New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2015, 08:51 PM
Find More Posts by silverxxx
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Mar 2014
1,218 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Eachine H8 mini acro firmware

For the last few days I have been making a firmware for the Eachine H8mini quadcopter. My original intention was to make a level mode firmware for the H8mini because of its 32kb flash, but that is not finished yet. So I am posting the acro firmware for now. The firmware uses the original TX and protocol (or compatible).

Note there seem to be more then one H8 quadcopter, this is for the H8 mini such as this one: http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-H8-M...-p-975808.html A different firmware works on the H8 3D (not H8S).

There are also 2 different H8 mini quads, the older has 8 screws and the newer one 12. The firmware now works with both versions.

New boards warning: Some new boards are blue, this firmware will not work on them. Instead a different firmware can be used

Flashing instructions:
Once the original firmware is erased there is no way of restoring it.

You will need an ST-link v2 dongle or another tool supported by keil MDK to flash the board.

1: Connect the CLK pad on the quad pcb to SWCLK on the st-link.
Connect DAT pad to SWDIO.
Connect grounds GND and ST-link GND together.
Keep the wires short, 10-20cm or there may be issues.

2: Download and install MDK (MDK-Core) from http://www2.keil.com/mdk5
You will need to enter an email and some other information to access the download page.

3: Install ST-link v2 drivers if not installed already from:
http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/tools/PF260219# or mirror2

4: (You may skip this step) Download the GigaDevice GD32F130 support pack which adds support for the cpu to MDK from https://app.box.com/s/h5d51zr9x4dfqsu4p96bk9wi46l1adk9 or use Mirror2

5: (You may skip this step) Install pack by using the "pack installer" of Keil uVision - use the toolbar button with 3 squares (last one)
Once the pack installer is open go to file/import and select the pack.

It can also be installed by opening (double-clicking) the .pack file from where it was downloaded.

6: Open the acro firmware project file "Project.uvprojx" in keil uVision and check the following:
(the download link is at the bottom of this post, unzip in it's own folder)

Keil may ask to install the GD32 pack if not present, choose to install, and wait for the progress bar to complete.

Normally the first 2 steps below (a , b) should be already done.

a: check in project/device for target/ that gigadevice GD32F130G6 is selected ( Details )
Alternatively, , go to flash/configure flash tools, and click on "device" tab ( same as above)
(note:changing the target and even clicking on the same one will set the adapter to a different one)
b: check in flash / configure flash tools/ debug ( tab) that the correct (ST-link debugger) adapter is set.
c: now hopefully everything is set right so check that it compiles by clicking project/build targets or the toolbar button. Any error messages show in the "build output" window.
d. Change settings if required in config.h (rates / expo)
e. Compile project again if any config changes were made in order to update the files.

7. Connect the battery to the board and connect the st-link ( in any order).

8. If there are no problems and you really really want to do this,.
*make sure the project compiles without errors before you do this*
*** THIS IS WHAT ERASES THE ORIGINAL FIRMWARE***
hit flash / ERASE . This will reset the flash lock bits and erase the old firmware so you can upload a new firmware. You only need to do this once. An error message may appear in the console, that is ok.

9. Upload the new firmware by using flash/ Download

Files:

The H8 mini acro firmware is located at https://github.com/silver13/h8mini-acro

A dual mode firmware for the H8 can be found here.

A Floureon H101 and H8S version is here (read notes first): http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=289

Other:

A video of the procedure by kah00na: Post 521 Note: you may need to skip select device for target step or refer to step 6a above

Another tutorial with pictures by hcker200: https://hnetinc.com/2016/06/acro-mode-mini-quads/

Changing config settings: Post 852 wiki page: Link
Changing the target device: Post 883

Custom CF frames for the h8 FC by Ian444: Post 1291

CG023 Port of the software ( on stm32f031 ) github

Bayangtoys X9 flashing video by gioy808 ( rcg post)

Daemon Tools note: If Daemon Tools is installed, it may interfere with st-link drivers, and a "No ST-Link connected" message may appear.

Documentation + FAQ: Wiki- content may vary - link thanks to SirDomsen for hosting it
silverxxx is offline Find More Posts by silverxxx
Last edited by silverxxx; Sep 03, 2016 at 05:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2015, 09:50 PM
Find More Posts by vegan
North Canterbury, New Zealand
Joined Mar 2002
710 Posts
is this suitable (ie. not too fake)? http://www.banggood.com/ST-LINK-V2-E...-p-973898.html
vegan is offline Find More Posts by vegan
Old Sep 29, 2015, 09:58 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Mar 2014
1,218 Posts
yeah, that one works.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:10 PM
Find More Posts by vegan
North Canterbury, New Zealand
Joined Mar 2002
710 Posts
Awesome, I'll be trying out your firmware in about a month then
vegan is offline Find More Posts by vegan
Old Sep 30, 2015, 01:04 AM
Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Fan of just about anything RC
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
24,593 Posts
Can you also flash the original firmware back, or make adjustments to the original firmware, like reducing the yaw rate on max rate setting?
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2015, 02:13 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Mar 2014
1,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
Can you also flash the original firmware back, or make adjustments to the original firmware, like reducing the yaw rate on max rate setting?
No, the original firmware is locked, and it can't be saved or modified in any way. It can not be restored.

I am planning to make a level firmware but it will be a while if at all. I actually made most of it but it does not fly better then the factory one.
Old Oct 01, 2015, 07:18 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Mar 2014
1,218 Posts
If anyone tries this let me know.
Old Oct 03, 2015, 07:25 AM
Find More Posts by iwashere
Joined Oct 2015
1 Posts
Hey silverxxx,

I just got my second Eachine H8, and I am going to attempt to install your firmware on it, and then to experiment with developing my own firmware. I just ordered the programmer, so it will take a couple of weeks before I can try it out. Are you still working on this? And is the communication two-way? (I mean does the quadcopter only recieve or also transmit data?

Best regards,
Jeroen
iwashere is offline Find More Posts by iwashere
Old Oct 03, 2015, 03:01 PM
Find More Posts by vzzbx
Joined Oct 2015
81 Posts
Just flashed the firmware and it seems to work great. I want to use it to train my acro mode flying skills.

Using the stock transmitter it handles well, but when I use my devo 7e with bayang protocol I seem to have a very strange roll and pitch curve. From 0 to 80% there is hardly anything but over 80% it suddenly start reacting very aggressively like some sort of auto-flip function. Is anyone using this firmware also using it with the deviation firmware on a devo 7E?
vzzbx is offline Find More Posts by vzzbx
Old Oct 03, 2015, 03:20 PM
Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Fan of just about anything RC
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
24,593 Posts
Maybe it's the dynamic trim feature, that works well on 6G quads, but maybe not on acro mode?
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2015, 04:20 PM
Find More Posts by vzzbx
Joined Oct 2015
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
Maybe it's the dynamic trim feature, that works well on 6G quads, but maybe not on acro mode?
Hmm, could be... It used to be an option, but nowadays it is standard. Guess I have to look into building a new devo firmware to test it.
Old Oct 03, 2015, 09:03 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Mar 2014
1,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwashere View Post
Hey silverxxx,

I just got my second Eachine H8, and I am going to attempt to install your firmware on it, and then to experiment with developing my own firmware. I just ordered the programmer, so it will take a couple of weeks before I can try it out. Are you still working on this? And is the communication two-way? (I mean does the quadcopter only recieve or also transmit data?

Best regards,
Jeroen
The communication is one way. On the RX board the XN297 ic has the CE pin tied high. I am not sure if that would affect 2 way communication. I am still working, but on the level mode firmware atm. I will pass any improvements and fixes to this one as they share most code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzzbx View Post
Just flashed the firmware and it seems to work great. I want to use it to train my acro mode flying skills.

Using the stock transmitter it handles well, but when I use my devo 7e with bayang protocol I seem to have a very strange roll and pitch curve. From 0 to 80% there is hardly anything but over 80% it suddenly start reacting very aggressively like some sort of auto-flip function. Is anyone using this firmware also using it with the deviation firmware on a devo 7E?
It might be the expo function in config.h , set expo to 0. You don't need expo in the rx if you use devo, it's intended for the stock tx.

Looking through the devo code it looks like the dynamic trims are the problem, coupled with the rx side expo which does not handle out of range well.

I commented out the trims and disabled expo by default now. This should hopefully fix the issue and disable dynamic trims. It also makes the stock tx more sensitive around center.
Old Oct 04, 2015, 10:01 AM
Find More Posts by vzzbx
Joined Oct 2015
81 Posts
Quote:
It might be the expo function in config.h , set expo to 0. You don't need expo in the rx if you use devo, it's intended for the stock tx.

Looking through the devo code it looks like the dynamic trims are the problem, coupled with the rx side expo which does not handle out of range well.

I commented out the trims and disabled expo by default now. This should hopefully fix the issue and disable dynamic trims. It also makes the stock tx more sensitive around center.
Yes, this solved the problem entirely. It flies great now using the devo! Thanks for sharing the software, it is really fun to fly a tiny quad in rate mode!
Old Oct 04, 2015, 01:18 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Mar 2014
1,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vzzbx View Post
Yes, this solved the problem entirely. It flies great now using the devo! Thanks for sharing the software, it is really fun to fly a tiny quad in rate mode!
I'm glad you like it. I actually never tried acro mode before I made this, and I only made it because the level mode did not work well. But I really like acro mode now.

Today I should finish a nrf24 module for my i6 tx so I too can enjoy flight with a proper tx. It should be an improvement to the stock tx.
Old Oct 04, 2015, 03:56 PM
Find More Posts by vzzbx
Joined Oct 2015
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverxxx View Post
I'm glad you like it. I actually never tried acro mode before I made this, and I only made it because the level mode did not work well. But I really like acro mode now.

Today I should finish a nrf24 module for my i6 tx so I too can enjoy flight with a proper tx. It should be an improvement to the stock tx.
I am sure you'll be amazed by how precise you can steer the damn thing. With the stock firmware the yaw rate was perfectly usable on a devo whereas it was complete madness with the stock tx. I am going to experiment later this week with the rates as I grew fond of the fast yaw of the original fw. Also for looping the rate needs to be a bit higher too as to not loose too much height.