SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 18, 2004, 11:31 PM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
Guillows building board. Where Can I find them?

I have looked at several places that carry the guillows kits and nothing so far. Http://www.guillow.com does nothing.
Any ideas folks?
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2004, 12:03 AM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,420 Posts
Try: cust_service@guillow.com They treat modelers well. They will sell you anything you want. Plans, decals, pilots,etc.

Steve
St. Martin is online now Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Jul 19, 2004, 01:10 AM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Buy an untextured 2'x4' ceiling tile: in one piece it will build pretty well any Guillows kit, and if you only build the smaller kits, cut into 3rds, then you're set for boards for quite awhile. They stay fairly flat (if you live in a high-humidity area, use screws on the corners to hold it flat), they accept pins better than most other materials, and they're cheap.
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Jul 19, 2004, 03:18 AM
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
Thanks guys. I was just a bit worried that I couldn't log onto the Guillow's site.
I have been wondering who else may have carried the boards since so many carry the kits.

The false ceiling tile idea sounds good too. Easily had around here. plus I saw a magnetic building board that bears some looking into. I already have a sheet of 13X20 steel I could use. plus some odd magnets around. I bet there are some tricks that could beat pins one can do with magnets. Wouldn't completely replace a regular board. It would complement the building system. I need to make some sandbags too! Those can come in handy.

You guys are great! Thanks!

Robert
Old Jul 19, 2004, 08:26 AM
easily confused
Nashville Metro, Tennessee, United States
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willin
Thanks guys. I was just a bit worried that I couldn't log onto the Guillow's site.
I have been wondering who else may have carried the boards since so many carry the kits.

The false ceiling tile idea sounds good too. Easily had around here. plus I saw a magnetic building board that bears some looking into. I already have a sheet of 13X20 steel I could use. plus some odd magnets around. I bet there are some tricks that could beat pins one can do with magnets. Wouldn't completely replace a regular board. It would complement the building system. I need to make some sandbags too! Those can come in handy.

You guys are great! Thanks!

Robert
I bought a magnetic building board from Easy Built, and found that without the anchor provided by pinning parts could shift on it. Will now use it for a memo/message board, likely Though I'd agree that it could be useful for holding odd shaped bits together while their glue dries.

I'm still using a Graupner laminated balsa building board I got from Hobby Lobby years ago. They sell a couple of different sizes. I really like their building pins too, the ones with the oversized plastic heads so you don't get sore fingers.

Glenn
mu2freighter is offline Find More Posts by mu2freighter
Old Jul 19, 2004, 10:34 AM
Crazy but Loveable
Lincoln Municipal, Nebraska, United States
Joined May 2004
427 Posts
I logged onto Guillows website, clicked on the bare bones biplane, then clicked on the Thomas Morse Scout, and when it came up the 48" workboard was right beside the model.
flyboy2610 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy2610
Old Jul 19, 2004, 11:25 AM
Nashville, Tennesse, United States
Joined Mar 2004
195 Posts
I use depron for my building board. Easy to use, cheap. Works for me.
Andrew
Higher is offline Find More Posts by Higher
Old Jul 19, 2004, 12:05 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,841 Posts
I used the ceiling tiles. My table is one of the folding plastic topped ones I got from Costco. Ceiling tile I actually get from my LHS cause the hardware store only sells in lots of ten. I get one 2'x4' for $7. Get a new one every three or four builds. Takes pins well. You can also cut on it without dulling the knife too much.

I also have a large pad of grid paper I use on the board. Spray with adhesive and put on board. That way, when it comes to put wings and such on I have ready made square references.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jul 19, 2004, 12:29 PM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,286 Posts
Wiilin, I use a balsa building board from Tower Hobbies. It is beautiful!!!! It is 12"X48". Give this a try if you do not have any luck obtaining one through Guillows. Later...........Greg
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old Jul 19, 2004, 01:08 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,600 Posts
Their web site is back up. I ordered a 48" one direct last year. It's great.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2004, 09:01 PM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
United States, WA, Everett
Joined May 2003
4,024 Posts
I buy a full 4x8 sheet of white faced insulating board (compressed paper). It was once called Cellotex,... that might be the brand name. I cut the full sheet into the size I need. It's very similar to the 2x4 ceiling tiles, but the paper is denser so the pins stick in them better. I've tried ceiling tiles and didn't care for the lack of holding power.

Fred
No Step is online now Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2004, 10:07 PM
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
flyboy2610, I was not able to log onto the site all weekend, I hate that! Good thing tho I guess as I have learned much from you folks by asking a simple question.

tiberius Quote :
"Their web site is back up. I ordered a 48" one direct last year. It's great."
Yes tiberius I was thinking so too and at a reasonable price.

Greg Knipp, I am thinking that Tower may have that same board by Guillows there now that you mention it! maybe for a slight but less money.

blaze, I will take a look at that. Might be the best bet as a value. I have a drop down ceiling in my apartment and was wondering a bity about the holding power... But as TLyttle suggested it works for him and he is not alone, I have heard that a lot of folks use these tile succesfully.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 11:33 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,856 Posts
Willin,

Home Depot has 24x48 inch sheets of cork board for bulletin boards. They're about 3/8 inch low-density fibreboard faced with 1/8 inch cork. They take pins really well, and the cork grips them better than the ceiling tiles do. I screw the corners onto my work bench (3/4 inch plywood) and have at 'er. I can't remember how much I paid for them, but they're pretty cheap.

Steve
Steve85 is online now Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Jul 20, 2004, 12:14 AM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,420 Posts
I have had Guillows boards in the past. They are great. My only gripe is the big size is only 48". I need larger, sometimes. So I have been using the same ceiling tile on my building bench for the last 8 yrs. Just the edges are whacked out of shape. And no problem holding frames.

There is somthing wrong if you need to hold so much pressure that the pins won't hold. Thats where laminating comes in. e.g half bulkhead(aka guillows) where some longerons have to be omitted because of adverse pressure will cause the keels to go out of shape.

Steve
St. Martin is online now Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Jul 20, 2004, 01:20 AM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
I've never had problems with pins pulling out of Ceiling tile, either, can't imagine a scenario that would cause that. And I use mine until bits of the cover come off, making a rough surface anywhere on the board; they are cheap enough so that the few bucks every couple of years is way cheaper than golf balls!

Also, on tightly-curved longerons, I always soak them, then roll them under my model kniffe handle, THEN they go where I tell 'em. I had some sandbags for awhile, but used them so seldomly that I junked them.
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle