SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 30, 2012, 06:58 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Fife
Joined May 1999
2,843 Posts
The plan is to use my Magnum 52 fourstroke. I might change over to electric eventually but I think a model like this needs a 4 banger up front.
Ian Easton is offline Find More Posts by Ian Easton
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2012, 03:51 PM
United Kingdom, England, East Horsley
Joined Dec 2004
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorG View Post
Cheers Brian great stuff. That puts it at 35% - which is smack in the middle of where I thought it probably ought to be. Tail weight here we go.

I agree with the engine thrust comments - I have got the right thrust in so I'll probaly fly it an see what downthrust it needs.

Thanks again. Graham
DoctorG:

Did you put in 1.5 degrees of side thrust and was it about right when you flew it ?

I'm planning on building-in the side thrust by angling the engine bearers.

Also what are your comments on the downthrust ?
BalsaBasher is offline Find More Posts by BalsaBasher
Old Feb 04, 2012, 02:41 PM
United Kingdom, Basingstoke
Joined Nov 2011
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalsaBasher View Post
DoctorG:

Did you put in 1.5 degrees of side thrust and was it about right when you flew it ?

I'm planning on building-in the side thrust by angling the engine bearers.

Also what are your comments on the downthrust ?
Hi Balsa Basher

I have both for my Laser 60: circa 4 in both cases and it works fine. I started without down thrust as it is easy to add later and it definately needs it. If you are using more powerful motor you will need more downtrust, but side thrust I would think is not very critical.
DoctorG is offline Find More Posts by DoctorG
Old Feb 04, 2012, 03:33 PM
Dog is my co-pilot
Joined Jan 2004
974 Posts
Wow, nice!
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Old Feb 04, 2012, 09:38 PM
New Zealand, Auckland, Papakura
Joined Nov 2006
362 Posts
Yes, that looks lovely Ian. Nice build. As has been said, will love to see video of this in the air. Nothing like a large vintage model gracefully plying the airwaves and even more fulfilling knowing that you have created the aircraft with your own two hands. Well done!
Allen
PS - I agree, it needs a four banger up front.
Teals1 is offline Find More Posts by Teals1
Old Feb 06, 2012, 09:58 PM
South Korea
Joined Feb 2005
724 Posts
Falcon

Nice thread, and very interesting to see how the various problems with the build have been dealt with, with some really attractive models

I'm building the fuselarge of mine at the moment. Ref the cabin area strengthening...as designed the wing was held on with rubber bands, and so the whole affair will normally be in compression, so as per design should be okay as I'll be using the traditional banding...but having said that I'll be adding some spruce to the cabin uprights (pictures will follow) to be on the safe side. With bolt on wings I'd definitely be looking at some additional strengthening.

Ref power IC plants...frankly I'd rather go for a large 4 stroke (cycle) engine and swing a large prop slowly. (Less noise and lots of torque)

This is a lovely design...but oh, overly complicated I fear (like many of Ben's)....but in the end the beauty justifies the effort as we can see from the pictures posted. Thanks guys !

Regards
Chris
Chris Jenkins is offline Find More Posts by Chris Jenkins
Last edited by Chris Jenkins; Feb 09, 2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Jun 2011
10 Posts
Good to see Ian Easton's progress on his Falcon especially as he was the originator of this forum thread.

I have just looked through a number of posts and was pleased to see the picture of the KK Pirate. My first IC plane was a Pirate I built in 1959 as a 12 year old. It was powered by a DC Merlin and flown at Epsom Downs racecourse. I had a lot of fun with the Pirate which had a super glide but was a bit erratic under power due to slight wing warps. After the Pirate 'spiralled in' in 1961 I replaced it with an original Southern Junior Models 'Southern Dragon' which I took to Epsom Downs in September 1962 with another plane, a 5ft span 'own design' which I called 'Bluefire'. The latter plane also 'spiralled in' after several flights so I then gave the Southern Dragon it first flight with a half filled Merlin tank. Unfortunately the Southern Dragon just climbed and climbed until it became almost invisible and after the engine cut out it just glided towards Epsom Town and I never saw it again! The next aircraft project was the building of the New Junior 60 from December 1962. This is the plane I have pictured with the Falcon in my earlier posts. It still flies with rudder and throttle control only and has the original ED Racer. That said the photograph shows the plane fitted with an Enya 19 which has exactly the same bearer fixings as the ED Racer so the engines can be easily interchanged.

It's snowing outside,roll on the summer!
michael j etheri is offline Find More Posts by michael j etheri
Old Feb 11, 2012, 01:59 AM
Joined May 1999
2,843 Posts
Took a short break from the Falcon to repair my Black Magic (see Back Magic! thread) and repair a couple of FF models. So now that that's done I'll get onto the finishing things up on the Falcon.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 05:54 AM
Joined Jun 2011
10 Posts
I saw a Black Magic fly on my first trip to Epsom Downs when I was about 11 years of age (1958). My friends and I had taken some tow-line gliders with us such as the Keil Kraft Dolphin and Soarer Baby to the Downs.We were so impressed with the Black Magic and the other IC free- flighters such as the Keil Kraft Bantam that it encouraged us to acquire our first IC engines and planes which we flew the following summer.

I noted in some of the earlier posts that there were queries with servo types for the Falcon. Well without any calculations as such I decided to fit high-torque servos to control the elevator and rudder, and a standard sevo to control the throttle.

MJE
michael j etheri is offline Find More Posts by michael j etheri
Old Feb 17, 2012, 03:27 PM
United Kingdom, England, East Horsley
Joined Dec 2004
21 Posts
Here are some building shots of my Falcon which I started about 4 months ago. I've got the Ben Buckle plan set which gives me the major shapes and sizes, but also some A3 prints of the Keil Kraft plans so it will be a hybrid with some of my own mods.

I'm going to put a feather servo in the fin for the rudder.

Although the two elevators are joined in the photo, I'm thinking about two Hitec HS56HB feather servos in the stabiliser, one for each elevator half.

Bearing in mind the reports of squirrelling during take off I've also been thinking that another servo to steer the tail wheel might be a good idea.
BalsaBasher is offline Find More Posts by BalsaBasher
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined May 1999
2,843 Posts
Looks great BB and all too familiar!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:18 PM
Joined May 2009
563 Posts
Wow!! Now that's what I call joinery! Very clean, very nicely done!
cd_webb is online now Find More Posts by cd_webb
Old Feb 18, 2012, 02:03 AM
South Korea
Joined Feb 2005
724 Posts
MMmm,, very nice work indeed... I can see that we are having similar ideas about securing the aft undercarriage wire "Balsa Basher"....Mine is going to be fixed by sadle clamps onto hardwood with a breakout section in the under fuselarge in case the UC has to be removed for straightening.

I'm just building the stab....taking ages, hopefullly onto the elevator tomorrow
Last edited by Chris Jenkins; Feb 18, 2012 at 06:17 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:44 AM
South Korea
Joined Feb 2005
724 Posts
I added 1/8 inch webs between the forward sheeting (sheeting from 3/32nd balsa) plus capping strips. Seemed easier to me. Nice and strong anyway !

The holes in the underside are for two 3kg torque airleron servos. With a laser up front I dont think tail weight will be a major issue.

Couple of pictures prior to sanding, and later with front fairing complete along with fin seating. Final fit up will await fuselarge completion.

Now on to the elevators !
Last edited by Chris Jenkins; Feb 20, 2012 at 03:11 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:17 AM
South Korea
Joined Feb 2005
724 Posts
Things are progressing slowly...its the sheer amount of building required for this model that takes the time. With a 36 inch span, I've built easier complete models than the tail feathers of the Falcon.

I opted to make the elevator ribs out of 1/8th sheet rather than 3/32nd.. On to the starboard side tomorrow with luck (must get in more beer).

I'm not going to construct the servo attachments until weighing up the complete airframe to ensure that there will be no tail heavy issues.....I really don't expect that, but best to be on the safe side

Chris