HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2004, 01:56 PM
RCAPA #35
Whaleyville MD
Joined Dec 2003
265 Posts
Need a new Ap Plane for 5 - 10 mph winds

I live at the beach and its always windy here. at least 5mph , alot of times its 10mph. And the slowstick aint cutting it. I hate this plane. I have 3 .40 glows and a couple e-=starters and can fly them fine , but the slowstick just wont fly for me. Im on my 4th one now and this one and my last one always get stuck in a left hand spiral. I even bough the 3 degress thrust correction mount from little birds and it made no difference. So im fed up with this plane. Is there another electric people are using for AP that is a little more sturdy that flys like a plane and not a kite?
drvcrash is offline Find More Posts by drvcrash
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2004, 02:08 PM
RCAPA #14
United States, TX, Wimberley
Joined Mar 2004
1,915 Posts
drvcrash,
Get you a Zagnutz wing! Send a PM to CENTEX FLYER and I am sure he will send you in the right direction.. I am flying a 69" wing that weighs in at 3.5 LBS with both a still cam and a video system.... Get this.. I fly it with an AXI 2212/34 or a little Eflight Parkflyer 400 brushless motor. These motors only put out around 20-25 oz thrust. The motor looks TINY on the plane, but it flies real well... It is also SUPER STABLE.... It actually flies better with a breeze... and the nice thing is landing with a little headwind... Nice and slow with a high angle of attack... It wont go quite as slow as the SS, but it sure does cut the wind better.

Myron
Myron is offline Find More Posts by Myron
Old Jul 20, 2004, 02:39 PM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,888 Posts
Do you have a brushless in the SS? I' ve got a Himax 2025-4200 and fly in 10mph winds with no problem's after takeoff.
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old Jul 20, 2004, 03:12 PM
RCAPA #35
Whaleyville MD
Joined Dec 2003
265 Posts
yes , i have a himax 2015-5400 on it with d gearing and a 12x6 prop. its got plenty of thrust but the plane it all over the place and fly more like a kite most of the time
drvcrash is offline Find More Posts by drvcrash
Old Jul 20, 2004, 03:29 PM
RCAPA #14
Joined Mar 2004
1,915 Posts
DRV,
Get that wing!! I promise you wont be dissapointed.... They are a little bit "mo-tricky-er" to get good camera position, but they are super durable.... I have cartwheeled mine in a couple of times and it didnt hurt it... The park 400 I have is the same as a Himax 2025-4200 and with a GWS 350 GB I swing a 9x5 prop and I have plenty of power... I too was hesitant about a flying wing, but Centex showed me the light... Remember, the whole thing produces lift so it will carry a honking payload with minimal effort... plus repair foam if needed is readily available... Mine is made from the light blue foam insulation from Leos home improvement and the center payload pod is made from Bluecore FF from the same place.... It is pretty fun designing different pod configurations... You can buy enough blue foam to build a couple hundred pods for 30 bucks... hot glue is cheap also... The only thing limiting you is your imagination....

Myron
Old Jul 20, 2004, 03:39 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,474 Posts
A wing loading over 12 oz/sq.ft. will handle almost any reasonably flyable wind..
This plane does it...
And note the 20 mph windsock..
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Jul 20, 2004, 03:42 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Jan 2002
1,199 Posts
You get stuck in a left hand spiral because one of your wings isn't flat.

Look in at the fuse from the wingtip, you'll see one wing has an edge that's too high or too low. Flatten it out, it'll fly better.

I agree with you on the wind though. The SS is a floater for sure.

John
jbc455 is offline Find More Posts by jbc455
Old Jul 20, 2004, 03:52 PM
Fly Brushless!
Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2002
3,136 Posts
Myron, can you post some pics of your setup?

Sparky Paul,
That's a nice looking plane!
Hawker is offline Find More Posts by Hawker
Old Jul 20, 2004, 08:38 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
i have flown my slow stick in 15 mph winds. i have about 35 ounces of thrust and a heavy camera. with the camera on its easy to control in the wind. as long as its not gusty. most planes will be all over the place if its gusty winds.
Kyle G. is offline Find More Posts by Kyle G.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 02:21 AM
Tied to the whipping post
Warm-Sunny-no-Wind, Az.
Joined Dec 2003
2,479 Posts
A guy at our local flying field modified his SS by adding another half a wing on both sides and now its a big stick. Boy it floats and he beefed up the wing with carbon spars and can carry alot more than the stock wing. He is going to upsize the tail feathers cuz it looks like a mutant. I might try this for AP.

Rgds,

mike
DangerBird is offline Find More Posts by DangerBird
Old Jul 21, 2004, 09:40 AM
RCAPA #14
Joined Mar 2004
1,915 Posts
HAwker,
All my pics are high res and I have trouble posting them... Send me a PM with a direct email and I will send you some I snapped last night... I flew last night with my heaviest paylode to date... 9 oz of video cam stuff, 1.3MP still with 2X AA batteries, and 3x 1500 poly packs.... Flew it with a 2025-4200 geared with a 9x5 prop... This config is over 3.5 lbs in weight.... I didnt have my prop tight so I didnt get a long flight before I spun it, but it took off fine and was climbing out fine... the downwind turn and landing bent the shaft on the gearbox so I coudlnt fly again, but The payload is not an issue...

Myron
Old Jul 21, 2004, 03:37 PM
Fly Brushless!
Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2002
3,136 Posts
Myron, disregard. They weren't for me but for everyone else here. I'm happy with the setup I already have.

Thanks anyhow.
Hawker is offline Find More Posts by Hawker