HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2004, 09:33 PM
Superhero, Third Class
Carson City, NV
Joined Nov 2000
888 Posts
need ideas for balsa rack

I really want to build a rack to store sheet balsa--I'm sick of having to sort through piles and boxes to find what I need. I looked at a couple of "show us your workshop" threads, but none showed how folks are keeping their wood organized. I've got a few ideas so far, but none that I'm really crazy about. The parameters:

--About 15 shelves for different thicknesses/weights, spaced about two inches apart
--48+ inches long, 4" deep
--Not too labor intensive to build
--Not too heavy(banging something together with cheap 1X pine would work, but it would be heavy and bulky)
--Access from the long dimension, not the ends like the ones in hobby shops
--Freestanding
--50 bucks or less in materials

Anyone have any ideas or photos?

Thanks,
Jeff
astroboy is offline Find More Posts by astroboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2004, 09:52 PM
Joined Jul 2004
24 Posts
How about a sheet of ply, 3/8" or 1/2" thick, with two or more rows of parallel 1/4" dowels of an approprate legnth to rest the sheets on. Maybe drill the holes for them at about a 5 degree angle to insure the sheet migrates to the rear of the rack. You could hang the rack on the wall, or make a stand so it stands vertical.
Bird Man is offline Find More Posts by Bird Man
Old Jul 18, 2004, 04:14 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,687 Posts
Trouble wth NOT using continuous shelves is that short bits fall through.

I a have pndered ths, and suspect the answer may be to take e.g. a kitchen cabinet and equip it with loads more shelves, and then have a series of boxes for the scrap bits.

I am continuosulyy evolving model den storage, so will be following this with interest.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jul 18, 2004, 05:48 AM
Joined Jul 2004
24 Posts
Home Depot has cabinets that come flat, you put them together. I think they call them "Builders Pride" and they assemble in about 1/2 hour. The plain white ones are very reasonable, great junk, er, a, parts collector/hider.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 05:49 AM
Joined Jul 2004
24 Posts
Sorry, just noticed you are in the UK, nevermind.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 01:12 PM
the-plumber
Joined Feb 2003
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroboy
--About 15 shelves for different thicknesses/weights, spaced about two inches apart
--48+ inches long, 4" deep
--Not too labor intensive to build
--Not too heavy(banging something together with cheap 1X pine would work, but it would be heavy and bulky)
--Access from the long dimension, not the ends like the ones in hobby shops
--Freestanding
--50 bucks or less in materials

Anyone have any ideas or photos?
I wrote an article a few years back for RCR which described a cheap portable free-standing storage shelf for stashing whatever. Variations on the theme could easily include an extra upright to keep the shelves flat. That's the operative requirement for storing wood - keep it flat.

I could attach the original article to an e-mail if you'd like.

Cheers,
Fred McClellan
the-plumber is offline Find More Posts by the-plumber
Old Jul 19, 2004, 02:24 AM
**crunch**
Raleigh, NC
Joined May 2003
483 Posts
during a particularly windy stretch of april, i started buying kites at target on my way to the field. i *think* they had mispriced them, as they were chargine me like $2.99 for "x-kites" standard size box and delta kites made of ripstop with frp rods. anyhow, these came in clear extruded plastic tubes rectangular in shape, which i think would be fine for sheet balsa storage, or even cut in half into a J shape for shelving. perhaps you could find the plastic itself at the right DIY warehouse store.

-barrett
capncrunch is offline Find More Posts by capncrunch
Old Jul 19, 2004, 03:47 PM
Joined Jun 2004
219 Posts
I store my balsa upright in carboard, triangular shipping tubes for rolled drawings like you would get from FedEx or UPS. I got several from the shipping/receiving department where I work after they changed carriers.

I use one or two at full length (four feet, I think) and cut the end flaps off of one end only. Then I cut others to various lengths such that one tube will produce a one and a three foot long piece (leave the end flaps in place). After I cut up a few, I ganged them and wrapped tape around them to hold them together with the taller ones in back and shorter in front.

Although this arrangement might stand upright on the floor, I tied it to the side of my rolling tool rack witch is one of those 3-rack recycle carts no longer used by the trash company.

So far, so good in keeping things relatively well organized. When I am looking for a certain thickness, it is pretty easy to see it by looking down onto the ends of the sheets and sticks in the tubes.
Riserflier is offline Find More Posts by Riserflier
Old Aug 08, 2004, 11:09 PM
Superhero, Third Class
Carson City, NV
Joined Nov 2000
888 Posts
Well, here's what I ended up with. It's 4 feet high; the frame is 1x pine, the shelves are 3/8" foam core trimmed with pine molding, and the back is poster board. It met nearly all of the original criteria but cost; believe it or not, there is 90 bucks worth of materials in it(most of that in the foam core and molding). The individual shelf heights were determined by the thickness of balsa and anticipated maximum number of sheets for each.

Jeff
astroboy is offline Find More Posts by astroboy
Old Aug 09, 2004, 12:47 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2003
1,114 Posts
Jeff,

That's brilliant! And nicely painted too. Makes me ashamed of my vertical stacks of sheets in an old cardboard box.

Graham.
Salto is offline Find More Posts by Salto
Old Aug 09, 2004, 10:14 AM
Joined Sep 2002
2,098 Posts
Really nice job on the shelf unit!

I just use old kit or shipping boxes open on top and labeled on the end/sides with the balsa sheeting size. I just stack them into a shelving unit I have and then look for the right box when I need sheet balsa.

Sierra Gold
sierra-gold is offline Find More Posts by sierra-gold
Old Aug 10, 2004, 11:33 PM
the-plumber
Joined Feb 2003
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroboy
Well, here's what I ended up with. It's 4 feet high; the frame is 1x pine, the shelves are 3/8" foam core trimmed with pine molding, and the back is poster board. It met nearly all of the original criteria but cost; believe it or not, there is 90 bucks worth of materials in it(most of that in the foam core and molding). The individual shelf heights were determined by the thickness of balsa and anticipated maximum number of sheets for each.
Jeff
Ah. I thought you were talking about having to rack a bunch of wood.

Duh . . .

You don't have enough wood, that much is certain.

If the photo makes it, it depicts two 3' tall boxes of balsa. Now imagine turning in a full circle and finding that you're standing in the middle of a circle of twenty-odd more boxes just like those two.

Made off with the balsa stock Tom Runge's (Ace R/C) estate sale last Winter.

I don't need a wood rack, I need a wood _room_ !!!

Doubt I'll ever buy another piece of balsa again, ever.

Still, nice job on the wood rack. I can see where the version I wrote about would have been a bit much.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 11:35 PM
the-plumber
Joined Feb 2003
1,094 Posts
Er, that should have read
Made off with the balsa stock _from_ Tom Runge's (Ace R/C) estate sale . . . .