HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2004, 08:14 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,683 Posts
Does anyone build the slow stick STOCK???

I see all these mods, and I was wondering does anyone build and fly these things stock? I have been holding off building it because I keep thinking I MUST do the mods. I think the only mods I am going to do are to use my own strapping tape and epoxy. That should be good enough right?
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2004, 08:28 PM
Can't build them all!
Orlando, FL
Joined Jan 2004
363 Posts
Soholingo,

IMHO, you should also junk the aluminum dihedral tubes and go to brass. I learned the hard way with a folded wing at about 50 feet. You would also be well advised to incorporate the 3 deg. down and right. I made one that didn't quite have enough down and right so when I throttle down I must change the elevator trim to stop from diving. A prop saver is also a very good idea.

By the way, I did fly mine stock for about the first month. You'll love your SS. Mine came with the 300 and i ran it until it stated heading south. Now I have a 350 which provides a second tier of training for my return to R/C after 17 years.

Bill "AKACully"
AKACully is offline Find More Posts by AKACully
Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:43 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,145 Posts
What'd you do, Jay? Get tired of flying an RC rocket?

mw

Btw, they fly fine right outta the box. The brass tube is a good idea though.
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:49 PM
DrT
Hangtown, Ca.
Joined Mar 2004
218 Posts
I would also recommend the brass tube mod. Look in your local home improvement/hardware store, or hobby shop. Bend them to fit the plastic wing mounts.
Attach the motor with small screw or bolt, glued on motors usually fall off.
Check the square tube for a twist (look down the length of the tube). If twisted (some are), install it for down & right thrust.
Dr.T
DrT is offline Find More Posts by DrT
Old Jul 16, 2004, 12:10 AM
Registered Foam Abuser
Stone Mountain
Joined Oct 2003
1,592 Posts
I reccomend the "tail mod" for long term durability.
jiggiba is offline Find More Posts by jiggiba
Old Jul 16, 2004, 12:55 AM
Engineer...in training
Calgary
Joined Jul 2004
87 Posts
ooo cool tail mod what is that?
Other than epoxy and the prop saver, I'm stock.
H a r m l e s s is offline Find More Posts by H a r m l e s s
Old Jul 16, 2004, 07:18 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,683 Posts
Mark,

A man needs variety. Besides I can fly the slow stick while my kids are playing at the tot lot. The hotliners are daddy's time alone plane.

If I can find the brass tube I will use that, but other wise I am building this baby this weekend. Its driving me crazy to keep missing this spots of good weather. It does seem that no one builds these stock...
Old Jul 16, 2004, 08:01 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,145 Posts
Is there ANYTHING that we build "stock"?

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jul 16, 2004, 08:15 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood
Is there ANYTHING that we build "stock"?

mw
Touche
Old Jul 16, 2004, 08:24 AM
PlaneCrazy
Central California
Joined Sep 2003
2,540 Posts
I built mine stock, and as light as possible, and it didnt fly half as good as the other guys I fly with, the biggest difference was theirs were alot heavier, bigger battery's, camera's ect, mine just seemed to be at the mercy of the wind, If I still had mine, I would only make 2 changes, Bigger heavier battery and brushless motor.

4 whatitsworth.
jdcook54 is offline Find More Posts by jdcook54
Old Jul 16, 2004, 08:38 AM
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE!!
Knoxville Tyson, Tennesse, United States
Joined Feb 2004
564 Posts
If you can't find brass tubing, and even if you do, here's a great way to prevent wing folding during loops. You can cut a wide angled piece of 1/8 inch plywood and fit it to the dihedral of the tubing and wing. Epoxy it into place. Forget wing folding!!!
Ron
ronmar1 is offline Find More Posts by ronmar1
Last edited by ronmar1; Jul 16, 2004 at 08:46 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2004, 02:24 PM
Trapped in California
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Nov 2003
1,834 Posts
I'm still flying mine stock and really enjoy it. No extra wing reinforcement, no brass instead of aluminum, no brushless motor.
foamflyer is offline Find More Posts by foamflyer
Old Jul 16, 2004, 10:48 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Fly's great stock!!! Kan1050 7 cells and like you said, your own tape and some epoxy to hold the rods to the wing and you're good to go.
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Old Jul 17, 2004, 04:10 AM
Joined Feb 2004
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soholingo
I see all these mods, and I was wondering does anyone build and fly these things stock? I have been holding off building it because I keep thinking I MUST do the mods. I think the only mods I am going to do are to use my own strapping tape and epoxy. That should be good enough right?
i built my first slowstick stock... everything from the box, even the crappy tape!
flew a few flights and found that the aluminium tube had hairline cracks on it. then epoxied a brass tube over the top of the aluminium. still flying it that way. i had to change to 350D motor after the 300 burned out.
so there you go..stock formosa.

i have a second one now.. and it pretty much has the usual mods, brass tube, tape the wings. wood down the fuse.

flies better because of the extra weight.

have fun flying!
Ken
kennyc is offline Find More Posts by kennyc
Old Jul 17, 2004, 04:33 PM
Pedal Power!
the lake
Joined Oct 2002
1,095 Posts
Been flying a bone stock SS with 600 mah "Airstrike" batts with no problems, loops and all. Seems to fly great. The only problem as been a busted and reglued vertical tail (trunk mishap).

I just switched to Kan 7x1050 w Sermos and the it is now faster and heavier making for a lot more stress so it is time for some mods. I think I'll go with the fishing line to the landing gear instead of the brass.
lakedude is offline Find More Posts by lakedude