HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2002, 02:21 AM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
Stall.....Crash, right? I don't think the dxa and that prop could pull the moth at that angle. I left mine bare like that for a long time. Where's your rod on the leading edge? I wouldn't risk flying the Moth without one unless I planned on not looping or turning quickly or crashing of course.
Spaulding is offline Find More Posts by Spaulding
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2002, 09:23 AM
Joined Dec 2001
107 Posts
I learned on glow. When you do that, you learn crashing is a very bad thing - total destruction (not mine though, no crashes). Thus, on my TigerMoth I haven't crashed yet.

And, in that picture, it didn't stall, just settled down a bit.

~Matt Segal
segal3 is offline Find More Posts by segal3
Old Jan 31, 2002, 11:57 AM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Dec 2001
92 Posts
Spaulding: The TM will fly very nicely and at a high angle of attack when using the 10x4.7 prop with the DX-A motor. This combo provides over 100 grams of static thrust, while the 9x7 provides around 90 grams of thrust (if I correctly remember my test results). When at stall speeds, the prop is acting much more like in a static test. I see a definite increase in low speed performance with takeoffs and touch&go practices with the 10x4.7 prop.

-Terry
terrys01 is offline Find More Posts by terrys01
Old Jan 31, 2002, 05:50 PM
Checking the wind
Aubry Township, Kansas South of KC.
Joined Jan 2002
1,403 Posts
Great photos of your moth! I like your deluxe antenna holder

I like the 1047 prop too.
kansascloud is offline Find More Posts by kansascloud
Old Jan 31, 2002, 08:06 PM
Joined Dec 2001
107 Posts
Actually, after wrapping the antenna around the fuselage like it is shown, I range tested it, and after walking out 400ft, everything was fine (except for the wait of me walking back to the plane :-) ). So as long as it isn't coiled too much, I think you'll be fine. Just check it.

~Matt Segal
segal3 is offline Find More Posts by segal3
Old Feb 05, 2002, 08:31 PM
Checking the wind
Joined Jan 2002
1,403 Posts
And getting even better!

Just in from the back yard flying field. Oh what a joy it is to fly from home, especially on the gray winter day.

About an hour before sunset today, I noticed there was absolutely NO WIND. Not a whisper.

The old girl made her grandest flight yet today!

She roared off my golf green runway and headed down the steet for a bit before coming in for multiple takeoffs and landings. It was fun to takeoff without any wind and whip a quick 180 and set here back lightly onto the green. After playing on the golf course, I let here climb up a couple of hundred feet and just set the throttle for a slow cruise. I took my thumb off the throttle and just let her go, gently stearing occasionally, (it was so smooth) The Tiger Moth was will above the highest obsticle around by this time so it was wide open flying. She flew and flew and flew. I was amazed at how long the 270 mah batteries were lasting. Even in the cold gray air, the little moth was finding lift. Before I knew it, she was just a dot! Finally I sinced the motor was about to kick off, so I went ahead and closed the throttle. The propeller stopped this time and I was in for a long long glide. The flight ended with a very long sweeping turn over several houses, and the lake. It was beautiful!! I lined the Moth up to thread between the big thorn tree and my house. It came in so majestically, (still with the prop stopped) and made a perfect landing on the carpet like green, right at my feet.

After almost 30 years of RC flying, what a thrill!

I wish a flight like this to all of you.

Mike
Old Feb 06, 2002, 04:24 AM
South Carolina
Joined Jan 2002
71 Posts
Mike,

You story above is great!

When and if you get bored flying with the 270 mah nicad batteries from GWS, purchase the Great Plane 550 mah nickel hydride batteries from Tower Hobbies for $27.

WOW!!!

Keep in mind, I have not gotten to fly in calm wind since all of the opportune days have been 3 - 6 mph winds.

I finally got bored with 10 - 11 minute flights from the GWS 270 mah nicad batteries.

I saw one of the other members post here about how great the Great Planes 550 mah nickel hydride battery pack was with the GWS motor and how the Great Planes battery pack fit in the battery compartment.

I received my Great Planes 550 mah nickel hydride battery pack this past weekend...........let me tell you..............while the battery pack fit ..........it was tight...........and .............the best part...........I got 25 minute flights at full throttle with a 5 - 7 mph constant wind!!

Unbelievable!!

I was actually tired and relieved when the batteries started to get weak......they never actually went dead.......just started slowing down after 25 minutes.........so I landed.

So, when and if you get bored with the 10 - 11 minute flights (at full throutte with 5mph winds) try the Great Planes 550 mah nickel hydride batteries from Tower.........25 minute full throttle flights..........can't wait to see how long I can fly without any wind.......Ken.
kenflyer is offline Find More Posts by kenflyer
Old Feb 06, 2002, 08:10 AM
Checking the wind
Joined Jan 2002
1,403 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion on the batteries. I have quite an assortment of them by now. I usually have several charged and head outside with a few of them in my pocket. My favorite for the Moth is probably the 7 cell 300mah NiMh from www.radicalrc.com. Just a nice balance in weight and power. I also have one of their 8 cells. LOTS of power but rumored to burn up motors a little fast. I use this one on windy days. (8-10mph) but really like the 7 cell best. I usually get around 25 minutes goofing around. I'll try one of the Tower packs next! Yes the wind does seem to zap them faster doesn't it?

Mike