HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2004, 09:49 PM
Vol
Joined Jul 2004
32 Posts
Help! Messed up my transmitter

Sorry but this is going to be a bit long.

I got my Dragonfly with a GWS radio. It came with a trainer cord for the computer. I didn't specify which mode, so I got mode 1. After flying planes for so long in mode 2, I couldn't get used to it. I gave it a good week on the simulator. I switched around the controls on the simulator so the radio behaved like a mode 2. Low and behold, I was hovering and having a grand old time and life was good.

Then I decided to try and switch the radio over to mode 2...

I was very careful, I switched the pots for throttle and elevator, and didn't even have to solder anything. There was enough wire to just physically swap them. I moved the "clicky" thing over to the left, put the spring thing on the right and put it back together. It seemed to be fine. It ain't. I'm really mad at myself right now because I happen to be good at taking small things apart and fixing them.

I screwed something up. The throttle no longer works, and the rudder controls throttle and rudder at the same time. I took it back apart and looked everything over real good. I even checked for broken wires with my meter. Everything seems in order, except I screwed this thing up. I've given up on it and will chalk it up to experience. Maybe I twisted the board and something got screwed up, I don't know. It's not mechanical because the pots are all working fine, I checked those too.

Now I want to just replace the radio but I'm confused by crystals and shifts etc..

Can someone please dumb this down for me?

The DF has a 4-in-1 receiver. I want to keep it. I don't want to go seperates
when i haven't even flown the thing as is yet.

Can I go to the local hobby store and get a good 4 channel radio, like a Hitec Laser, and use that? Will I need crystals? Can I use my old crystals? What if he only has Futaba? Is there a shift difference or something with those? Can I use my old crystals on that one too? Do I need to get two new crystals no matter which radio I buy?

Also, can *any* of these 4 channels with a trainer plug work with the flight sim? Being able to fly on the computer is a must.

If anyone with radio/receiver/crystal/flight sim/explaining things to a dummy experience can help me I would very much appreciate it.

-Confused
Vol is offline Find More Posts by Vol
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2004, 10:10 PM
Vol
Joined Jul 2004
32 Posts
OK, I just found and read the 1st post in the radios forum. It sounds like I need to buy a radio and both crystals. That's fine. I guess I need to know if the 4-in-1 receiver is positive or negative shift, and if it's single or dual conversion. Then I have to find out which radios are correct for that? The crystals say "FM Type 72-4" if that means anything.
Old Jul 16, 2004, 04:35 PM
Vol
Joined Jul 2004
32 Posts
Thanks to all who jumped in to help!

Doesn't matter anyway... I knocked a tiny wire off the board, it still looked connected but it wasn't. That was an easy fixe and now I have a mode 2 radio.

Also it doesn't matter because I just found out that what I have is NOT a GWS product at all. Just an imitation that looks exactly like it.

Pay attention before you buy, if you are new to this as I am.