HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2004, 12:27 PM
Dive Bomber in Training
Loveland, Colorado, United States
Joined Apr 2004
27 Posts
How about a compiled list of hints for building/flying?

Has anyone compiled a list for people about building/flying park flyers?

Such as:
BUILD
o Do not use alot of glue to build your plane!
o use velcro for battery placement allows you to adjust the CG easily.
o build your plane to your flying location - tall grass= no landing gear, want to take off=find a place with dirt or pavement.
o If you glass your plane fly it BEFORE painting!!!!

FLY
o bring along a cooler to place your batteries in to cool them down. They operate better when cooler - and charge better. This works best if you are going to stay and fly alot. If you do this I would recommend NOT putting drinks in there also!
o fully discharge your NiMh and Nicads after flying your plane(Not needed with Lipos). Each time you do not fully discharge your batteries you are decreasing the life. By discharge I mean run till the motor cuts off. It wouldn't hurt to fully discharge occasionally too.
o Know other flyers in the area and talk with them. Find out the freqs they use so that you are not working in your garage and shooting down a plane in the park!
o Check your servos EVERY time you fly. Check for direction - you never know if a reverse switch could have accidentally be thrown on the transmitter. I found a tail hinge that was broken this way.
o Do not fly at populated parks!

I've only been flying for a few months - i'm sure there has to be alot more suggestions.
just some thoughts, any more input?
Bonsai Master is offline Find More Posts by Bonsai Master
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2004, 12:53 PM
Mostly in Norman, OK
Joined May 2002
1,868 Posts
Since this is GWS forum ... related to GWS planes:

* GWS supplied glue is good! Use it like contact cement
* GWS hinges are good! Use a drop of foam-safe CA to secure
* CG on most GWS planes are quoted for experienced flyers, you can move it forward 5-10mm
* If you need need to replace a plane, remember that Slope Glider versions are available.

Just a quick comment wrt to batteries though; you don't need to fly till LVC for NiMh or NiCads; just charge and fly. Once in a while you might want to discharge a pack and then slow charge it at C/10. iirc deep cycling batteries (NiCad, NiMh) will decrease the number of life cycles.

As for cooling a pack, DON'T put it in a cooler with ice, etc. You will sooner ruin a pack. Battery packs (esp NiMh) operate BETTER when WARMER. In fact, even if you had just charged a pack 1 hr ago, you can put it back on a peak charger to 'warm it up' - you'll get better performance. Best way to cool a pack is forced-air cooling.
Peter Khor is offline Find More Posts by Peter Khor
Old Jul 22, 2004, 04:10 PM
www.silentflyers.com
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Jun 2004
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Khor
Since this is GWS forum ... related to GWS planes:

* GWS supplied glue is good! Use it like contact cement
* GWS hinges are good! Use a drop of foam-safe CA to secure
* CG on most GWS planes are quoted for experienced flyers, you can move it forward 5-10mm
* If you need need to replace a plane, remember that Slope Glider versions are available.

Just a quick comment wrt to batteries though; you don't need to fly till LVC for NiMh or NiCads; just charge and fly. Once in a while you might want to discharge a pack and then slow charge it at C/10. iirc deep cycling batteries (NiCad, NiMh) will decrease the number of life cycles.

As for cooling a pack, DON'T put it in a cooler with ice, etc. You will sooner ruin a pack. Battery packs (esp NiMh) operate BETTER when WARMER. In fact, even if you had just charged a pack 1 hr ago, you can put it back on a peak charger to 'warm it up' - you'll get better performance. Best way to cool a pack is forced-air cooling.
Besides, if you put your packs in the cooler, it leaves less room for the beer!

Just kidding of course!
Cincy E-Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Cincy E-Flyer
Old Jul 22, 2004, 05:18 PM
Joined Jun 2004
59 Posts
i don't think putting the batteries into a cooler after flight is a good idea, if putting batteries in unusually low temp. is good at all....
WilliamS is offline Find More Posts by WilliamS
Old Jul 22, 2004, 10:18 PM
Dive Bomber in Training
Loveland, Colorado, United States
Joined Apr 2004
27 Posts
it is common practice to put regular batteries in the refridgerator to keep the charge. I was under the impression that a hot battery does not charge as well as a cooler one. And by cooler i mean not warm to the touch, not cold to the touch.
Bonsai Master is offline Find More Posts by Bonsai Master
Old Jul 23, 2004, 12:53 AM
Innsbruck, Austria
Joined Oct 2003
679 Posts
HI Bonsai! (Wow, that rhymes )

What you suggest in your first post is what I've tried to do with my Site GWS-Fans.com

Take a peek!

Rev
Reverend is offline Find More Posts by Reverend
Old Jul 23, 2004, 01:58 AM
Joined Jun 2004
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Master
it is common practice to put regular batteries in the refridgerator to keep the charge. I was under the impression that a hot battery does not charge as well as a cooler one. And by cooler i mean not warm to the touch, not cold to the touch.

that's right
hot or even warm packs are not suppose to be charged, natural temp is the best.
WilliamS is offline Find More Posts by WilliamS