HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2007, 09:47 AM
Jamie
New Hampshire
Joined Apr 2007
79 Posts
falcon plans

Beautiful! I love this design. I was trying to find plans for this massive plane, but to no avail? Anybody know where I can find them? Many thanks.

Jamie
jamie5555 is offline Find More Posts by jamie5555
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2007, 01:58 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Fife
Joined May 1999
2,838 Posts
John,
No I haven't built it yet.

Jamie,

I have plans if you need a copy. I think I bought mine on E-bay but I can make you a copy if need be.
Ian Easton is offline Find More Posts by Ian Easton
Old Sep 28, 2007, 12:14 AM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
141 Posts
Scram and Quaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by djindivik
I think you'll find that all of the vintage models were designed built & flown in their original form as free flighters. The flying Quaker was from 1936 i believe, as was the Falcon. I have a 1.5x SCRAM, at 108" span, & powered by an SC91 fs, it was a 1934 design, but it now fut fut's by, quite sedately. Its a joy to fly. As is my Flying Quaker, with the OS 60, early open rocker motor in it, (the first succesful production four stroke i believe). It looks & sounds as though it's steam powered. Oh, you will need to buy up a South East Asian rain forest to get enough balsa to build the Falcon, You will give yourself a hernia trying to pick up the kit box of Ben Buckles Kit, there is so much wood in it. It's A beautiful model, & flies wonderfully too ! Ray

Hi, Scram and Quaker are both on my to build list, any chance of some photos and details about yours?
Thanks
Allan
AllanK is offline Find More Posts by AllanK
Old Oct 11, 2007, 04:21 PM
Jamie
New Hampshire
Joined Apr 2007
79 Posts
Falcon plans

Jamie,

I have plans if you need a copy. I think I bought mine on E-bay but I can make you a copy if need be.[/QUOTE]

Ian:

Yes, please I would love a set of plans for this beautiful bird!

Many thanks! My e-mail is: jcolen28@comcast.net

Jamie
jamie5555 is offline Find More Posts by jamie5555
Last edited by jamie5555; Oct 11, 2007 at 04:27 PM. Reason: adding e-mail
Old Oct 15, 2007, 06:09 PM
Joined Aug 2007
7 Posts
Falcon Origin

15-10-2007,

I received this information from the person I purchased the Falcon from:
Hello Mike,

You have been busy! Well done! I am slightly envious now. The history of the Falcon that I am aware of is that Eddie Keil struck some sort of deal with American Ben Shereshaw for permission to produce his 96 inch 'Cloud Cruiser' as the Falcon as the largest in a set of three kits for Keil Kraft. The others were the 44 inch Scorpion (modified wing construction but same eliptical planform as 'The Answer' designed by American 'Scottie' Murray who was killed flying for the RAF in WW2) The Answer had a sparless, multi rib 'Ritz' wing and Eddie changed this on the Scorpion to conventional rib and spar construction to get round a copyright issue. The second kit was the very successful Junior 60 by Englishman Albert Hatfull. For these kits a range of petrol spark ignition engines was to be made available, the K3 (3.2cc), K6 (6cc) and K9.The kits duly went into production starting with the Scorpion in 1944, but of the petrol engines, only the K6, to suit the Junior 60 andshown on the plan, appeared in 1946. It was beautifully made for a production engine but Eddie Keil took the secret of who produced it to his grave.Some have speculated that it could have been Harry Kemp, famous for his 'K' diesels ( Vulture, Kestrel, etc) .
The Falcon really deserves to have an appropriate R/C engine, so if you want the OS 70 Surpass I showed you, perhaps we can complete the deal we spoke of? I was thinking we could perhaps meet on the road somewhere about half distance to save messing about with Royal Mail. Let me know what you think.

Regards,

Rich
mike etheridge is offline Find More Posts by mike etheridge
Old Oct 15, 2007, 10:22 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,566 Posts
All 100% correct; the man knows his KeilKraft.... The K6 was indeed a nicely built engine, I owned a used one back in the late 40's but only ran it glow. I do believe prototype(s) K9 were built, when collecting ign. engines in the 70s I spent some effort into tracking one down but the venture proved fruitless .. as did the .60 briefly advertised by Veron; Phil Smith swore there was no such animal until I sent him a photocopy of the AM advert .. never replied after that.
Applehoney is online now Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Nov 06, 2007, 08:57 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,488 Posts
Quote:
The history of the Falcon that I am aware of is that Eddie Keil struck some sort of deal with American Ben Shereshaw for permission to produce his 96 inch 'Cloud Cruiser' as the Falcon as the largest in a set of three kits for Keil Kraft.

That is the story I heard - here a couple of shots of my Cloud Cruiser for comparison. The main change was the use of a bigger fin on the Falcon, probably to improve take offs which are a bit squirrely with the Cloud Cruiser.

Power as you can see is an old open rocker OS. Lovely engine and more than enough power.

Ray
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ
Old Nov 09, 2007, 04:04 PM
Joined Aug 2007
7 Posts
RJF,

Nice photos of Cloud Cruiser---you can see the similarities.

So far I have taken the Falcon once to my flying club field at Sheerness Kent. I had trouble with the engine running as the old tank was gummed up,so the plane did not fly. I have fitted a Merco 49 for now, which was once owned by champion flyer Chris Olsen of 'Uproar' fame. I will flush the tin-plate tank out some time in the future and try again.

MJE
Old Dec 09, 2007, 01:56 PM
Joined Aug 2007
7 Posts
Following my earlier information on the Falcon, there is currently an advertisement on E-bay for a KK Scorpion one of the trio Junior 60,Falcon and the Scorpion produced in the 1940's. With just a few hours to go it would seem the kit offered on E-bay has bids in excess of 160. Picture below illustrates the KK Scorpion box.

MJE
Last edited by mike etheridge; Dec 18, 2007 at 09:00 AM. Reason: correction
Old Sep 01, 2008, 09:11 AM
Joined Aug 2007
7 Posts
The Falcon has at last flown and proved to be very stable and easy to handle.

It drew some attention I suppose due to its size and was quite capable of flying both forwards and backwards in the stiff breeze on 30-08-2008 at Bartons Point Sheerness.

I will attach photos.
Last edited by mike etheridge; Sep 04, 2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old Sep 01, 2008, 04:05 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,805 Posts
Falcon

Excellent........thanks for the pics. I have'nt flown my Cloud Cruiser this year as of yet but will put her up in the next week or so. I will bring a camera or someone will.......Doooooon(Tinman) your camera works great
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Last edited by williame3590; Sep 01, 2008 at 08:11 PM. Reason: pics
Old Sep 03, 2008, 04:21 PM
Mount Pleasant, SC
Joined Jun 2002
852 Posts
These are beautiful planes and the pictures are great!

Does anyone have any updated info about the plans for the KK Falcon? The links at the front of this thread are old and don't work. Does anyone have an electronic version of the plans?

thanks,
Palmettoflyer
Palmettoflyer is offline Find More Posts by Palmettoflyer
Old Sep 03, 2008, 05:32 PM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,488 Posts
http://www.radicalrc.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=153

http://www.benbucklevintage.com/
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ
Old Dec 24, 2009, 01:42 PM
Baby Boomer Builder!
Henderson, Nevada
Joined Feb 2006
32 Posts
Senior Falcon Fuselage Plan?

New to this old thread... A fellow flyer here who buys and sells model airplane collections recently gave me an old FF wing, complete but covering removed and complete tail empennage, covered in yellow iron-on. There is a semi-completed fuselage as well that seems to be a home-design replacement and is not well-built. My research, including Ben Buckle's site and this forum, lead me to believe the flying surfaces are for a 96" Falcon. So, I am in need of only the fuselage plan since I may just modify or rebuild the fuselage that came with them. Can anyone assist? Thanks! Jim
Jimaroc is offline Find More Posts by Jimaroc
Old Dec 26, 2009, 02:49 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
914 Posts
I feel sure that Ben Buckle will do you a deal on just the fuselage plan, he gave me 30% off a Super 60 plan at one of the shows last year.
Monza Red is offline Find More Posts by Monza Red