HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2004, 04:51 PM
Nevada City, California, United States
Joined May 2004
448 Posts
since there should be quite a few c47's flying now, can we get a review?

if you have one what are your likes dislikes and did you find any problems with the manual/assembly? if you respond, please post which motor's yours came with. i wasnt really interested in the c47, but after seen the video of it, i'm thinking it might make a good first "warbird"
Catkicker is offline Find More Posts by Catkicker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2004, 04:11 AM
Joined May 2004
448 Posts
i guess everyone thats built one is out flying it right now
Old Jul 19, 2004, 04:06 AM
Joined Apr 2004
6 Posts
Hey,

my DC 3 is in civil colors of austrian airlines. I had 3 flights. Engines are stock 300C with 2s Lipos 1500 HD. I got a problem with the cg. She flies tricky. You have to take care when slow fliying not to come into stall. Had a crash after stall. Now I have reconfigurate the setting and plan my next flight in the next days. Try to get a video.

dumbo is offline Find More Posts by dumbo
Old Jul 19, 2004, 04:37 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Hmmm~~

I gave those test pilot C47 first shot samples at early April during Toledo show!

They were not do so well for this home work!

May be should up date my test pilots list!

Give them some push. Right?
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Jul 19, 2004, 04:57 AM
MINE!
Australia, VIC, Point Cook
Joined Jul 2003
3,186 Posts
Test flight will be this weekend (too dark in the afternoon, winter here) i finished the model a few weeks ago but have been weighting on some cells.

I got some KAN 950 in 4 x 4 config.
Mick Molloy is offline Find More Posts by Mick Molloy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2004, 05:06 AM
Newcastle
Joined Oct 2003
581 Posts
I got one of the green ones through the early bird scheme and flew it for the first time last weekend. I found it to fly faster than I expected until I found the throttle! I left the rudder out as I have found that on my zero it wasn't very effective. I did rog and touch and go's without any troubles despite having no rudder. I found that the c-47 was the best built model so far and it looks great! THe only drama I have had so far was that I nosed over with the throttle open and the motor shafts spun inside the spinners and bored the holes out to the point that the props will not stay in place anymore. This is a critisism on me though rather than Mr LIn as I was the dope that left the throttles open and had the spinners not slipped I would have burnt out two motors! The kit includes six spinners anyway so it is a non issue. I LOVE the new wheels and the grey props!!! This plane is a winner. I just have to figure out how to make paratrropers jump out the side......

I use a 7 cell 600 Mah Nicad from my early days in electric flight on all my GWS models and again it has done the job. I also use a 8 cell battery of the same cells but i havent had the chance to try it out on this as I wrecked the props at the end of my first flight!
J.E. Johnson is offline Find More Posts by J.E. Johnson
Old Jul 19, 2004, 09:33 AM
OV-102 Columbia
Southwest Florida
Joined Feb 2003
1,507 Posts
Did GWS USA ever actually get them in stock and start shipping them to distys and dealers? last I knew Mr. Lin mentioned they arrived back during the GWS USA relocation but then said "oops" wrong container, C-47's will be here next week or such...

I haven't seen any US LHS's or online dealers that have them in stock.

At any rate when I heard that the sloper would be $49.00 and the painted full kit was going to be $87.50 I kind of lost interest in purchasing one anytime soon.

yea I know its a direct drive twin and its a slightly larger wingspan then the warbirds but it's just to expensive for my budget these days.

The warbird slopers only cost $29, I usually buy the full kit anyway but $49 for the sloper?

Beautiful plane but I'll pass.
indybudd is offline Find More Posts by indybudd
Old Jul 19, 2004, 10:13 AM
New Jersey, USA
Joined May 2003
1,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dammit
I left the rudder out as I have found that on my zero it wasn't very effective. I did rog and touch and go's without any troubles despite having no rudder. I found that the c-47 was the best built model so far and it looks great! THe only drama I have had so far was that I nosed over with the throttle open and the motor shafts spun inside the spinners and bored the holes out to the point that the props will not stay in place anymore. ..........I use a 7 cell 600 Mah Nicad from my early days in electric flight on all my GWS models and again it has done the job. I also use a 8 cell battery of the same cells but i havent had the chance to try it out on this as I wrecked the props at the end of my first flight!

Good to hear you had success using the 7 cell 600mAh Nicads as not everyone will want the Lipoly expense.

I've found the rudder to be extreemly effective, not only for ground handling, but you'll be amazed how tight a coordinated turn can be.

I've found that grass ROGs / touch and gos are great prop removers. Seems that once the 2mm spinners get spun off, they won't stay on again.
Howard Carpenter from Balsa Products suggested using a bit of HOT MELT Glue to re-attach a spun off spinner. If you try any "wet" glue, you run the risk of getting glue in the motor bearing. I'm currently using the 1.5mm spinners which I hand reamed with a 2mm drill bit. Takes quite a push to get them on. It's important that the spinners run true; A woobley spinner causes a lot of vibration!

Flew the DC-3 at the Jersey Coast electric fun fly this past weekend and a comment was made after a flight; "Didn't think it would have such a nice glide".

The only deviation I made in the construction of the DC-3 was to add 2mm of down thrust between the motor mounts and the front edge of the foam firewall. The down thrust helps offset the positive incidence in the wing.

"dumbo" Hope your reconfigured flight works out.

And Mr. Lin; One of your first "Shot Samples" from the Toledo Show is working just fine! Tis a great little ship!
David A Ramsey is offline Find More Posts by David A Ramsey
Old Jul 19, 2004, 10:31 AM
New Jersey, USA
Joined May 2003
1,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indybudd
I haven't seen any US LHS's or online dealers that have them in stock.

At any rate when I heard that the sloper would be $49.00 and the painted full kit was going to be $87.50 I kind of lost interest in purchasing one anytime soon.

Beautiful plane but I'll pass.

You might have a look at: www.balsapr.com

Balsa Products has not received them yet, but their price for the painted DC-3 is shown for $59.50, unpainted for $49.50. No price on slope version. Just hoping price will be the same when they arrive.
David A Ramsey is offline Find More Posts by David A Ramsey
Last edited by David A Ramsey; Jul 19, 2004 at 10:34 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 04:33 PM
Joined May 2004
448 Posts
cool, looks like the 300 version is flyable without needing lipo's or brushless motors. i may have to get one if the c 130 isnt out in the next month or so.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 06:09 PM
Registered Snoozer
Huffman Texas
Joined Jun 2002
186 Posts
Wow the pictures of the GWS DC3s are just great congrats to the builders. Again a big thankyou for producing this kit Mr. Lin I'll have a whole airline by the time I'm done.
Talk about paintschemes, how about the NASA C47? Or a "Puff The Magic Dragon".
Then with some minor mod work you could do a Tabby the Japanese copy of the DC3
or the Russian version...........
Then with a bit of sanding and carving you could backdate it to a DC2 and go get that block of foam and make a B18 fuselage (I really want to do this one, I'b be happy to just get my hands on the wingset).
I figure by the time we all get done with Mr Lin's DC3 there may be as many GWS DC3s out there as there were real ones in it's heyday. By then ofcourse the GWS DC4 will be out........ oh, sorry did I type that out loud?.........
Ju388 is offline Find More Posts by Ju388
Old Jul 19, 2004, 08:25 PM
Maryborough Qld Australia
Joined Jul 2003
511 Posts
Hey guys, what's with a 'spinner' on a DC 3 ? And, is there a 3 blader prop (GWS) that is an appropriate size - preferably black.
For Indybudd - will let you know the 'asking price' when it hits the Aust market. Maybe make you feel better about the US price. . Might be awhile tho - I saw a post that said our sole 'importer' had ordered TWO.
altur is offline Find More Posts by altur
Old Jul 19, 2004, 09:36 PM
MINE!
Australia, VIC, Point Cook
Joined Jul 2003
3,186 Posts
no 3 blade GWS item but there is a very nice VariProp 3 blade setup which looks very scale (big $$ but)
Mick Molloy is offline Find More Posts by Mick Molloy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2004, 01:42 AM
Go FASST or go home...
Bergen, Norway
Joined Nov 2002
3,123 Posts
GWS has a 3blad prop but it's made for the geared motors not for the direct drive in the c-47 (Have a look at the bottom of this page)
It's far too big to use on this plane - it would cut the fuse in two!!

Ben_E
Ben_E is offline Find More Posts by Ben_E
Old Jul 20, 2004, 03:42 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ju388
... By then ofcourse the GWS DC4 will be out........

Sorry B17 will come before that request.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO