Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,487 Posts
Discussion
Ascent park glider thread - PART2!!

Gents,

This is the continuation of the original thread which ends here;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&page=21&pp=30

There's a 500-post limit for admin and navigation purposes, and this one seems to have slipped under the radar!

tim hooper
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2004, 05:07 AM
Gustavo Exel
Switzerland, GE, Geneva
Joined May 2003
1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolladay
The stock motor is a 6v speed 400. A 7.2v motor wouldn't pull the plane up on a 7-cell nimh battery, which many guys have done to some success.
My stock motor has the code "B7V2" in the can, doesnīt that mean itīs a 7.2V motor???

Gustavo
gustabmo is offline Find More Posts by gustabmo
Old Jul 17, 2004, 09:16 AM
fix-it-up chappie
Valley Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
2,262 Posts
Not unless they switched motors. If it gets hot running on 7-cells (or 2s) with the 6x3 prop, its a 6v. A 7.2v motor would barely get warm under that low a load. Of course it wouldn't turn as fast either.
tolladay is offline Find More Posts by tolladay
Old Jul 17, 2004, 11:14 AM
London Heathrow, Great Britain (UK)
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
Does anyone know what a good light weight reciever would be!

I was looking at putting in the Jeti Rex 5 in to my Ascent, would that be a good option and if so does anyone know the range of this reciever?

Simon
simonbryant is offline Find More Posts by simonbryant
Old Jul 17, 2004, 12:12 PM
Joined Sep 2002
2,098 Posts
Don't know what your budget is, but a Berg 4 micro stamp sure slips in easy.

http://www.aeromicro.com/Catalog/ber...al_1908593.htm

Sierra Gold
sierra-gold is offline Find More Posts by sierra-gold
Old Jul 17, 2004, 12:33 PM
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra-gold
Don't know what your budget is, but a Berg 4 micro stamp sure slips in easy.

http://www.aeromicro.com/Catalog/ber...al_1908593.htm

Sierra Gold
whats the range?
Old Jul 17, 2004, 12:42 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,532 Posts
Berg is a great receiver. The range is hard to quantify, but it's a lot further than you can see your little Ascent with a naked eye. I've had planes, (non-Ascent) up over 1500 feet and 3/8 mile away from me without a problem. It also, doesn't glitch when the transmitter is turned off, just holds last command. With most good receivers range isn't an issue.
Zoomzoom is offline Find More Posts by Zoomzoom
Old Jul 17, 2004, 01:43 PM
Joined Sep 2002
2,098 Posts
Peter Berg frequents these Forums. He doesn't like to quantify range, which seems to bother some people. You know, say the range is 5 miles and everyone would go ... Wow gotta have one! He says the range is "as far as you can see."

I have a Berg receiver in my 2M EP glider and it's never glitched. It has gone "almost farther than I could see it" high.

I consider my Bergs ( I do have several) at least equal to my Hitec 555s. The Hitec 555 has a good reputation. The Berg wins when space and weight are at a premium.

Sierra Gold
Old Jul 17, 2004, 04:43 PM
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra-gold
Peter Berg frequents these Forums. He doesn't like to quantify range, which seems to bother some people. You know, say the range is 5 miles and everyone would go ... Wow gotta have one! He says the range is "as far as you can see."

I have a Berg receiver in my 2M EP glider and it's never glitched. It has gone "almost farther than I could see it" high.

I consider my Bergs ( I do have several) at least equal to my Hitec 555s. The Hitec 555 has a good reputation. The Berg wins when space and weight are at a premium.

Sierra Gold
Hi Sierra, ok a good comment.......

I would invest in that reciever the only problem is that i'm from the UK and we fly on 35mhz not 72 as they do in the US! i'm not sure I can get that reicever in England on 35....i will have to find out...
Last edited by simonbryant; Jul 17, 2004 at 04:45 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2004, 05:05 PM
Joined Sep 2002
2,098 Posts
I believe that in Europe it is sold as a Schulze receiver... I'm sure I read that here in some thread.

Can anyone confirm????

Sierra Gold
Old Jul 17, 2004, 07:48 PM
fix-it-up chappie
Valley Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
2,262 Posts
I've heard the same thing. I believe Peter Berg has an OEM deal with Shultz. If one were to compare features between the two it would probably be self evident.

I've also heard some amazing things about the Bergs. From what I understand it locks onto your Tx's signature (or some such) and doesn't get confused from other sources. I've also heard of several Txs all in the same room, purposfully set to the same frequency, and not being able to mess up the Rx. None of this I've seen with my own eyes, so I cannot say for sure, but I've heard these kind of rumors more than once, and from different sources.
tolladay is offline Find More Posts by tolladay
Last edited by tolladay; Jul 17, 2004 at 07:52 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2004, 08:21 PM
Gustavo Exel
Switzerland, GE, Geneva
Joined May 2003
1,763 Posts
Not all Bergīs have this tx signature feature. I have a Berg*6 III which has, and I did tests with 2 txs on the same frequency and got some mixed results.

- turned txA (airtronics RD8000) on
- turned rx (Berg*6 III) on
- checked itīs working (servos responding to the tx sticks), ok
- nothing new so far...
- turned txB (Futaba 4VF, same channel) on
- rx still responds to txA commands, but muuuch slower
- rx doesnīt move in response to txB sticks
- good
- turned txB off
- rx still responding to txA, now with normal speed

Then I did the same test but turning on first txB (Futaba) and then txA (Airtronics), when I turned on the 2nd tx (txA, Airtronics) the rx would not respond to any of the txs. After turning off txA it resumed responding to txB (the first one to be turned on in this second test.

So... got different results depending on which tx was the rx locked to, but even the worst case was much better than starting to get servo jitters all over that would crash the plane almost immediately.

BTW Schulze has 40MHz and 35MHz rxs equivalent to Bergīs 72MHz rxs. On the UK you can buy them at www.westlondonmodels.com

Gustavo
gustabmo is offline Find More Posts by gustabmo
Last edited by gustabmo; Jul 17, 2004 at 08:24 PM. Reason: fixed URL
Old Jul 17, 2004, 08:35 PM
Engineer in training
Columbia, Missouri
Joined Jun 2004
399 Posts
kinda off the current topic, but i just have to brag about the ascent. today was my second or third flight (maybe fourth?) of my ascent and it was really windy today. i decided to throw a 3 cell lipo in for some extra weight, and some extra pep. it blew my mind!! i was climbing straight up, up, up! i dont know if the headwind was helping me out some, but i could get to amazing heights in less than a minute. and it flew really well for how darn windy it was. i would guess 10mph with 20 mph gusts. i still dont know what a thermal is though. i did catch a few little lifts, but nothing that i could stay in for more than 30 seconds. my favorite thing to try today was powering into a half loop and seeing how long i could fly out inverted before she lost it.
johnrobholmes is offline Find More Posts by johnrobholmes
Old Jul 18, 2004, 10:33 AM
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
Hi thanks guys for all the information on the reiciever....i think the Shultz Reciever may just be over the top for the Ascent....my progative with the Ascent is weight, so basically i'm just looking for a decsent leight weight reciever....

What also is a good micro servo....how about the Hitech S 55 ? any idea's?

Simon
Old Jul 18, 2004, 11:11 AM
Engineer in training
Columbia, Missouri
Joined Jun 2004
399 Posts
i have some of the s 55 in my planes. so far i havent had any crap out on me, but you can get replacement gears for them. you will just have to raise up the servo tray or shim up the servo because it is deeper than the stock tray allows. i also have used some of the cheap gws servos, but i have had one break already, and they are not repairable
johnrobholmes is offline Find More Posts by johnrobholmes