SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 25, 2002, 04:12 PM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,775 Posts
Check out John Considines electric B-36.
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...21/images.html The plans are AWESOME! I have them. Gonna try to build her sometime in the near future
Perry
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2002, 09:40 AM
Electriaddict
Melville Saskatchewan Canada
Joined Mar 2001
1,579 Posts
Awsome!
dorysch1 is offline Find More Posts by dorysch1
Old Jan 28, 2002, 11:30 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,470 Posts
OK - I guess I'll be the first to ask.......

Don't both the B36 full-size and model pictures above show the B 36A rather than the definitive B 36B version ??

Neat way to avoid draggy fake nacelles I guess !
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Old Jan 28, 2002, 12:34 PM
Electriaddict
Melville Saskatchewan Canada
Joined Mar 2001
1,579 Posts
unless a guy felt rich and put some brushless ducted fans in too!
dorysch1 is offline Find More Posts by dorysch1
Old Jan 28, 2002, 10:26 PM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,775 Posts
Don't both the B36 full-size and model pictures above show the B 36A rather than the definitive B 36B version ??

Chris,
You are correct. The "B" version would create too much drag to say the least but it would very cool. The ducted fan trick for the jets would be quite an engineering feat. Sorry but I'm not up for it. I'll stick to the "A" version on this one.
Perry
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
Old Jan 29, 2002, 02:37 PM
COLLIERVILLE, TN USA
Joined Jun 2000
617 Posts
Fat winged B-36

Hey Eddie,

If my feeble memory's correct, the B-36's had crawl spaces inside the wing which were put there to allow limited inflight maintenance work to be performed by crewmen on the engines! An engine could be shut down for repair then restarted.

Also, the story goes that the endurance was so great on the Peacemaker that they only had to land them to allow the crew to re-enlist!

I can remember as a child lying out in the front yard at my mom's house in Memphis watching them drone by way overhead (they were so slow, it seemed like hours) on their way somewhere. There was a bunch of them stationed over at the old Little Rock, AR air base. What a sound they made....168 huge cylinders all running at the same time!

Milton Dickey
DICKEYBIRD is offline Find More Posts by DICKEYBIRD
Old Jan 28, 2004, 03:21 PM
Epoxy Can Be Cured
Michigan
Joined Apr 2003
61 Posts
plans for b-36

The "Magnesium Overcast" model is indeed awesome! I went to the thread you gave and it shows the model (two views) but when I went to the link there was no mention of plans being available. Can you give me a clue as to how to get the plans?

Regards,

Ernie

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudderman98
Check out John Considines electric B-36.
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...21/images.html The plans are AWESOME! I have them. Gonna try to build her sometime in the near future
Perry
oneleggimp is offline Find More Posts by oneleggimp
Old Jan 28, 2004, 07:27 PM
mexico city, mexico
Joined Aug 2000
515 Posts
I made once a b-36, and you know what I hated: it dances in the wind like a glider, it has no flight like a bomber which should be rather soft, no, it is jerky you must fly it in complete calm else it is awkward
inedesca is offline Find More Posts by inedesca
Old Jan 29, 2004, 02:15 AM
Fe Fi Fo Fum
Useless Loop, Australia
Joined Apr 2001
1,296 Posts
Re: plans for b-36

Quote:
Originally posted by oneleggimp
The "Magnesium Overcast" model is indeed awesome! I went to the thread you gave and it shows the model (two views) but when I went to the link there was no mention of plans being available. Can you give me a clue as to how to get the plans?

Regards,

Ernie
Ernie,

I saw this plane at a fly in a year ago and it's very impressive The fuselage design is a square balsa/ply inner frame, covered with shaped foam. I believe the wings are foam.

The B-36 is available through Traplet Publications (UK) Plan no MW 2786.

www.traplethouse.com/about.html

(click on aircraft plans-scale electric etc...or search for "convair")

Also available from Traplet Distribution USA PO Box 350 Monticello IL 61856 Tel 217 762 9099 email usa@traplet.com

Cheers

Rich
Large One is offline Find More Posts by Large One
Last edited by Large One; Jan 29, 2004 at 02:23 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 10:36 AM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
I was at The Dayton Ohio Museum! THat was the sweetest place I've ever been! And that B36 WAS HUGE!!!! The wheels were like 4 feet tall!!

And I met a former B36 pilot who said he flew in one for 30-ish hours at a time on a training mission.

I took a lot of pictures there, they didn't come out to good beause it was so dim, but I'll see if I can scan them into here and post so you can see how they fit it in(barely)
larsy87 is offline Find More Posts by larsy87
Old Jan 29, 2004, 12:21 PM
dusty bible = dirty life
Oklahoma City OK USA Where fakts still exist even if they are ignored
Joined Aug 2000
2,784 Posts
One of my close friends at college was the son of the past USAFM director. Just after I graduated as a 2Lt I stopped at he muses to visit with the Col. On the same day a delegation from the Canadian nat'l muse was there and asked to see the inside of the -36, I was asked if I'd like to go along. So at age 22 in 1977 I got to climb the THREE flights of stairs to the command seat of the monster. If you think it looks big from the bottom stand in the observation hatch in the top of the cockpit!

Majortomski
Majortomski is offline Find More Posts by Majortomski
Old Jan 29, 2004, 12:38 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
I would have loved to have gotten in that thing...but standing in the bomb bays was experience enough.

Six a turning 4 a burning!

Tidbit - A 1/12 scale model of this has about a ~250 inch wingspan - one of those for combat!!!
larsy87 is offline Find More Posts by larsy87
Old Jan 29, 2004, 02:12 PM
Cleared Hot!
Melbourne, FL
Joined Feb 2001
501 Posts
My boss told me a great sotry yesterday about the B-36. His father used to fly B-36s right into Russia. They used the later recon models, which had all the guns removed except for the tail cannons (that was called the "Featherweight" program if I recall correctly.) They would take off from Eilson AFB in Alaska, and fly really low... right into Siberia! They knew where the radar coverage was, and would stay down on the deck and fly in the notches in the coverage between the radars. Then once they were well inland... 2000 miles or so (!!)... they'd climb up as fast as they could to 45,000 feet or so, and zig-zag back out, flying directly over every installation they could to photograph it. The Soviets obviously saw them at that point (and probably put teh entire command structure into an uproar) but they were pretty well powerless to act... they couldn't quite reach it with their fighters, except perhaps from the rear - but they knew better than that since the B-36s had radar-steered cannons back there. Apparently, they sent some Tu-95 Bear bombers in to do similar things in Alaska. This was all a bit before the DEW line went up. At the time, it was all classified.

I hadn't heard of these missions before... anyone else know more?
Merlin_FAC is offline Find More Posts by Merlin_FAC
Old Jan 29, 2004, 04:58 PM
Epoxy Can Be Cured
Michigan
Joined Apr 2003
61 Posts
B-36 mail wheels on prototype

I read (and saw a picture of the landing gear in question) that the original design for the b-36 used a NINE (yes 108 inches) foot tall landing wheel (one for each main gear). The weight was so great on each landing gear that the original b-36 prototypes could only land in two or three places because they would start to sink the runway/apron paving into the ground. Hence the change to the four wheel bogies on the main wheels. Everything about the b-36 was oversize.

Regards,

Ernie

Quote:
Originally posted by Cam Galbraith
I was at The Dayton Ohio Museum! THat was the sweetest place I've ever been! And that B36 WAS HUGE!!!! The wheels were like 4 feet tall!!

And I met a former B36 pilot who said he flew in one for 30-ish hours at a time on a training mission.

I took a lot of pictures there, they didn't come out to good beause it was so dim, but I'll see if I can scan them into here and post so you can see how they fit it in(barely)
Old Jan 29, 2004, 05:06 PM
Epoxy Can Be Cured
Michigan
Joined Apr 2003
61 Posts
Re: Re: plans for b-36

Rich,

Thanks for the link to the plans. That will be one impressive flying machine. I'm going to order the plans. It may take a year or more to finish the plane but I gotta make one. It's just too cool! I've always liked the big birds. Used to go camping in Michigan's Upper Peninsula and the alert b-52s from K.I. Sawyer would swing out over Lake Superior, drop their flaps and landing gear and come in on final over the State Park where we camped. Seeing those buff's come floating in with the sun behind them was absolutely beautiful. I saw a b-36 once in flight (not in Michigan) on a trip. Nothing like it. So beautiful.

Regards,

Ernie

Quote:
Originally posted by Large One
Ernie,

I saw this plane at a fly in a year ago and it's very impressive The fuselage design is a square balsa/ply inner frame, covered with shaped foam. I believe the wings are foam.

The B-36 is available through Traplet Publications (UK) Plan no MW 2786.

www.traplethouse.com/about.html

(click on aircraft plans-scale electric etc...or search for "convair")

Also available from Traplet Distribution USA PO Box 350 Monticello IL 61856 Tel 217 762 9099 email usa@traplet.com

Cheers

Rich