HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2004, 10:33 PM
Northern IL/ Southern WI
Joined Jul 2004
588 Posts
New Duratrax 1/5 offroad buggy

Just got the Sept 04 issue of car action and saw a ad for the new Duratrax FireStorm. A 1/5 scale gas buggy. It looks like a REALLY close take off of the FG Marder. I bought a Marder a couple of years ago and I can easily say it was the best R/C vehicle I ever bought. it's got stump pulling power, awsome suspension, and it's built tougher than a tank. brought it out cliff jumping on my last dirt bike trip. 50 ft free falls no problem! 30 ft doubble jumps a breeze. Rough on grass?...you bet! Replace the stock aluminum tie-rods with steel ones and it's darn near indestructable. Only Prob, "FG America"... well it only takes them 6-8 months to get you parts. And for the price of a new set of tires and wheels you might as well just buy a new car.
I am totaly stoked to see duratrax offering a knock off of such a great buggy. I went to thier site and suprisingly they have no info on it. None at all. I was specifically looking for a price and maby a parts list to see how much new tires where. maby they can even push 1/5 scale gas a little closer to main stream R/C

Has anyone seen or heard anything?

Any Pics with the body off?
motorbikemike is offline Find More Posts by motorbikemike
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2004, 12:45 AM
I'll be back..bwap bwaap
Seattle
Joined Oct 2003
450 Posts
This is cool info. I'm looking to purchase a 1/5 scale car of some kind in the next year or so.
Competition brings the prices down ...and boy do they need to come down on these 1/5 scale cars before I get one.
As far as FG or Technokit in the US goes, try giving Ron Metzger at Ronbo Engineering a call. He's in Bellevue, WA, 425-894-1347...He specializes in them both (Distributor me thinks). Tell him 4strokemotorbikemike sent ya.
Drillah is offline Find More Posts by Drillah
Old Jul 24, 2004, 12:33 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Oct 2001
1,037 Posts
I myself am looking forward to hearing more about this car and to see the price tag, I wanted to get a 1/5 for a while but there is not much in Canada that I know of but I know the LHS has Duratrax so should not be a problem getting one as well as parts. Let us know if you get more info!
corey is offline Find More Posts by corey
Old Jul 24, 2004, 01:18 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Oct 2001
1,037 Posts
http://www.duratrax.com/cars/dtxd97.html
http://www.wildhobbies.com/news/defa...articleid=1228
corey is offline Find More Posts by corey
Last edited by corey; Jul 24, 2004 at 01:30 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 11:54 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2004
139 Posts
This buggy looks identical to the smartech traveller which is also an identical copy of the FG marder, we race these at our local club and they are almost indestructable... here in oz the smartech was more than $600.00 cheaper than the FG and the parts are interchangeable although many shops carry smartech spares anyway.. I'd add the link I have, but its not working at the moment, you can try under www.smartechracing.com
MrPropJet is offline Find More Posts by MrPropJet
Old Aug 01, 2004, 12:03 AM
Dubai U.A.E
Joined Oct 2003
867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corey
I myself am looking forward to hearing more about this car and to see the price tag, I wanted to get a 1/5 for a while but there is not much in Canada that I know of but I know the LHS has Duratrax so should not be a problem getting one as well as parts. Let us know if you get more info!
Corey: Advance Hobbies sells FG in Canada. Here's the link:

http://www.advancehobbies.com/

Regards,
kevin@rcbike.com
vaz2107 is offline Find More Posts by vaz2107
Old Aug 01, 2004, 12:09 AM
Dubai U.A.E
Joined Oct 2003
867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbikemike
Only Prob, "FG America"... well it only takes them 6-8 months to get you parts.
Mike: I had a similar problem getting FG parts from the local distributor in Dubai, UAE, so I mail ordered (internet ordered) from a hobby store in Germany. Great service. Here's the link:

http://www.rc-car-online.de/

By the way, my FG car has been indestructible.

regards,
kevin@rcbike.com
vaz2107 is offline Find More Posts by vaz2107
Old Aug 01, 2004, 09:46 PM
Northern IL/ Southern WI
Joined Jul 2004
588 Posts
Hey Majic12, Thanks for the info, thats awsome. How much exactly did you pay for your traveler. I got the marder direct from germany for about $850.00 US minus the radio. I'm gonna call the New York distributor first thing in the morning.

Has anyone seen the FG 1/5 monster truck yet and or have any info on it. I saw a vidio clip online the other day it had no info other than the vid. The truck could pull wheelies over and over again. I checked the FG site but it was not there.
Old Aug 06, 2004, 11:40 PM
Northern IL/ Southern WI
Joined Jul 2004
588 Posts
I tried to contact the Smartech US distributor in New York via the info provided on their website... The company name and phone number is right but the lady on the phone told me that they have lots of people call them inquiring about the smartech cars but they are not a smartech distributor and have never even heard of the company befor. Whats up with That? dose anyone have any other leads on getting ahold of a US Smartech distributor?
Old Aug 10, 2004, 09:16 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2004
139 Posts
smartech!

sorry to hear your having trouble locating smartech to give you an idea here in oz the marder is about $1750, I got my smartech for $1150, which proved to be good value we have had them clocked at 61 kph( I think thats about 38 mph if I'm not wrong)with the standard gears and standard Zenoah , but like most things that can be improved on
Old Aug 10, 2004, 09:24 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2004
139 Posts
monster truck

the website for one of our importers here state that the monster truck is built on the marder chassis and that you can buy conversion kits to change the marder to monster truck or monster beetle
Old Aug 10, 2004, 11:03 AM
Joined Jun 2004
254 Posts
There's also the new xtm 1/5th buggy also with 23cc engine. Then the 1/5th traxxas buggy, aka, monster buggy.
savage is offline Find More Posts by savage
Old Aug 12, 2004, 05:57 PM
Northern IL/ Southern WI
Joined Jul 2004
588 Posts
Majic12 what is the website? I really want to convert my buggy to the truck. Is the conversion by FG or a aftermarket mfg.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 11:12 AM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,190 Posts
hi all,

just an FYI... I put my 1/4 Buggy up for sale in the "For sale" section.
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Old Aug 30, 2004, 02:35 PM
www.orienttoyshobbies.net
NJ, USA
Joined Aug 2004
16 Posts
The FG Monster Truck is scheduled to be released in the USA by mid to end of September. We have already accepted pre-orders on them and should only have a couple of more available on the first shipment. The truck is 2WD with a Zenoah G260RC engine. As of today, FG has not announced any 4WD upgrade for it. If you want to see the truck in action, visit our website at http://www.orienttoyshobbies.net and go to our "News" section. Questions should be sent to sales@orienttoyshobbies.net and we will be very glad to address them.

The Monster Beetle on the otherhand is already out in the market and we have sold out on them. Next shipment will come in about 2-3 weeks. FG will be coming up with a 4WD upgrade for the Marder which will fit the Monster Beetle as well.
strongmaterial is offline Find More Posts by strongmaterial
Last edited by strongmaterial; Aug 30, 2004 at 02:37 PM.