HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2004, 10:25 PM
Master and Commander
Bedford, Tx
Joined May 2004
234 Posts
How windy is too windy?

How windy is too windy?
I tried to fly my RV-4 in 10 mph winds and it was all over the place.
AUW is 16 oz.
The wind was blowing it all over the place?
Does it need to be really really calm to fly?
I am used to fuellies I guess?
Julian537 is offline Find More Posts by Julian537
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2004, 10:28 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,536 Posts
i dont know what that plane is but wing area is usually a large factor. i usually fly in 5-10 mph winds and it is harder to control but i just try not to bank too hard or it will get blown around more
brianb10 is offline Find More Posts by brianb10
Old Jul 13, 2004, 11:11 PM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
Once I got fairly good, I kept flying in more and more wind...up to 25 miles per hour...to give me better skills. This was with a Telemaster and a slimer, 20+ years ago.

With something lighter - and depending on wing area/loading - wind can completely overpower either or both the power (can't get it back to the field) or the control-ability.

Except for dead calm, the more wind the harder it is for me to tell if the model is even trimmed correctly. Only with large (5+ pound) aerobatic models will I do a test flight in anything but calm weather.

It is not the fuel, it is other factors.

Just my opinion. Sometimes I'm right. (Stole that line ;p

Terry
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc
Old Jul 14, 2004, 01:32 AM
pfm
Patrick Mahoney
Fort Collins, CO
Joined Sep 2002
1,070 Posts
It depends on the plane for me. I occassionally flew my Hangover in winds up to 20mph (as measured by the Wunderground.Com weather station that was less than 1/4 mile away). I've flown my Slow Stick up to about 15mph. The biggest problem with a light model for me is running over to it after it lands to keep the wind from picking it up and cartwheeling it across the field. Removing the landing gear helped with this a bit, but this was always the biggest danger.

My Speedwing 400 was up in winds into the low 20's and barely seemed to notice them. For flying in wind, I prefer a wing with a fast motor.
pfm is offline Find More Posts by pfm
Old Jul 14, 2004, 01:42 AM
Falling with style
Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2002
1,487 Posts
I have flown in wind before without problems but last time I tried (at a different flying site) the plane was tossed around a lot, it left me wondering about turbulence as the air moves over the trees and into the clear space where I was flying.
yogorilla is offline Find More Posts by yogorilla
Old Jul 14, 2004, 01:50 AM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,849 Posts
I beleive there is a difference between "windy" and "gusty". Gusty plain out sucks no matter how light the prevailing winds are. Gusts down low like on landing can ruin an otherwise nice flight with very hard landings. I find sunny hot calm days the worst for unexpected gusts. Windy is fine so long as its fairly constant. However, when the wind speed exceeds my forward speed and the plane is going backwards at full throttle, that is generally too windy for me!

As a rule if the plane won't sit on the ground by itself without getting blown away (moving), stay at home and avoid a wreck.
Hepdog is offline Find More Posts by Hepdog
Old Jul 14, 2004, 03:27 AM
Dayton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2004
54 Posts
You need to compare amount of wind to weight of model...my experience that models around 12-16 oz weight start losing good & safe flying qualities around 10-12 mph. You can fly at higher winds but you become a Kite or rocket (down wind)...instead of an airplane. Depends on how you want to fly...Kite like or Airplane like. Thats why I fly early AM or late PM when winds are light (5mph). In light winds for a light park flyer you get airplane response and good flying qualities. Mike
m4mm is offline Find More Posts by m4mm
Old Jul 18, 2004, 01:53 AM
Master and Commander
Bedford, Tx
Joined May 2004
234 Posts
thank you guys for all the advice. I will try to fly in calm winds for a while until I get used to it. I fly all the time in 15- 20 mph winds with my glo trainer. it handles very well. But it also weighs about 4 and 1/2 pounds.
Julian537 is offline Find More Posts by Julian537
Old Jul 18, 2004, 02:08 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
Hmm.. how much wind is too much wind? That's a good question.
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Jul 18, 2004, 04:20 AM
GRAVITY... Just Say NO!
Toledo, OH
Joined Apr 2002
994 Posts
When you put your plane on the ground for take off, and the wind blows it over, it's to windy
ArcherAce is offline Find More Posts by ArcherAce
Old Jul 18, 2004, 07:33 AM
Joined Apr 2001
428 Posts
It's all a balance of weight, power and airframe.

My IFO will fly in windy conditions but, when you pull up, it turns into a kite. My little 24" wing will cut through 30mph winds faily easily.
It's been so windy every weekend up here, you just need to get used to it or not fly at all. Last year was the heat index, this year has been the wind.

Mark
mpj220 is offline Find More Posts by mpj220
Old Jul 18, 2004, 09:46 AM
one game away...
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
Hey, it's never that windy in my opinion. Read the quote under my username!!! I live in Cleveland. If I waited for a windless or near-windless day, I would NEVER fly.

matt
PerfectStranger is offline Find More Posts by PerfectStranger
Old Jul 18, 2004, 10:18 AM
Electric since 1990
East Central Ohio, United States
Joined Jun 2004
3,735 Posts
Depends a lot on the type of plane. More important to take off into the wind.
I can fly my foam wing in ANY wind, and it thinks it's calm.
With other planes if you can keep it upwind so it won't blow away then it's okay.
The trickiest part of flying in the wind is landing. Have to come in faster and try to land into the wind.
Foamaholic is offline Find More Posts by Foamaholic
Old Jul 18, 2004, 10:57 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Just be glad you don't live in Wyoming.

pic originally posted by Acer
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jul 18, 2004, 11:33 AM
JustGoFly
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2003
699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketcase
Just be glad you don't live in Wyoming.
pic originally posted by Acer
Oh man - almost fell of my chair ! Hysterical !

Vinnie
Vindicator! is offline Find More Posts by Vindicator!