HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2004, 06:58 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,193 Posts
Rave
My Hangar!

Click to enlarge! It makes me feel all warm inside to know that I own all that! It may sound like I'm boasting but I've been in this hobby for 6 years this September, and it has been my ONLY hobby. EVERYONE else in my year group (ex-year group - I've left school now!) go out and booze at every opportunity, whereas I've stayed separate from that pack. So much more rewarding spending my pocket money on this sort of thing rather than getting pi**ed. I mean, I've got something to show for it!

I've calculated that this little lot is worth about 1.5k .... and I'm only 17! Most of that money was "pocket money" .... which actually means it was my parents money! My Dad didn't seemed too alarmed when I told him that total price - he said it was money well spent!
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2004, 07:30 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Good on yer..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jul 16, 2004, 07:39 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,688 Posts
How do you keep it so clean and tidy?
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jul 16, 2004, 07:51 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,260 Posts
Good on ya mate. I started at the same age as you, and this hobby is still keeping me out of trouble 22 years later. I never get tired of it, ever. There are always new challenges around the corner. Let's hope your future wife is as understanding as your dad!
vonJaerschky is online now Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Jul 16, 2004, 08:16 PM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
I started about a year older then you did back in 7th grade. Managed to stay away from the boozing and stay out of trouble mostly until college anyways. Had a good friend in high school I used to go flying with occasionally after school. I'm always amazed thinking back the number of planes we could fit in the back of a Chevy Nova (mid 80's toyota cloan, not 70's landyacht). many good memories from back then. My icon is a plane that my friend back then crashed and recovered for me. It looked much better then my first covering job.

The tough part of it is staying with it through the woman search. And even tougher finding one who doesn't care that you wreck a room in the house building stuff and spend way too much money and time on it. If you can make the hobby survive that you are set for life.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Old Jul 17, 2004, 03:55 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1
How do you keep it so clean and tidy?
Hehe, that's not the room I work in, that's just for displaying! THIS is the messy room!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonJaerschky
I never get tired of it, ever. There are always new challenges around the corner. Let's hope your future wife is as understanding as your dad!
Here's hoping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPSU21
And even tougher finding one who doesn't care that you wreck a room in the house building stuff and spend way too much money and time on it.
Fortunately I've got a Mum who doesn't really care about wrecking a room and spending too much time and money on this hobby! Being married to my Dad for nearly 30 years she's had a lot to put up with - my Dad is the KING of junk-collecting and I think she's just accepted that I've got a hobby which creates a similar amount of junk! Does the excuse of "It keeps me off the streets!" work well with wives when (hehe 5 words beginning with W!) discussing this hobby?!
Old Jul 17, 2004, 08:20 AM
Paducah Barkley, Kentucky, United States
Joined Sep 2003
783 Posts
Looking good Hogster, a messy workroom, a good sign of more doing than cleaning!

When the Ex complained about my hobbies I'd remind her it kept me out of bars.

B&K Scope?

mike
umrk is offline Find More Posts by umrk
Old Jul 17, 2004, 10:33 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,193 Posts
Quote:
When the Ex complained about my hobbies I'd remind her it kept me out of bars.
Is that why it's Ex? (!)

Another thing I've heard/thought of is to remind her of how many planes you've got in comparison to how many shoes she's got! The ratio of SHOES:PLANES is usually probably around 10:1, even in a modelling fanatic's house!!

The scope was 'aquired' from school (and is made by HAMEB) - it was lying in the corner of our Design Technology studio doing absolutely nowt - I imagine it was used when the DT syllabus used to include electronics, but sadly now it doesn't. Still I shouldn't complain - I got a free oscilloscope out of it!
Old Jul 17, 2004, 12:24 PM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
That is a good looking mess. I have a messy workroom that can put that to shame. I'm no sure if I should be proud or scared. It was the previous house owners nursury so there are huge pictures of babies floating on clouds painted on all the walls. I've done my best to cover them up with posters and junk. I'm too far into too many projects with too much stuff lying around now to ever hope to empty the room out so I can paint over it. I cut the large weeds that were getting so large that they were starting to cover the window so it is a slight improvement. I should take pictures and scare everyone.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Old Jul 17, 2004, 06:04 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,193 Posts
Hehe! It happens to the best of us! Hey I tell you what - you post a picture of your 'mess' and I'll post some pics of our attic! Nothing can be more filled with stuff than that! Although to give it half a chance most of the stuff is in boxes .... but boy is there a lot of it! I'm scared that one day I'll find that the ceiling has caved in over one room, where there'd be a whole pile of smashed up junk lying with the plasterboard!
Old Jul 17, 2004, 10:50 PM
Bought at a price.
Winfield, Kansas, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,570 Posts
Nice looking fleet!

And good for you that you are staying out of the boozing. I'm kind of embarrassed to say that I didn't & I've got nothing to show for all that money that I spent on it. In fact what things that I do have to show for it are all negative things.

So keep it up, you're starting out right!

Brad
777 is offline Find More Posts by 777
Old Jul 17, 2004, 11:13 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Congrats on sticking to a good hobby and staying away from the 'boozing'... it seems far too many can't...

I'd be delighted if either of my kids takes a serious interest in the hobby and wants to put all their money into it.

Paul
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 18, 2004, 12:13 AM
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
2,954 Posts
thats a good deal all around--having fun and less aggravation--who says you cant enjoy the good stuff!!

T
ZRS4 is offline Find More Posts by ZRS4
Old Jul 26, 2004, 04:15 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,193 Posts
I'd like to show you the latest addition to my fleet - my first scratch-built all-balsa baby, the Tiny!

She's not finished yet, still needs electronics (I'm waiting for a cheque for 500 to arrive before I buy the electronics ... the money was part of a prize I won at the National Finals of the Young Engineer for Britain competition! ), and a few other bits like undercarriage ....

Aint she gorgeous!

I'm especially thrilled with her as a) she's the first plane I've ever scratch built from balsa, and b) this was the first time I'd used SolarFilm!!

Can't wait to get her up in the air!

I'll show you more pics as I make progress! At the moment I'm writing an extremely detailed construction diary for this model - I took 183 photos during the construction process and now I'm writing info next to each one! Look out for the ultimate Tiny build thread coming soon to a screen near you!

All for now guys!
Old Jul 26, 2004, 08:47 PM
experiencing RC flight...
Singapore Woodlands, Singapore
Joined Jun 2004
96 Posts
Awesome collection there i say, and keep going at this hobby. I started when i was 14(was flying gassers and i am 19 now) and it indeed kept me away from smoke and booze and wasting time. And i am happy for you that your dad is so supportive. Wish it was the same for my case, my mum always complains when i start working on a project or bring a new kit home. I stay in an apartment and all my planes are kept in the living room!

I must say your Tiny is very nicely done, it is making me want one for myself. But i must resist, got a new SS wing to make and a prototype to redo and a zero still in the box. So many ideas, so little time!!!
novalogix is offline Find More Posts by novalogix