
Joined Sep 2002
2,771 Posts
And a nice little pic of a later afternoon thermal.

I was flying over a unbuilt 1/2 acre lot. Even though its foggy, dont be fooled- UV rays heat the ground no matter what.

Dean
Old Jul 22, 2004, 02:10 PM
Fort Wayne, IN
Joined May 2002
1,694 Posts
I think you have a winner! I like that size and you can use it almost anywhere. I would go with a small LI-POLY for power. A 1S1P or 1S2P LI-POLY would be less weight and last you all day. It will power HS-55ís and a 555 RX without a problem.

John
jrgospod is offline Find More Posts by jrgospod
Old Jul 22, 2004, 02:18 PM
I wear pants.. sometimes
St. Louis, MO.
Joined Aug 2002
302 Posts
I've got some 241's laying around and I'm willing to do a write up with digital pictures.
thepilotbruss is offline Find More Posts by thepilotbruss
Old Jul 22, 2004, 03:06 PM
ACM
slopetrash wannabe
Belly of the Beast/NorCal
Joined Feb 2003
333 Posts
"Will probably be looking for 5 or 6 proto testers next week. Anyone got the HS55's or smaller and a gws or berg RX?"

I do !! I do !! pick me! pick me! pleeaassee.......
ACM is offline Find More Posts by ACM
Old Jul 22, 2004, 03:14 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,424 Posts
Dean, this looks really cool!!! I'd be happy to test one of these for you! I've got a Pico RX, Pico servos, and tiny NiMH battery standing by. I've also got some CF arrow shafts that would probably be just right for this plane.

dee
dee-grose is online now Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dee-grose; Jul 22, 2004 at 03:16 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 03:38 PM
Oregon, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,124 Posts
Awesome! Flying in the Alley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead
And a nice little pic of a later afternoon thermal.

I was flying over a unbuilt 1/2 acre lot. Even though its foggy, dont be fooled- UV rays heat the ground no matter what.

Dean
Cool little plane! I have a couple of 55s and a Hitec feather reciever just looking for a project. Was gonna do a Plouf but yours looks a little easier/quicker/lessstress/morefun! Id love to test one for you! I have a digital camera also. I'm a shop teacher on summer break looking for something interesting to do and maybe use in the classroom as a student project!

Tony Shires
Tshires@proaxis.com
Tshires is offline Find More Posts by Tshires
Old Jul 22, 2004, 04:16 PM
Fort Wayne, IN
Joined May 2002
1,694 Posts
I have the HS-55's and a 555 w/o case. Also R4P.

John
jrgospod is offline Find More Posts by jrgospod
Last edited by jrgospod; Jul 22, 2004 at 04:19 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2004, 08:37 PM
Joined Sep 2003
118 Posts
I am seeking to return to the hobby and this is a nice little plane, when do you expect it to be ready for sale?
phonics-monkey is offline Find More Posts by phonics-monkey
Old Jul 23, 2004, 09:28 PM
De-Brushed user
Midland, Tx / W. Lafayette, Ind.
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
I have HS-50s and a variety of micro receivers. Sent a PM too. Thanks,
Jonathan
CAFplanekid is offline Find More Posts by CAFplanekid
Old Jul 23, 2004, 10:36 PM
TROUT OR THERMALS
Eureka, Ca
Joined Sep 2002
2,771 Posts
Sales dont start until we are settled on a final judgement on the tailfeathers and the cg etc...thinking August. I have to write a manual as well. Thats the not so fun part of all this. I dont mind the months of research and designing, its the manuals. Anyone love writing manuals, please send me an email

I was out flying the SAL proto today, tried a poly wing and the dihedral wing with both javelin and SAL. SAL's are sooooooo much easier on your shoulders when your testing all day. A simple flip gets you over 40 feet with no grunting needed, even after the 60th toss.

We took some video and a bunch of stills to calculate the launch altitude today. I'll post as link when I get that up, and a few pics as I search through them. The dihedral wing works best with the cruciform tail, and the poly works best with the v tail. Dihedral gets the best altitudes on both.

Right now if I had to guess, the manual and all the testing should be written up in august, after the beta testing and then there will be a run of pre-production kits to test the waters. Its nice to see a project that has made me really excited as well as having the anticipation of you guys.

I really enjoy flying this plane now that we have SAL dialed in, Today I caught so many more smaller thermals than I do with my 1.5 meter. Seems the 4 ounce planes show lift bubbles better, and since these are so light and made from foam, you can quickly land to a hand catch, even without bleeding much speed off to relaunch into a thermal that you just got bumped from, where a more delicate HLG needs to be prepped to land, and a hand catch needs to be made with some forthought. We have caught this plane everywhere from tip of tail, back of wing, at the tip of the wing and plowed it right into our chests and in one case, right into a large 10 foot by 20 foot metal storage crate. It hasnt broke...yet. We'll let you know

If you lost the thermal, fly it at yourself, grab the tip and relaunch without having to bleed off speed for a downwind leg. 4 ounces doesnt break very easily.

Fun fun fun

Thanks for the interest

Dean
Old Jul 25, 2004, 10:44 PM
TROUT OR THERMALS
Eureka, Ca
Joined Sep 2002
2,771 Posts
OK. I have some video, but no where to host it. Anyone remember how to use RCGROUPS to host videos? They are from 500k to 3 megs. I'll try and up them tonight -

Here are some pics from yesterday. Best we can figure from photos and videos, with no real hard throws the max altitude we got yesterday was 70 feet.

Dean
Old Jul 25, 2004, 11:02 PM
TROUT OR THERMALS
Eureka, Ca
Joined Sep 2002
2,771 Posts
Picture one is me throwing SAL, and without using any tools, guestimated at 54 feet. The picture was cut from a larger photo, taken from quite a ways off.

Picture 2 is Eric, SAL, and the altitude is estimated at 55 to 60 feet, taken from larger photo, from a distance away.

Picture 3 is also Eric, SAL, and estimated altitude is 65 feet in the picture, but as you can see- the plane was still climbing from the throw. Again, this picture is cut out of a larger picture, taken from quite a ways off.

As you can see, a lot of our testing is done with no sunshine. The pictures turn out best with fog as a background, but it is also usually foggy here between the hours of 7pm and 9pm.

Still trying to upload the videos I took as well,

Dean
Old Jul 25, 2004, 11:25 PM
TROUT OR THERMALS
Eureka, Ca
Joined Sep 2002
2,771 Posts
Try this- if anyone gets it to work, let me know

right click and save it's a 500k avi file sample of me launching directly into a thermal

http://members.aol.com/outdoororchestra/sal1.avi

Dean