Old Jul 14, 2004, 03:48 AM
MLD
Joined Jul 2004
19 Posts
.40 size flying wing kit or plan

Hello,
I'm interested in building a flying wing, but with a glow engine around .40
I want a FW without any vertical plan.
Can you help me to find a plan or a kit ?

I don't want a ARF.

Thank you
MLD
MLD is offline Find More Posts by MLD
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2004, 08:05 PM
Frequent Flyer
Kalamazoo, MI USA
Joined Aug 2003
2,892 Posts
Welcome to RCgroups!
I don't know the weight a .40 engine, or what kind of thrust it is capable of, or if glow fuel harms fanfold foam, but take a look here.
A lot of people have built those wings in many different sizes. They can easily be scaled up or down to suit whatever purpose you have in mind.

Brian
wattsup_kz is offline Find More Posts by wattsup_kz
Old Jul 14, 2004, 11:53 PM
Man Of Badgers
Leon, Kansas
Joined Mar 2003
133 Posts
hey, i remember a gas wing in an old mag i had (threw away last week when i moved, sorry) But i think it was a v-bat. i dont remember much else and couldnt find anything on it in a google search. sorry its not much, but i thought it might spark someones memory.
Oblivious Boy is offline Find More Posts by Oblivious Boy
Old Jul 17, 2004, 11:13 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
Check the plan catalogues for Flying Models, Model Airplane News, and Radio Control Modeler among others, if you don't mind cutting out you own parts. There are also several kits on the market currently being advertised.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Jul 27, 2004, 11:07 AM
Toledo Express, Ohio, United States
Joined Oct 2003
150 Posts
.40wing

try rcm magazine Scimitar 540 by Bill Evans.Built one years ago with astro25 would be much nicer now with the new brushless motors available.
desire is offline Find More Posts by desire
Old Jul 27, 2004, 11:54 AM
SpeedWing Test Cruncher
Loveland, Colorado, United States
Joined Jan 2003
899 Posts
Smokin' Zagi by Acer

Here's a bit of history and maybe some help...

This is one of the early mods Acer (Andy) did. It started off as a stock zagi and as would be suspected, it was not nearly fast enough for him. He did alot of searching around and found some people were trying different electric motor/battery configurations trying to get some extra performance from their wings, but still seemed to him to be too slow.

So, why not try to remake the zagi into a glow powered beast? After much consideration and wanting to keep it light as possible but very strong, he chose to glass the cores and use a Norvel .061 engine. His redesign was quite good worked perfectly -- extremely fast. After many requests from e-zoner's and others, he put up a website with building instructions for all the brave soles wanting to build this rocket.

I haven't even thought about this first wing of Acer's for about a year now --But checking it out, I see this geocities site is still up and working (mostly -- No video). If you (or anyone) are interested, here's the URL... http://www.geocities.com/sixgunner45/.

Have fun.

-Rodger
marjamar is offline Find More Posts by marjamar
Last edited by marjamar; Jul 27, 2004 at 12:02 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 01:29 PM
RCAPA #14
United States, TX, Wimberley
Joined Mar 2004
1,915 Posts
A .40 glow wing would have to be a substantial beast for sure!.. I am flying 65"+ wingspan models on motors as small as an AXI2212/34.. this motor puts out around 25oz of thrust and the wing(for AP) weighs 60oz... You can fly a wing with about 1/3 of the thrust of the total weight of the model... Not that it will be a bullet or anything like that, but it will fly just fine.. If you really wanted a .40 wing you need to decide if you want a crazy fast one or a more of a payload carrying Wing.... My current wing(ZAGNUTZ) is 70" version for Ariel photography and video.. It carries 3x 1500 poly 3 cell packs and a substantial video system... It is flying with a Jeti 30-13 (i think) and I am turning a 9x6 prop pulling 14 AMPS.. It flies GREAT and it can be hand launched and landed in semi-tight spaces.... With a 40 size model for payload you could easily carry 4+ lbs of cargo in an 80+" inch wing. It would be a lazy flyer, OR you could get a high end .40 and a carbon reinforced wing and fly at 140MPH or more.... I know some of the high end mini-Speed wings with high rpm Brushless motors are capable of the same speeds.... You just gotta make some choices!

Myron
Myron is offline Find More Posts by Myron
Old Jan 06, 2005, 09:30 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1 Posts
I have an old OBELIX built from the plans in RCM&E decades ago. I lent the plans to someone and never got them back, does anyone know where I can get another copy from?
Mr K is offline Find More Posts by Mr K
Old Jan 07, 2005, 05:09 AM
Busselton Western Australia
Joined Aug 2003
359 Posts
Rodger
With the glow motor how do you get it to work as a pusher?
Can you get pusher props for glow engine?
Rob
Rob Russell is offline Find More Posts by Rob Russell
Old Jan 07, 2005, 11:37 AM
Joined Nov 2004
55 Posts
rob: yes, you can get reverse pitch props for glow engine

One of the senior design planes from the University of Missouri-Rolla in 2000 was a flying wing powered by a 60 engine, if I recall correctly. It wasn't overly large though (6 foot-ish)
grindel is offline Find More Posts by grindel
Old Jan 07, 2005, 01:01 PM
the flying is good
USA, CT, Hamden
Joined Oct 2002
2,090 Posts
Gremlins,
http://www.racores.com/

Made for a .25 but will take any .40 you can put in it.
foam wing, pvc fuselage, MOTOR.
dephela is online now Find More Posts by dephela