Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:37 AM
Oxford, UK
Joined Mar 2009
63 Posts
Fuel proofing

Originally I was going to use RC Colours Profilm Spray, described as,
‘ . . a polyurethane based, high gloss finishing paint that is fuel proof and gives an extremely hard finish. The colours are solid, requiring only a few thin coats to achieve brilliant coverage. When dry the paint is very tough & hardwearing. It will even resist knocks and bumps!’
I sampled some on a Solartex covered trial frame and was not impressed. The result felt rough even after 3 coats so I will not risk it.

Then I tried some Hycote double acrylic clear lacquer (for cars). It looked great. I checked with Hycote about it being fuel proof, and was told no it was not.

Next I brushed on some Solarfilm Clearcoat. As it dries fairly quickly the result looked patchy even after 3 coats. Solarfilm say it is best sprayed on. I am not into spray guns, so that is out.
I have read that good old-fashioned dope is fuel proof. Is this so? Has anyone tried it on Solartex? And with that mind blowing smell, what a way to go!

I fixed the tail security problem by drilling a 2.4mm hole horizontally through the side of the fusealage, making it pass through the forward dowel coming down from the fin. A length of nylon rod is then inserted through the hole to lock the whole assembly in place.
Ray
ol Timer is offline Find More Posts by ol Timer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:10 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Fife
Joined May 1999
2,838 Posts
We're getting there Ray. I doped my Dacron with 4 coats 50/50 nitrate non-taughtning dope. I've been spraying on rustoleum high performance enamal which covers beautifully. When I did my big vintage "Willis" I used rustoleum paint for plastics and it came out great. Fuel proof, covers nice, and remained flexible even through the catastrophic failure I had with it.
I'm assuming the enamel is fuel proof (I know I should have checked first). If not I'll clear coat it.
Ian Easton is offline Find More Posts by Ian Easton
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:32 PM
New Zealand, Waikato, Ngahinapouri
Joined Jan 2011
57 Posts
I have read that good old-fashioned dope is fuel proof. Is this so?
Butyrate dope is fuel proof, nitrate dope isn't. You can put butyrate over nitrate but not the other way round.
Have just started building a Falcon ,basic ribs and spars for one wing done, garage too cold at the moment, hopefully weather warming up soon
cheers
Julian
julianth is offline Find More Posts by julianth
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:50 AM
Oxford, UK
Joined Mar 2009
63 Posts
Thanks Julian for confirmation about Butyrate dope.
I have just found a UK supplier who also says it is fuel proof.

http://www.shop4glue.com/butyrate-ce...-dope-55-c.asp

Building the Falcon has been a series of challenges for me, and pictures and advice from contributors to this thread have helped in no small way. Best wishes in your project.
Ray
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:37 AM
Joined May 1999
2,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by julianth View Post
I[I] garage too cold at the moment, hopefully weather warming up soon
cheers
Julian
I wish I could say that. I can't work in the garage because it's 106° and humid

I have one bit of advice when covering the fuselage. Cover from the first stringer above theupper longeron to the first stringer below the upper longeron or you end up with a little dip in the side - I know, believe me. I made the mistake of going to the longeron - oh well. Also, wrap from the first stringer above the bottom longeron and attach to the underside of the longeron -= again saves a dip. I figured it's time to get this plane in the air so I havn't fixed those issues on mine. It doesn't look too bad but if you do the above yours will certainly look better.
Last edited by Ian Easton; Sep 14, 2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:41 AM
Oxford, UK
Joined Mar 2009
63 Posts
Just when I thought I had fuel proofing sorted with dope I was shown an attractive alternative, ‘Rustins clear plastic floor coating’. Persuasion came from the following UK link,

http://www.wdrcfc.org.uk/wpw/?p=1451

This looks like the stuff I will go for after a trial.
Ray
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:22 PM
Oxford, UK
Joined Mar 2009
63 Posts
I saw what you mean Ian when I held a strip of paper from the uppermost stringer down to the bottom longeron and looked for gaps.
To fill in I added strips of 3/32 along the outside of the upper and the bottom longerons. Then shaped the lower strips to suit the fall of the paper strip.
Ray
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:07 AM
New Zealand, Waikato, Ngahinapouri
Joined Jan 2011
57 Posts
Weather warmed a bit last couple of days so back to the drawing board!
wing #2 underway
Name: Falcon wing build.jpg
Views: 103
Size: 194.0 KB
Description: Port wing build

Julian
julianth is offline Find More Posts by julianth
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:56 AM
Oxford, UK
Joined Mar 2009
63 Posts
A cautionary word of advice from a user of Rustins clear plastic floor coating.
He uses it over solid structures, not open frame as my model. And thinks it would be too hard and therefore brittle on Solartex and would probably craze over an open structure. He uses it mainly to apply glass cloth over balsa. It just happens to be very hard and fuel proof at the same time.
It looks as if butyrate dope is the first choice again.

Ray
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:45 PM
United Kingdom, England, East Horsley
Joined Dec 2004
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol Timer View Post
A cautionary word of advice from a user of Rustins clear plastic floor coating.
He uses it over solid structures, not open frame as my model. And thinks it would be too hard and therefore brittle on Solartex and would probably craze over an open structure. He uses it mainly to apply glass cloth over balsa. It just happens to be very hard and fuel proof at the same time.
It looks as if butyrate dope is the first choice again.

Ray
Ray,

Why are you bothering to fuel proof the Solartex, as Solartex is supposed to be fuel proof to Glow, Diesel, and Petrol.

Robert
BalsaBasher is offline Find More Posts by BalsaBasher
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:49 AM
Oxford, UK
Joined Mar 2009
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalsaBasher View Post
Ray,

Why are you bothering to fuel proof the Solartex, as Solartex is supposed to be fuel proof to Glow, Diesel, and Petrol.

Robert
I prefer a gloss finish over the Solartex close weave fabric, which also makes removing exhaust oil residue easier. Though to be frank I have never flown with untreated Solartex. An alternative covering is Solarfilm's Glosstex heatshrink covering, same fabric as Solartex, fuel proof and high gloss surface, but not in Natural colour which is what I am using.

As an aside, something I have used for years to remove soiling from oil stained models and restore them to showroom condidition is, Decosol Instant Valay, foam upholstery cleaner, for cars (from a Motorist Shop). I spray it, agitate it with a paint brush, wipe off with a damp cloth then finish with paper towel.
Ray
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:30 AM
Joined May 1999
2,838 Posts
I am on the brink of finishing my Falcon (photos soon)! All I have to do is install the windows, check out the radio installation et,c and balance it. Hopefully get to flying it in the next couple of weeks!
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:18 PM
Joined May 1999
2,838 Posts
Well, here it is. I still have a few details to attend to before the maiden but this is how she looks. I decided I wanted something a little different from the "traditional" vintage colour schemes , so combined my interest in scale models with vintage and this is the result. I'll take some better photos out in the sun tomorrow.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:34 PM
Joined May 2009
557 Posts
Very nice, Ian! And the color scheme is definitely eye catching (and a little bit fitting when you consider where the design was born). I'm a little bit "green" right now. I see lots of fun in your immediate future - after the maiden, of course!
cd_webb is offline Find More Posts by cd_webb
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:43 AM
Joined May 1999
2,838 Posts
Thanks CD. It is a little different from the norm and does pay tribute to the era.