HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2004, 09:11 AM
Endangered User
United States, FL, Casselberry
Joined Jul 2002
1,307 Posts
Post Ratio Automatic System

I am very glad to see this implemented.

I wish it had been implemented before I was locked out of the forum for a week (not even read access on this forum, something even a non-registered vistor gets).

Fortunately, it seems nobody else will have to go through what I went through.

Of course, a much better solution would be the abandonment of a rule that benefits nobody in any measurable way, but what do I know?

Matt
MattLarson29 is online now Find More Posts by MattLarson29
Old Jul 16, 2004, 09:51 AM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Last edited by Gerald; May 07, 2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2004, 10:26 AM
Endangered User
Joined Jul 2002
1,307 Posts
Thanks, Gerald, for that insightful commentary.

Matt
Old Jul 16, 2004, 10:32 AM
Too Little Too Late
MICHIGAN... 48189
Joined Jan 2002
323 Posts
Really closed

I tried to post an OT question , was not allowed to do so. Guess the thread is really closed.

Jerry
BIGSAPPY is offline Find More Posts by BIGSAPPY
Old Jul 16, 2004, 10:36 AM
These go to eleven...
Hickory, NC
Joined Jan 2001
446 Posts
New system seems fair enough. How can I see my current ratio?
dstout is offline Find More Posts by dstout
Old Jul 16, 2004, 10:40 AM
Fe Fi Fo Fum
Useless Loop, Australia
Joined Apr 2001
1,293 Posts
Jerry,

I just had a problem posting a reply in OT. I got a message about the new automatic ratio, but when I checked I was well inside the necessary ratio...

Brian Cullen reckons there might be teething problems, so I'll wait and see . To get around it for now, you could try an on topic post...it worked for me.

Rich
Large One is offline Find More Posts by Large One
Old Jul 16, 2004, 10:46 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,542 Posts
There was a minor problem, in that the software didn't like it if the only posts that a member made since the option was switched on were to the Off Topic forum. Making a post to an on topic forum then resulted in the software working how we expected it to work and that problem has now been fixed, so should not cause that to happen again.

You can see your current ratio by doing a search of your posts and looking how many of the last ten posts are on topic.

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jul 16, 2004, 11:31 AM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Last edited by Gerald; May 07, 2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2004, 12:52 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald
Losing access to this forum is hardly something to ask for sympathy over. If you think it's that important maybe you should get out a little bit more and enjoy the real world to get a better perspective.
There's a lot to be aggravated about going on in the real world..
The local fires... The Ca. ANG is using C-130s, as the CDF large tankers are grounded.. but... the C-130s are flying from a base 100 miles away, while the CDF tanker base is not being used although it handles C-130s, and it's just 10 miles from the fire.
One wonders about the priorities of the CANG and CDF.. Shouldn't cooperation in the face of adversity be paramount, not whose turf is being used?
Now that's a knickers twister.. to the taxpayer..
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Jul 16, 2004, 05:25 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
IMO it just seems like the typical clumsy attempt by a large organization to limit a very ambiguous and subjective type of irritating behaviour of a few by creating a never ending evolutions of new rules, rather than dealing with the specific offenders themselves.

It baffles me why the original simple rules of behaviour are not sufficient. It's as if management resents having an OT forum and would prefer not to, but doesn't want to get rid of it because of it's popularity. This duality of agendas has always seemed a bit odd.

"We want you all to have a place to discuss non-hobby topics so they don't clutter up the other fora, but don't enjoy it too much, and don't annoy us by not participating in the hobby forums as much as we feel you should be".
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Jul 16, 2004, 06:01 PM
Administrator
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Nov 1998
5,405 Posts
Dog,

This forum is here because I made it. I want it here. There is no duality of agendas on my part.

It's the moderators who are split. Some of them want it gone. Others want it to be here. We ALL agree that left on it's own it quickly becomes a mess.

This forum is probably 10 times more time-consuming to moderate than any other. That's probably the piece you are missing that is causing you to be baffled. Our volunteers are burned out and tired of repeating themselves.

Jim
jbourke is offline Find More Posts by jbourke
Administrator
Old Jul 16, 2004, 06:46 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
I think you should change the name of this forum to Life, The Universe and No politics. Politics have been beaten to death, it's boring. All that happens is people start insulting each other about left and right, the moderator shuts it down, and 3 more threads are spawned about why it was shut . I like the threads about pet turtles, lawn cutting and computers - politics are snooze fests.
larsy87 is offline Find More Posts by larsy87
Old Jul 16, 2004, 07:04 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Jim,

I did say "Management". It was not an oblique reference to your personal agenda in particular.

And what causes me to be baffled is the function of OT seems to be both understood and appreciated, and resented and dismissed at the same time.

You of course made the OT forum available to limit the signal to noise ratio in the other on topic fora, yet even though OT fulfills that function, every couple of months we hear about what a constant PIA OT is, and yet another refinement of the rules is needed.

It's folly to think that the nature of the "Offending" posters is going to be curbed without addressing them specifically, and banning them if they refuse to conform to whatever the desired "Appropriate" behaviour is deemed to be by management. I myself certainly expect to be told privately if my behaviour becomes disruptive to the overall function of this site.

If the dissenting moderators think that having one forum as a focus for all that is is contentious is a nuisance, I suspect that the alternative of trawling the other fifty plus for the inevitable OT tangents would be even more so for them.

As much as some would like to make it otherwise, the simple fact seems to be that even model airplane folks have much more to relate to each other than just model airplane facts & advice.

Anyway, my opinion is irrelevant to the continuing operation of this site. I just hang out here because I like model planes, and I like discussing a variety of subjects with other model airplane folks who's company I've come to enjoy. Just like at the flying field.
Old Jul 16, 2004, 07:07 PM
Endangered User
Joined Jul 2002
1,307 Posts
Check out the USENET model airplane forums for a prime example of what the 'Dog pointed out - without a place to focus it, the political discussion would likely spread like a dust storm throughout the 'Zone, and makes life a whole lot tougher on the moderators.

This way, all the problem children are in one classroom

Matt
Old Jul 16, 2004, 07:13 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattLarson29

This way, all the problem children are in one classroom

Matt

Made me laugh out loud. Is there room for our model planes on the short bus?