HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2001, 07:37 PM
Fight On!
San Salvador, El Salvador
Joined May 2001
603 Posts
zagis make great trainers

For the record. I had zero hours flight time until today when I soloed my Zagi (Speed 400 w/ 8 x 500Mah). The wind was calm and it was a perfect afternoon for park flying. My first flight resulted in a crash since I had dialed in too much up trim. If it had not been a Zagi I would have walked away with enough scrap balsa pieces to build another airplane. I corrected the trim and released the Zagi for the second time. It flew beautifully. I executed all sorts of turns maintaining altitude and just getting the feel for the airplane. Very forgiving airplane. It tells to you when it is about to enter a stall. Landing was a non event (I did manage to score a goal with my Zagi though).By the sixth flight, I was executing loops and rolls and I was landing it a few feet short of my position. Holy smokes! Now I'm really hooked!
I don't think I'm an exceptional pilot for mastering flight the first time out(I'm 49 years old and I don't play Nintendo)and I still have quite a bit to learn. I do believe the Zagi to be a fantastic trainer and I would recommend it to anyone trying to break into this hobby (save the trees and can the balsa).
For my next outing I plan on using a mini hi-start to get to altitude in order to conserve electrons. Has anyone tried this before?

mario alvarez is offline Find More Posts by mario alvarez
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2001, 09:30 PM
colorado
Joined Jan 2001
76 Posts
Congratulations on your first flights

I built a bungee launcher for my Trick Razor with the Zagi power setup (not being Joe Montana, I don't think i can throw it hard enough ), and have used it on my 400X Zagis a few times...if I don't do anything drastic on the way up, I can get about a hundred feet up before I turn on the motor.

Clear Skies
Jim
hammertime is offline Find More Posts by hammertime
Old Jun 22, 2001, 03:35 PM
louisville ky us
Joined Jan 2001
56 Posts
actually you should go with the t52 the fly the zagi.thats what I did t52 is a great flyer and now I'm flying my terry.
2fish is offline Find More Posts by 2fish
Old Jun 22, 2001, 05:10 PM
Frequent User
Broomfield, CO, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,172 Posts
Hi Mario,

Don't sell yourself short. If you are doing loops and rolls after 6 self-taught flights, you are a pretty fast learner!

Or maybe I'm just really slow
yb2normal is offline Find More Posts by yb2normal
Old Jun 22, 2001, 06:18 PM
Fight On!
San Salvador, El Salvador
Joined May 2001
603 Posts
Guys, don't think my loops or rolls were coordinated. I happened to yank on the stick, the airplane responded and I didn't auger in. If you get into trouble with it, just cut the power and you've got a glider. Besides what is the worse that can happen? I just feel that the Zagi is a great trainer.

Prior to flying the Zagi I had purchased a traditional balsa sailplane. On its first flight I stalled it and crashed it into the ground. The wing spar broke and I spent the next two weeks rebuilding and trying to learn how to use Monokote. I was learning how to build balsa airplanes but had no idea on how to fly R/C. So, I did my homework, and bought the Zagi.

If it doesn't rain tomorrow, guess where I'll be.
mario alvarez is offline Find More Posts by mario alvarez