SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 22, 2004, 08:12 AM
Morristown, New Jersey (excl EWR), United States
Joined May 2004
150 Posts
Question
Anybody willing to help me out with a 7CHP?

Have been using a simple hitec 4 channel receiver, which worked just fine, but I upgraded to a 7CHP!

I am currently flying a fixed pitch Viper Heli (HeliHobby Frame), and wanted to know how to set up my new 7CHP to best control my heli in Fixed Pitch mode. I have not really found anything about FP setting up, only CP!

I am running seperates with a GY401, can give plenty more specs if you need to assist in helping me set this TX up!
cracken is offline Find More Posts by cracken
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2004, 09:37 AM
OpenPilot
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
1,792 Posts
I'll help ya. I have a 9CHP and the 7 is the same I think, well at least the software is.

You can actually setup a FP as Acro and it will work but a heli would be nicer as you can adjust the throttle curve to make sure you hover at half stick (or 3/4 if you prefer).

Chose heli mode, with the default swash (SWH-1).

Now, revo mix will be on by default - turn it off by setting the mix to inhibit.

Press the mode button once quickly to get to the advanced menu, find gyro sens - set the mode to gy and the gain to 70% in AVCS mode.

Leave throttle curves and pitch curves as default. 0 25 50 75 100

make sure swash is level at default trims, if not correct either mechanically or use sub trim if you have to. Now fly. Alter throttle curve to adjust where you want the stick to be at hover and you're done.

That's about it really. Might be good to turn off the other channels and the knobs for hover pitch and hover throttle as these are just more things to knock. Read the manual about hover throttle as you might want to use it? I actually dont as once my curve is set.

Great radio, please read the manual cover to cover, it is well written and that way you will get the best out of your new radio.

I've subscribed to the htread so, post anything that doesn't make sense and I'll see if I can answer it.
dankers is offline Find More Posts by dankers
Old Jul 22, 2004, 10:08 AM
Joined May 2004
150 Posts
Dankers,

Thank you very much for the reply...unfortunatley I am working now to pay for my habit , but when I get home today I will try it out and reply back....THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE HELPING HAND!!!
Old Jul 22, 2004, 10:14 AM
OpenPilot
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
1,792 Posts
No worries. Obviosuly, where I said set the gyro gain to 70%, this is just a starting point and you should increase / decrease if you need to.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 07:13 PM
Joined May 2004
150 Posts
ok, started going over this but need to wait a week to actually try on heli, so please stay subscribed to this...appreciate it!

The gyro I left on switch "B" and I did the up to 70% and the down to 75%, is this ok for now, assuming when I throw the switch to the appropriate position I will get those to gain % so will leave me room to play with which is better with a flick of the switch and not to get into programing mode. I do realize that I made need to go higher or lower...

SWH-1 is just H-1 correct? Did not read an area that would let me change the swash, only the model type...
Old Jul 23, 2004, 07:47 AM
OpenPilot
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
1,792 Posts
H-1 must be correct, mine says SWH-1 Swash heli 1

Its the model type you change. Cool, you sound like you know exactly what you are doing, I also change the gyro like that when I'm looking for a good setup, might be worth doing 65% and 75% on the switch and you can see which way you need to go, 70% is about right for my Dragonfly but that's with non-stock blades and DD tail.

I'll stay subscribed for sure.
Old Jul 23, 2004, 07:59 AM
Joined May 2004
150 Posts
Good idea, I will change the one to 65% to get a better idea. I have been hovering and in the hobby for about 6 months or so, working on nose in right now. Only know somewhat of what I am doing because I have been doing nothing but reading!!!! It's is Boards like these and people like you that I have gained the most experience from!

Another question, do you have a 401 gyro? I have noticed that once I initialize the Schulze 105HE for the tail, and return the stick to neutral, without any main motor throttle, the tail comes on and is "alive". I still have not flown it yet as I am waiting for parts, but seems like the tail motor should not come on until I have given some throttle. Do you have any pointers on what to set the two pots to on the gyro itself? (I suspect that is what is telling it to turn on early)
Old Jul 25, 2004, 12:36 AM
OpenPilot
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
1,792 Posts
I'm on the 401 and this is normal as long as the tail spins a little and not really quick, kinda looks like its at idle if you know what I mean?

However, check the revo mixing is off. Mix - Inh.

The pots - first is delay and second is limit. Delay is useful for when your tail servo is a little slow as the gyro will try to over correct its self, I set this to 15%. The way to tell is after doing a quick piro and you stop, the tail will wag a little. Limit gives you more throw on the tail, I leave this at 100% using a GWS-ICS100E speed controller, I get a good prio rate.

If you mean the dipswitches, you have one for digital servos (don't use) and the reverse which is obvious.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 08:09 AM
Joined May 2004
150 Posts
I noticed that in your post, it looks like you are refering to both a tail servo, and a speed controler servo...I am personally using a speed controler for my tail (no servo), would I still set the delay to 15%?

I did read about not using the digital output, even though it probably would not hurt the speed controller, not needed anyway...I also decided to mount the gyro in such a manner that I had to use the reverse feature.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 08:16 AM
OpenPilot
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
1,792 Posts
I'm on two speed controller also, I only have the two standard servos for cyclic. Yeap, the delay helps even in this setup. The gyro has no idea its not connect to a servo and they deal is there to tell the gyro how quickly the tail responds. A DD tail is not that fast so it needs the delay.

You don't need the delay, its just a setting I have on mine, I found that when doing a piro and stopping, the tail would wag a tiny bit for about 1/2 second, the delay fixed this. My setup will no doubt be a little different to yours so your milage may vary.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 09:05 AM
Joined May 2004
150 Posts
Kinda what I figured...but Futaba for some reason gives absolutely no information on a servo-less tail for some reason in the destruction manual...wonder why?

I am running the same set-up as well....assuming you are FP?
Old Jul 30, 2004, 08:02 AM
Joined May 2004
150 Posts
I think that I just figured out that I need to be in the AVCS mode on the transmitter, I noticed a little "n" next to my gain % on the transmitter, and when I took the gain all the way down, it then changed to an "A". Assuming that I am now in AVCS mode...what you think?
Old Jul 30, 2004, 09:34 AM
OpenPilot
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
1,792 Posts
I think you are right. Seems the software is a little different between the 9CHP and 7CHP. Do you have a way of setting the gyro type as well? On mine the gyro type is std or gy (something along those lines anyway). If in GY for futaba, I can set AVC mode or NOR mode with the gain. I's say for sure you need A.

However, there is a way to check as you are on the gy401. Once your gyro is initalised and you are giving no inputs, the gyro will show a steady light if it is in AVCS mode.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 11:29 AM
Joined May 2004
150 Posts
SUCCESS!!!

I also noticed that last night that my light was blinking...now it is a steady light and tail is holding more...wish I could fly it and really test it out, but still waiting on parts!!!!

I put it in GY mode as you suggested earlier, so the software must be slightly different..."A" is the way to be...wish they would better explain things in the manual!!! Good thing I like to play to figure things out...more to come soon!
Old Aug 08, 2004, 09:20 AM
Joined May 2004
150 Posts
Hi Dankers,
Dennis should have been in touch with you by now...has he?

What ESC are you using on your tail motor? I have the Schultz 105he and heard that may not be a good one in conjunction with the EDF40 ducted fan, any thoughts?