HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2002, 11:23 PM
Checking the wind
Aubry Township, Kansas South of KC.
Joined Jan 2002
1,402 Posts
Old Tiger Moth Just Gets Better

I love this thing! Now on its' 2nd motor, my GWS Tiger Moth now has an estimated 50 flight hours on it. (that equals about a million t/offs and landings)

The reason it has so many hours on it is simple. First- it flys well, Second-I fly it from my yard so when I get home in the evening the TM goes for a flight if the wind isn't up. I flew large glow airplanes for 30 years and lately could only manage a few flights a year. (never gonna fly glow again) Now I fly more in a week than I was used to doing in a year! Flew it last week when it was 12 degrees. It flew right out of my garage. 4 feet in the air when it went out the door. Taxied back in at the end of the flight. I stayed warm!

I though you guys might enjoy seeing what a 50 hour Tiger Moth looked like. Below is a photo.

About my Moth. I built it almost completely stock. I can't see a real need for most of the mods I read about. Sure the wing flexes a little, but it doesn't seem to bother anything? I even like the origional struts. When you wreck and break a wing, they simply allow things to unfold a bit and nothing really gets hurt too bad. I use 7 and 8 cell 300mah NIMH packs from www.radicalrc.com most of the time. I think their weight to power ratio is about right. The 9-7 prop works well as does the 10-47. The more a fly it the more I love it.

Mike
kansascloud is offline Find More Posts by kansascloud
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2002, 11:46 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Great stuff. I hope I get 50 hours on mine in much the same way. It has about 3 hours on it, but almost all of it right from my driveway.

Wonderful airplane.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jan 23, 2002, 11:58 PM
Dangerous
LA
Joined Nov 2001
871 Posts
Wow, that is in much better shape than my moth. I have almost that much time on mine and it has almost two tubes of epoxy on it. I push it to the limit though. Maybe I'll share what my moth has been through. I have painted it and sanded the paint off because it weighed too much, I have strapped a s300 and an 8x1600mah nimh for a couple flights(don't do it), I have taken it up as high as it possibly could go(I could barely see it - a speck) and sent it spiraling straight down and pulled back at the last second(broke two struts but I keep doing it). All this torture has broken the wings three times and the fuse twice. The dowel on the leading edge has even cracked twice. Mine now weighs 10oz with qc830's, pico gear, and m100. It still flies like a champ and is my favorite of nine planes.
Spaulding is offline Find More Posts by Spaulding
Old Jan 24, 2002, 01:24 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,653 Posts
Hi Mike,

You've got a nice "high hour" TM there. How many flights do you think you got out of your original motor? I just picked up a new IPS motor/gearbox just in case. Mine has around 25-30 flights on it.

I can relate to flying in cold weather here in NW Ohio, though last Sat. was beautiful. It was around 35 degrees, sunny, and dead calm. I even managed to find a big thermal off the parking lot I was flying at.

I agree that a lot of the mods just add weight, but I think that flying wires are very worthwhile. They really strengthen the entire wing structure and seem to make the airplane fly a little tighter.

Regards,

Scott

www.tigermothsquadron.com
Model Aero is online now Find More Posts by Model Aero
Old Jan 24, 2002, 01:38 PM
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Jun 2001
244 Posts
Mike,

Thanks for the post. It is nice to see that you don't have to do all the mods to have a nice flying TM.

I have nto finished mine yet, but hope to have many hours on it as well. I plan on using the QC 830's. Two full flights will be close to an hour alone.

Can't wait to finish. Too many porjects...and too little time.

SeanB
SeanB is offline Find More Posts by SeanB
Old Jan 24, 2002, 05:09 PM
Checking the wind
Joined Jan 2002
1,402 Posts
Hi Scott and Sean!

Not sure how many flights were on my Moth before I used up the motor, but it was a BUNCH! I'd guess over a hundred 300mah battery charges? I also unknowenly abused the motor quit a bit. No heat sink and I even did a lot of static running in my shop experimenting with different props and such. May have been preserved a bit by extremly cool temps here in the Midwest. I never flew the old motor when it was over 60 degrees. Anyway, I just picked up a spare motor for 14 bucks as a spare. It is such cheap fun, I don't really care if I use up a motor now and then. I now also have an 8 cell MIHI back so that make take its' toll too. I did get a heat sink at the same time.

Good luck getting in the air Sean! You are going to love it.

Mike
Old Jan 24, 2002, 07:28 PM
ny
Joined Dec 2000
1,270 Posts
I flew the ICs for a long time but they got to be more trouble than the were worth. Pack up,clean up, unpack then you got to field you found there was 5 guys with you Freq.So gave it up for a few years then I picked up a MAN seen the park flyer and was love at first sight. Was playing with elec. for some time but with the motors and the car batterys to use the just didn't fly that well. But with all the light stuff they have now and more keeps coming what more can you ask for.
russ6421 is offline Find More Posts by russ6421
Old Jan 24, 2002, 10:45 PM
Senior to who? Member
Annapolis, Maryland USA
Joined Feb 2001
2,450 Posts
I dont know if I should be envious or not, of you guys coming from a long time involvement that you have be come less than happy with(slimers at the local club field) and now finding new joy in electric flying.

I reentered the RC modeling world last year after a 35 year layoff.
I guess I've missed a lot but the good news is Im flying slimers at the local club and loving it(nice club and people). I fly park flyers at a VERY convient school with a large and well,edge lit parking lot and a monster sized field. I am building a fleet of micro indoor scale planes and I regulary fly GP's RealFlight 2 .
Dare I say, life is good? At this rate I just might make up for that 35 year lapse.
crossup
crossup is offline Find More Posts by crossup
Last edited by crossup; Jan 24, 2002 at 10:47 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2002, 12:45 AM
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
103 Posts
The Dear Old Moth!

Actually my Moth isn't very old, it just looks that way. It's had way more than it's share of "incidents". I'd gladly post a picture of the dear, but it would really show up worse than the World Trade Center site. I mean bad!

I've replaced and glued the motor mount stick 'til you wouldn't recognize it. Now have a Rube Goldberg mount having to use two pins made from paper clips. Last Saturday a fast sport model flew through the upper wing and shredded it into several pieces. Journey rigged new struts. A bandaid marks the spot, enscribed "Dick did it!"

I estimate I've used somewhere in the vicinity of 2 1/2 gallons of epoxy and about quart of gold CA to keep it all together. One of the spidery little wheels broke near the hub and put on so much epoxy for this repair that I had to use a bunch of lead weights to make the wheel balance. Used wheel balancing lead from what I believe was a 1939 Pontiac Chief. (A six.)

The cowling has been split in so many places and epoxyed into one piece so much that it resembles some museum piece of crazed crystal.

So the question is, does it still fly? This morning my pretty little yellow Moth did all kinds of didos around my nearby park. Soared high and then did a lot of scale like circles right before my delighted eyes. Folks, we have us a bird for the ages!

Like a Timex watch. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking!
Flash is offline Find More Posts by Flash
Old Jan 25, 2002, 06:02 AM
Plane hugging cat
Mackay Queensland Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,355 Posts
Mike, my story is much like yours. Been flying for over 22 years but only on odd occasions. Been flying electrics successfully for 14 years now. First attempted it 22 years ago with poor results. At least I tried!

I learned to fly with sailplanes. This has left me with 2 legacies. 1 - I have to land dead stick whether the plane now has a motor or not and 2 - I can't ROG for all the tea in China!

My Mini Max has over 60 hours on it, mostly flying in the back yard. It looks pretty beat up now kinda like it would if a cow tried to eat it. Oh hang on... a cow did try to eat it!
Vonbaron is offline Find More Posts by Vonbaron
Old Jan 25, 2002, 06:23 AM
Iron Maiden -Aces High-
Boston
Joined Nov 2001
28 Posts
TM in the box..

It's been so windy here in Bostoin that my TM is still in the box and I have not even built it yet. I have my stick and stick-f for the days when it smooths out.

I am also tkaing the time to repair some of this summer's mistakes on my me-109 (don't ask, I am trying to forget).

I hope my TM gets to 50 ! Great job
Luftwaffe is offline Find More Posts by Luftwaffe
Old Jan 25, 2002, 12:19 PM
Ahhgh! Not ANOTHER new plane!
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2001
2,700 Posts
KC hit the nail on the head talking about the amount of flying you can do with electrics. My good friend flies .40 fuel planes. He has to drive 40 minutes to a field, then wait for space, etc., etc. He gets out once every few weeks. I fly twice a week, in the mornings. My flights are ~15 minutes each, usually do 2 or 3 a day. So, who do you think has logged more flight hours?

Absolutely nothing against gassers. If it was convenient, I'd probably be flying them too. I just smile, though, when they look askance at the "short flying times" electrics give.
Robert Stinson is offline Find More Posts by Robert Stinson
Old Jan 25, 2002, 12:27 PM
jam on it?
prescott, az
Joined Jan 2002
32 Posts
50 HOURS?!?!?! Geez.. I think I was on say, hour one, when I had to purchase TM #2!!! oh well, I use the wing from the old one and its doing good, on "tape" support. a few looping-too-close-to-the-ground incidents as well as a few pilot error landings and its still holding up (with about 1 lb. of tape!). This new one I'm hoping to get some more time out of her.
kindferris is offline Find More Posts by kindferris
Old Jan 25, 2002, 02:24 PM
Checking the wind
Joined Jan 2002
1,402 Posts
Flash:

You gotta post a picture of that beast. I'll bet everyone one enjoy seeing that old jewel

Mike
Old Jan 25, 2002, 03:36 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Dec 2001
92 Posts
My TM has quite a number of flights on it since the end of August and it is still going strong. I've gone through two motors and three gearboxes - working on the fourth gearbox. The new motor is a carbon brushed version.

My TM was begining to look a bit ratty, so I invested some time to clean it up. I filled in some of the gouges, repained with Tamiya paint, installed the decals, and added a crew. I started out with balsa struts because I didn't care for the plastic struts supplied. The balsa works well and does not need supporting wires to produce a stiff wing.

Both upper and lower wings have been reglued several times. I am always careful about how much glue I use - applying only enough to cover the exposed foam and wipe off any that squeezes out.

I built my own wheels when the original ones broke. I have a set of the foam wheels on order from Hobby Lobby so that it looks more realistic and will hopefully roll a bit better.

It weighs 212 grams (7.44 oz) as shown, no battery. I use the DX-A motor, 9x7 or 10x4.7 prop, and two 550mAh LiIon batteries for minimal weight and good flight times.

It's a great plane!

-Terry
terrys01 is offline Find More Posts by terrys01