SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 15, 2004, 12:33 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,761 Posts
Guillow's Lancer- Not great

I decided to try and do a conversion of a Guillow's Lancer. OK, I had fond memories of this airplane when I was a kid (building one with my Pop) but I've never seen one really fly. I had several kits, and decided to give it a shot as something that would be easy to travel with, and easy to fly.

First pass used 2 FMA PS20 servos, the ubiquitous GWS R-4P rx, and a VL HY 50K motor along with a 2 cell Kokam 145 pack- think I was using 3.5" hardwood prop from Superior. No joy- just a powered glide. (I've only got a kitchen scale- somewhere around 1.5 oz IIRC. Decided to up the power to an HY-50F, which necessitated chopping the snoot down. Went to an Etec 250 pack- weight climbed up some. 4" Peck silver prop. Got a decent flight out of it, but the airplane was marginal- could have used more oomph. Worst problem was that it was stally- lost altitude a lot easier than it gained it. It also had a glide akin to a brick. (I probably twiddled the airfoils some- I know changed the stab airfoil, moved the high point back.) So, although the airplane flew- it wasn't what I was looking for, and I yanked the gear out.

Realistically, I think the long skinny wings are a mistake on an airplane this size (gonna try and reconvert it back to rubber.) There's just not enough area for something that should fly relatively slowly, so I'm going to look for an airplane with a lower aspect ratio wing. I'm looking for something that can travel easily, which means no more than 2 feet in any single dimension. I used to fly a VL Pacer which was wonderful, but was a one piece airplane. If I get really aggravated, I'll design my own....

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2004, 08:29 PM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
How about some slight modifications?

example. increase wing area some by adding an inch or 2 to the tips. or more for that matter.
Blow up the entire plan say 20 percent or more and allow use oif the heavier gear.

Weigh your balsa before you buy it. The eye can be decieving.

Robert
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:02 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,761 Posts
Robert

The Guillow's printwood isn't bad, and it's 1/20. The overall weight of the airplane for rubber power is probably fine- I'll do some extra hacking and make sure, but I don't see it as a big deal. I wanted to use the sturdy Guillow's wood because for an airplane that's going to travel, a little extra beef isn't an issue. I built a Guillow's 17" FW-190 that flies fine using the stock wood, but that's got ailerons and is not for the faint of heart.

I don't think adding an inch to the tips is going to do much, and if I wanted to blow the plans up 20%, I'd just build an Arrow instead. The real problem is that the wing is too high aspect ratio, and just doesn't have enough area- doubling the chord might help. But by the time I'm going through all this aggravation- it's simpler just to pick a different airplane to start with- this was more of a cautionary tale for somebody contemplating the same thing as me. Mind you , the airplane does fly, it's just not that enjoyable, so I'll keep looking.

Sam
Old Sep 07, 2006, 04:45 AM
United States, WA, Yacolt
Joined Dec 2005
1,027 Posts
an old thread

I just blew up the plans 200%, going to build it in 4' version with brushless and 11.1 3 cell lipo, will see how it flies now. Looking at the original bird, it's too small by default for RC use.
saucerguy is offline Find More Posts by saucerguy
Old Sep 07, 2006, 05:55 AM
massachusetts
Joined Aug 2003
923 Posts
Hi Megowcoup ; Iím right over the border. In Holyoke MA. Do you fly at the dome in E. Winsor. Here a rubber conversion I did a while back. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437280
Downwind 1 is offline Find More Posts by Downwind 1
Old Sep 07, 2006, 08:15 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,761 Posts
I haven't made it up to the dome in E. Windsor yet- I heard it was nice. I still fly my Fleet rubber power- it's a beautiful flyer.

These days the Lancer would be a bit more doable- took me a while to figure out that the gearbox was the issue- it's got too much drag when you run that few watts. (Aeromicro was selling the same box- needs at least 8-10 watts) These days the airplane might have a bit more of a shot- use the DJ Aerotech gearbox with a 5" prop- and go to the 4 gram servos-stay with 145 2 cell packs or lighter. IIRC- with the lightest pack, it actually had a decent glide.

Sam