SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 15, 2004, 02:59 PM
Clintwood, Virginia
Joined Jul 2003
1,146 Posts
Trying to build my first wing... built up FFF?

I've only built one balsa wing... that was an gentle lady about 20 years ago.. and I don't remember a thing. I don't have any balsa handy. Is it possible to build a wing from carbon and fan fold? I've tried solite on the fff and it seems like it would stick well enough. I'm out to build a wing for my SS. Going to be a 11.75" chord and around a 55" wingspan. Airfoil is a chen high lift. The wing in the cad drawing I was working on is a bit big at 3' (72" wingspan), but I wanted to see how the spacing looked on the formers. I have them 4" apart.
Am I going to be wasting a lot of effort??
Thanks for any help.
Newberry is offline Find More Posts by Newberry
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2004, 03:06 PM
Speed's Custom
Jersey
Joined Jun 2004
128 Posts
Doesn't look like it...

I think it should make for an awesome wing. Looks good too.

Covering may be tricky, but you say it holds well.

Speed
Speedballer109 is offline Find More Posts by Speedballer109
Old Jul 16, 2004, 03:50 PM
Clintwood, Virginia
Joined Jul 2003
1,146 Posts
Thanks Speed.
Anyone tried building from foam?
Newberry is offline Find More Posts by Newberry
Old Jul 16, 2004, 04:53 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
There are things like that over on the foamie forum.

I'd have thought it would be stiffer if you did it more like 'conventional' balsa construction with a full length (carbon?) spar at the top and bottom of the wing and some foam webs in between.

If you didn't want to use a carbon spar you could use foam lying flat (like the rear spar in your picture) - ultimately you could sheet the front of the wing down to the LE.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett