SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 20, 2004, 05:16 PM
Tn
Joined Aug 2003
230 Posts
How to build flashing LED's

Does anybody have a schematic and a parts list of how to build this. I am thinking something along the lines of - Left wing, blink blink-right wing, blink blink- tail, single blink. Something along the lines of that. I am a complete newbie when it comes to electronics. I was just wondering if someone had something easy to follow.

Thanks,

Ben
Ben McCoy is online now Find More Posts by Ben McCoy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2004, 06:51 PM
RIP "Long Shadow Flyer"
Upstate New York-- Rochester, NY USA
Joined Oct 2001
732 Posts
Ben,

The good news is no complicated circuit is necessary now days, you can purchase LEDs with the bliker built in. You just hook them up in series with a resistor between + and - and they start blinking.. Very easy to add lights to a plane...

Sources for blinking LEDs
Radio Shack ( a little expensive now days)
http://www.radioshack.com/category.a...2%5F000&Page=2

Allelectronics ( electronic surplus)
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...200&type=store

There are also kits good way to learn a little about electronics...
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...305&type=store

Hope this helps
Carl
crvogt is offline Find More Posts by crvogt
Old Jul 20, 2004, 07:39 PM
Newbury, UK
Joined Aug 2002
671 Posts
Unfortunately, correct me if I,m wrong, but all they do is blink on and off at a fixed rate - you are unable to control the period. There is lot a of folks out there,
myself included, who have designed circuits to blink more like a real aircraft, which is what Ben was asking for (I believe).
Texy
Texy is offline Find More Posts by Texy
Old Jul 20, 2004, 09:01 PM
Tn
Joined Aug 2003
230 Posts
Thats right Texy.. Could you help?? Thanks for the info anyway CRVOGT...
Old Jul 20, 2004, 09:25 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Get a 555 timer from RadioShack. The application notes on the web more than cover everything else you'll need.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jul 20, 2004, 09:45 PM
Newbury, UK
Joined Aug 2002
671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W
Get a 555 timer from RadioShack. The application notes on the web more than cover everything else you'll need.
..a
Well a single 555 wont give you a double blink, but you could use 2 555's.
The PIC approach is the cleanest of course, but you will need to program it.

My website shows you how I did it. My circuit controls an aiptek optionally as well as my own nav-led system, including landing led's.
Unfortunately I,m in the States until 28th August so cant send you any
PIC files. I strongly recommend learning all about the PIC though.
Blinking LED's are one of those subjects that the tutorials love!!
Texy
www.btinternet.com/~texy
Old Jul 20, 2004, 11:17 PM
Surfimp fan ;-)
Long Beach, CA
Joined Apr 2004
176 Posts
The LM3909 went out of production years ago, but with a little searching, I imagine that you'd be able to find someone who has some lying around and would love to get rid of them cheap. It sounds like it might be what you need, but I don't know about synchronizing them. They're really simple to use; just the chip, LED, and a capacitor. You can change the period simply by changing the cap value.

Here's the datasheet:
LM3909

HTH,
Jen
Jenny2657 is offline Find More Posts by Jenny2657
Old Jul 21, 2004, 12:36 AM
Edgewood, NM
Joined Jan 2002
1,038 Posts
You can use a PIC of all things...

You might also consider discrete transistors configured in a multivibrator configuration to give alternating flashing. You can calculated capacitances and resistances to fit your needs as far as flash rates. You could even use a pot instead of a fixed resistor so you could vary the times.

-Matt
zagisrule! is offline Find More Posts by zagisrule!
Old Jul 21, 2004, 01:55 AM
Tn
Joined Aug 2003
230 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. Wheer do I find info on the pic???
Old Jul 21, 2004, 02:09 AM
Joined Nov 2001
388 Posts
Check out the PICAXE controller if you dont have any programing skills. http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/picaxe/
Very easy to use.

Adam
Foxy is offline Find More Posts by Foxy
Old Jul 21, 2004, 11:26 AM
Newbury, UK
Joined Aug 2002
671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy
Check out the PICAXE controller if you dont have any programing skills. http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/picaxe/
Very easy to use.

Adam
Maybe good for learning PIC programming, but look at the cost, and it looks relatively heavy for RC use (compared to a purpose built PIC circuit).

Texy
Old Jul 21, 2004, 12:20 PM
P-61 WWII Night Fighter
Sylmar, CA
Joined Jan 2004
1,538 Posts
Look in ebay under LED lights. They have small battery powered flashing lights for about a buck that you could just glue on. I bought a couple for a night fly. They were labeled "body lights". Just twist to turn on and off. No wires.
Solcat is offline Find More Posts by Solcat
Old Jul 21, 2004, 12:50 PM
Newbury, UK
Joined Aug 2002
671 Posts
But still back to the original problem - a simple flash on-off-on-off etc, no control,
and not 'life-like'.
Neat all the same, but not what the original poster is asking for.
Texy
Old Jul 21, 2004, 01:07 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,200 Posts
Quote:
I am a complete newbie when it comes to electronics. I was just wondering if someone had something easy to follow.
I would recommend that you look at Michele's model light system. It allows you to create complex blink patterns. http://xoomer.virgilio.it/schieppati.m/prod03.htm

Or, if you have access to a PIC programmer then the Nav-Lights Project might be what you need: http://www.rc-cam.com/navlight.htm

Keep in mind that you will want VERY bright LED's (at least 5000 mcd). The typical "bright" LED's that you get with ready to use Rave-like products are not the best choice. The RC-CAM LED Info page has some LED data that may help: http://www.rc-cam.com/led_info.htm

RC-CAM
Mr.RC-CAM is offline Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
Old Jul 21, 2004, 01:53 PM
dusty bible = dirty life
Oklahoma City OK USA Where fakts still exist even if they are ignored
Joined Aug 2000
2,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texy
But still back to the original problem - a simple flash on-off-on-off etc, no control,
and not 'life-like'.
Neat all the same, but not what the original poster is asking for.
Texy

OK I'm confused! What do you mean by "LIFE LIKE"?

On international civilan aircraft there are five types of lights. The navigation lights; red on the left wingtip, green on the right wingtip, and white on the aft end of the plane or rudder pointing aft. NONE of thes blink on a civilian plane. On USAF aircraft they may be programed to blink at one of several rates. The second type of light is/are anti collision light(s) usually RED rotating beacons, blinking incandesants, or red strobes. naturally these blink on-off-on-off at a fixed rate. However two of them on the same plane may not blink at the same rate. Number three are white anticollison strobes, flash ,not blink at a constant rate. Landing lights, which may or may not flash in alternating patterns for identification purposes, but only with the gear down. And logo lights which illuminate the company's logo on the fin. Usually don't flash.

So what Life like lights are you trying to replicate?
Majortomski is offline Find More Posts by Majortomski