HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2004, 01:22 PM
Australian in the USA
Orange, CA USA
Joined Aug 2002
816 Posts
Flying sites in Orange, CA

Do any RC clubs/other fly inside the old “Tustin Marine Corps Air Station”?

It is a fantastic site.....
Paranoia is offline Find More Posts by Paranoia
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2004, 02:23 PM
Trapped in California
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Nov 2003
1,853 Posts
What ever happened to the place called "Mile Square"?
foamflyer is online now Find More Posts by foamflyer
Old Jul 14, 2004, 02:35 PM
Fullerton, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
344 Posts
mile square became a nice golf course.

paranoia- try katella high school. folks from HP orange go there on sunday mornings. freq board etc. nice place, large mostly grass and a base ball diamond at one end.

there are others but not in orange
fleanme is offline Find More Posts by fleanme
Old Jul 14, 2004, 02:36 PM
Australian in the USA
Orange, CA USA
Joined Aug 2002
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamflyer
What ever happened to the place called "Mile Square"?

mmmm, looks like a public RC area.....
Old Jul 14, 2004, 03:03 PM
Australian in the USA
Orange, CA USA
Joined Aug 2002
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleanme
mile square became a nice golf course.

paranoia- try katella high school. folks from HP orange go there on sunday mornings. freq board etc. nice place, large mostly grass and a base ball diamond at one end.

there are others but not in orange

sounds good.....
Old Jul 14, 2004, 04:25 PM
Joined Apr 2002
344 Posts
that map is older than my marriage. . no really. if you go down there that nice runway that used to be there, and the cool 1/4 scale buggy track, and the 1/8 scale dirt track are now the back 9 (don't know the realy hole number, but they are there).

if you want to go that far, you might try fairview park. herb, the jet guy, here on the zone flies down there, as do others.

a group of us fly at tricity park which is nice, but you have to get there early on the weekends because of soccer and baseball. a great group of guys to fly with.
Old Jul 16, 2004, 11:21 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,133 Posts
Quote:
... Herb, the jet guy, here on the zone flies down there, as do others. ...
Indeed . It's the HSS Glider/Electric club site at the end of Canyon Drive in Costa Mesa, directions here:

http://www.1hss.org/

Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old Jul 16, 2004, 12:38 PM
Australian in the USA
Orange, CA USA
Joined Aug 2002
816 Posts
Herb, what is the membership cost?
Old Jul 16, 2004, 12:48 PM
Joined Apr 2002
344 Posts
thanks herb for the web link-
hope i did not sound repugnant. i have seen most of your jets fly there and they are quite impressive.

par-
if you have kids, you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone. this weekend is a free train ride over across the street from the flying field (sort of). they ask for donations, but you can ride from 10am to 3pm, sat and sunday.
www.livesteamclubs.com/Ocme/Ocme.html

due to kid interest, i can only watch the guys fly, as my kids only like airplanes to amuse me.

herb will you be there this weekend? a fellow ezoner is interested in viewing your bungee launchers, and how to build them
neal
Old Jul 16, 2004, 01:01 PM
SoCal
Joined Jul 2004
45 Posts
Paranoia~

I fly at Katella, Its a decent place. It pretty open, all grass with baseball diamonds as mentioned before.
Come on out!

~ToaDsiX
ToaDsiX is offline Find More Posts by ToaDsiX
Old Jul 16, 2004, 02:11 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,845 Posts
Quote:
if you want to go that far, you might try fairview park. herb, the jet guy, here on the zone flies down there, as do others.
to which Herb posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb
Indeed . It's the HSS Glider/Electric club site at the end of Canyon Drive in Costa Mesa, directions here:

http://www.1hss.org/
Ayup.. Pretty good place to fly.

My only complaint is that no matter what I'm flying at the time, whenever Herb shows up I always feel like I'm flying a target drone

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Jul 17, 2004, 12:49 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia
Herb, what is the membership cost?
It's part of a public park (Fairview Park in Costa Mesa), so there are no membership costs. Almost all glider guys are part of HSS though ($20 a year) and partecipate in contests etc.

But many electric guys just show up and fly. Still, it's an AMA sanctioned site, and we do have a frequency board & strict frequency control.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 12:00 AM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,348 Posts
Or if you really want to pay for a super dooper site, the nearby El Toro marine base will let you fly on a real jet run way, for a pretty super dooper membership fee, too. This marine base is in the process of being redeveloped into the Irvine great park, which hopefully will include a public flying site (like that's going to happen).

Tustin marine base was purchased by home builders William Lyon and Lennar, so guess what they're going to put there?

There was a long hard fought battle to stop the Mile sq park golf course, but at the end greedy politician wins again. Did you know the hobby field is already next to TWO golf courses? It didn't make sense to build a third one. Now they are offering all kinds of incentives like weekday discounts just to get things moving there.

Fairview is the last AMA sanctioned free flying site in OC, so sad...

Hi Herb
Steph280 is online now Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Jul 18, 2004, 03:27 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph280
... the nearby El Toro marine base will let you fly on a real jet run way, for a pretty super dooper membership fee, too. This marine base is in the process of being redeveloped into the Irvine great park... Hi Herb
Hello Steve ... yes maybe for a few more months , then it'll be over as there's really no plan for any sort of RC plane flying in our Irvine Great Park. I've contacted the city RE a glider/electric park, but there's not much sympathy .

Crashing a quarter scale Extra into the nearby nursery over the weekend, with the owner then trespassing into the adjacent nursery to retrieve it and doing all sorts of damage in the process (I have been told) did not help either when it got into the local news ...

Herb
Old Jul 18, 2004, 05:15 PM
Joined Jul 2004
16 Posts
any sites near brea?
anxious is offline Find More Posts by anxious