HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2002, 06:57 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,678 Posts
Hi Terry,

It's nice to see an older TM still looking and flying well. If you find that your strut to wing joints are breaking, then flying wires will virtually eliminate this. Hard landings or aggressive flying would often result in a failure of this glue joint on my TM, but since I've installed the wires, no problem!

Regards,

Scott

www.tigermothsquadron.com
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2002, 02:06 AM
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
103 Posts
No Shame Here!

Mike,

As mentioned previously, my Moth has had more than its share of "incidents". This first picture shows how a wing can look after being torn into seven pieces. Some breaks hardly show. Your decision whether it's expert repair or poor camera work. Ahem.

The strut which can barely be seen is just like an original--I simply traced a new one on the plastic leftover. Rule No. 1 in model building: NEVER throw ANYTHING away.
Flash is offline Find More Posts by Flash
Old Jan 26, 2002, 02:52 AM
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
103 Posts
Ah! The Motor Setup!

Mike,

What you are about to see is a highlly secretive proprietary bit of information. Oh what the heck. You won't tell any one.

The motor stick was broken so many times I was no longer able to nurse it along. I prolonged it by adding the horizontal piece to the firewall but that fix was short lived. I attempted to drill out the old motor stick but the tough epoxy made a lot of foam come with it.

I made up a new motor stick, (and a couple of spares), and with a couple of pins made from paper clips, they secure the motor and the mount to the firewall. To fill the void in the fuse made while drilling I made the proper positioning place inside by using SPACKLE!

The black "exhaust pipes" are soda straws in what was an early attempt to add cooling. I had pulled a Bleriot by frying a motor while doing a stupid "how long will the motor run on a charge" static run. You can see that I now have carved out the battery compartment almost completely to handle my 830 Qualcoms and have plenty of cooling!

I'm thinking of jobbing my model building out to Boomer, but I don't know if he's up to imaginative repair work. :-)

You can see my poor Moth is kinda raunchy. The problem is that parts of it are so rough looking that my flying buddies at the flying site feel that they have to beat it with sticks! What's a guy to do?
Flash is offline Find More Posts by Flash
Old Jan 26, 2002, 08:25 PM
South Carolina
Joined Jan 2002
71 Posts
Great looking Tiger.

Hope to get one next month.

I have been flying the GWS Red Baron and have just ordered the GWS Cub......all on the same frequency......and really am afraid that I am hooked on these little electrics.......

Probably will never sell all my glow planes but doubt I will build anymore........now I can take my GWS foamies to work and fly every day at lunch that that the wind allows.......this is too cool....almost sinful.....but what the heck.....that is what RC flying is all about.

I fly my glow planes only on the weekend since the club flying field is 54 miles round trip.....I take my GWS foamies to the local schoolyard 5 minutes away from the house.......this is really loads of fun.....well got to go charge up the batteries for another dawn patrol in the morning!!
kenflyer is offline Find More Posts by kenflyer
Old Jan 26, 2002, 10:08 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,678 Posts
Kenflyer,

You hit the proverbial nail on the head:

"now I can take my GWS foamies to work and fly every day at lunch that the wind allows.......this is too cool....almost sinful.....but what the heck.....that is what RC flying is all about".

That's what I do every time I get the chance.

Regards,

Scott

Old Jan 30, 2002, 12:42 PM
Checking the wind
Aubry Township, Kansas South of KC.
Joined Jan 2002
1,403 Posts
More Photos

Does anyone else have a photo of their experienced Tiger Moth? Show us a photo and tell us the story of your airplane. Where you fly it, how often etc. etc.

Mike
kansascloud is offline Find More Posts by kansascloud
Old Jan 30, 2002, 03:13 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Dec 2001
92 Posts
Scott (galloping ghost): I've not found a need for the flying wires. I took one look a the plastic struts and built balsa struts. I use stiff 1/16 balsa. It makes the wings pretty stiff all by themselves.

Flash: I also had a problem with a broken motor stick. I solved it by epoxying three small pieces of 1/16 ply to the firewall and screwing the motor to the firewall. The advantage is that I am able to change the motor's thrust angle. I had to cut away about 1/2 of two fins on the heatsink so I could get to the lower screws. I've had no further problems with the motor mount.

Photos at http://www.netcordia.com/airplanes/tiger-moth.html

-Terry
terrys01 is offline Find More Posts by terrys01
Old Jan 30, 2002, 05:10 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,678 Posts
Terry,

I like your balsa struts. My plastic ones were bowed pretty bad too, however I was able to straighten them with some very careful "back bending".

The real advantages of the strut wires are twofold. One, I no longer have any side to side movement of the top wing in relation to the bottom wing. Two, hard landings that often broke the strut glue joints no longer do so.

You've got some great info on your site.

Regards,

Scott

Old Jan 30, 2002, 07:06 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Dec 2001
92 Posts
Scott,

I don't have much upper wing sway. The balsa is stiff enough to prevent it. I also round the leading/trailing edge of the balsa so it reduces drag a bit. Hard landings don't seem to bother the wings unless it is one of the nose-into-ground-at-high-speed "landings" ;-).

Glad you like the web page. It started as a short article for the local flying club, and has grown from there. My other planes are at http://www.netcordia.com/airplanes .

-Terry
terrys01 is offline Find More Posts by terrys01
Old Jan 30, 2002, 08:35 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Mike, here's a pic of mine. Been flying it since the middle of October so it's not really that old. Has had 82 flights (battery packs), about 19+ hours. Got a new motor after eleven flights (2-1/2 hours). Have broken 3 9x7 props and smashed the cowl and made a balsa replacement.
Some small cracks along the landing gear channel have been backed up with scrap plastic. One bottom wing was cracked about half way in a crash. No other carnage except struts popped loose. So far. Get about 15 min per MH pack and 25 min from LI. (LI may get longer with more cycles)

Probably should add that this is my second plane. The first was a PicoStik that was retired undamaged after 31 flights. I have a grand total of 136 flights to my name.

Is this is a great airplane, or what?

Terry, I didn't like the floppy struts either so glued cf rod the the le and te of the outer struts. Very light, stiff and round. After flying a bit I added another rod between the cabanes and that help a lot with side to side sway. After more flight testing I decided to try flying wires to keep the wings from bending during loops and also just because I like the way they look. They probably add more drag than they are worth but to me when they are not there it looks like something is missing.

Regards,

BC

more pics on my site

this pic's from 1-12-02, before the TM Squadron sticker.
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Last edited by Basketcase; Jan 30, 2002 at 10:08 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2002, 08:41 PM
Checking the wind
Joined Jan 2002
1,403 Posts
NIce Airplane

Your old TM looks great. I can tell it is loved. Can't believe you actually made that yellow tape work!

Mike
Old Jan 30, 2002, 08:52 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
I didn't get the tape to work. I butchered it so bad trying the double stick tape and peeling everything off to use CA and baking soda that I had to cover it up with packing tape and paint it.

The wings needed to be painted to match the fuse because I sanded it to get rid of the bumps and messed up the paint so bad it needed new paint. They were *very* light coats. The paint job turned out to be kind of a practice run for my Stearman.

For bang for the buck the Tigermoth is the most fun I've had for a long time.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jan 30, 2002, 09:00 PM
Faster Faster!!
Kaysville Utah, U.S.A
Joined Oct 2001
1,717 Posts
168 flights on mine.
Still has the original motor and cowling.
I have only broken 1 prop since I have had this bird.
That was due to the second flight, when it slammed full throttle into the side of my house.
15 min. was all it took to fix and I can't even tell where the dents were.
All time best flight was today. After a full charge on the lithiums I went for altitude.
for about 5 min. I just kept circling and climbing until it was a small speck in the sky. I cruised around for another 25 min.
Chopped the throttle and brought it in right over my neighbors roof for a perfect 3 point landing at my feet.
These planes are a blast!!!

RCFlybry is offline Find More Posts by RCFlybry
Old Jan 30, 2002, 11:56 PM
Checking the wind
Joined Jan 2002
1,403 Posts
That yellow tape

Hey BC:

What is the deal with that crummy yellow tape and the 2 sided tape to hold the wings together anyway? Mine ended up just like yours. Mine worked out fine and has been strong but it was such a mess when I finished it, I had to put covering over it to hide the ugly mess. I'm building my second TM now and now I know better.

Mike
Old Jan 31, 2002, 12:02 AM
Joined Dec 2001
107 Posts
Only 5 flights on mine :-) (Haven't felt like putting the stickers on yet)

How do you like the climb angle? :-)

~Matt Segal
segal3 is offline Find More Posts by segal3