Old Jul 12, 2004, 05:00 AM
Oh, Ho, Ho, It's Magic!
Australia
Joined Apr 2004
958 Posts
T-IFO ~ Glide ???

Guys,

How well does the T-IFO glide?

How does it perform in a 'dead stick' (engine out) situation?

Does she thermal at all?

Cheers,
Paul.

PS,

Got hold of some WELDBOND glue. Is this same/similar to Weldwood?
mrfirkin is offline Find More Posts by mrfirkin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2004, 05:12 AM
brushless nutjob
Atlanta
Joined Apr 2004
235 Posts
unless the Cg is finetuned, and the electronic gear is as light as possible, IFOs glide like rocks. its is possible however to put one in a dive and Pull out a foot above the ground for a Semi perfect landing. despite the fact that Power off they dont glide well, they are excellent designs. most likely, you will never have to deadstick an IFO unless a motor fails in flight, the prop flys off or gets broken in a midair, or you burn your ESC. unlike gas engines, electric motors are very reliable in this respect. I would reccomned investing in Lithium polymers to lighten your T-ifo, all Ifos fly and glide best light, and the lighter you can get them without sacrificing airworthyness and power, the better.

I have had three IFOs and all are still airworthy. Excellent airplanes.
Inverted_Fly is offline Find More Posts by Inverted_Fly
Old Jul 12, 2004, 06:47 AM
Oh, Ho, Ho, It's Magic!
Australia
Joined Apr 2004
958 Posts
Thanks,

All I really want from my T-IFO, when It arrives, (Still in the mail) is to do some sedate straight & level flying, a few touch & go's etc.

You know, slow and gentle.

Will the T-IFO be ok for this type of flying?

Paul.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 07:05 AM
brushless nutjob
Atlanta
Joined Apr 2004
235 Posts
Oh yes, and then some!

In its stock rudder form, it is a lot of fun for just that. there is one pitfall I must warn you about. The main gear is a bit fragile, even with a large number of kevlar wraps to give it strength. I reccomend that you wrap the gear legs with a little extra kevlar or thread up and down the length in a spiral and soak it with a little thin ca to prevent splitting of the rods later. Be super careful not to grab where you have just put glue.Reinforce it as much as you can without adding too much weight. Also, Covering it with ripstop nylon is difficult because its hard to get a super smooth taught covering. that the covering is tight is not super crucial on these planes, and a loose covering my make it fly a little bit better, although the jury is still out on that. Mine were all fairly loose, and they all flew Great. I think youll have fun building it, and You will love how it flys. when you get bored with rudder elevator, which you probably will, conversion to elevons is super easy. just look at any normal IFO or min Ifo thread and youll see how. when you convert to elevons, make sure you have a 4 or more channel radio so you can control rudded, ailerons and elevator and throttle all at once. its alot of fun
If you have any problems, then post here........this is THE place to learn about Rc.

i really dunno abou the glue, but you need a contact cement, and that comes with GWS planes. I dunno what your past experience with planes is but that stuff might work. I used Ambroid cement for vinyl models. dunno if that was smart but I think it worked great. a covering alternative is Solite, but I have doubts about its durability over such a large area without structural reinforcement underneath. and besides, heat will make your ben carbon rods explode if your nto careful. I dont mean to scare you or anyhtign, just trying to provide as many answers to as many potential problems as i can, Its actually very easy to build and fly.
Inverted_Fly is offline Find More Posts by Inverted_Fly
Last edited by Inverted_Fly; Jul 12, 2004 at 07:15 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 07:20 PM
Oh, Ho, Ho, It's Magic!
Australia
Joined Apr 2004
958 Posts
Thanks Inverted_Fly,

I will keep all that in mind. I guess then just ordinary superglue is ok to 'soak'
the kevlar thread? And sticky treacle like contact cement for the fabric to carbon rod?

I went into a craft/material shop yesterday and they had a table full of ripstop nylon (in lots of neat colours) for AUS$10.99 per metre.

I bought 1/2 metre in bright yellow as I plan on having a yellow tail as per the T-IFO pictured on WildRc's website. Might help me with orientation too.

I think I can imagine what you guys mean regards glide performance, It must be a bit like a kite? Needs power to 'drag' it around the sky? No power and just flutters down?

Cheers,
Paul
Old Jul 12, 2004, 09:51 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
I like Yellow T-IFO's as well! Excuse the cross as it's a CAPTURED T-IFO!

Can I ask what your AUW is? Mine came out kinda fat at 6.8ozs
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Jul 12, 2004, 11:32 PM
Oh, Ho, Ho, It's Magic!
Australia
Joined Apr 2004
958 Posts
Hi Tommytorino,

Looks cool!

I am yet to build, (Kit actually arrived today) Yippee!

Just started reading the instructions and mulling over the plans.

One question,

I located the 25.5" carbon rod that forms the rudder and when I bend it into shape over the plans, It is too small. ie; the hoop is about 1/8 inch inside the rudder hoop as drawn on the plans. Is that how it is? Close enough is good enough?

Also, is there any chance of snapping this carbon rod whilst bending it into such tortured shapes,

Cheers,
Paul.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 10:08 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Paul

The rudder was exactly the same in my build, just slightly smaller then the one in the plans.

The manual says to wear safty glasses when bending the carbon fiber, I assume anything is possible. I do know some people have noted that carbon fiber does NOT like excessive heat and can fail that way.

Sorry, I didnt get to posting pics last night. I got hone from work late and balanced it.

I hope mine flies better then it looks!

Best of luck on your build!

Tommy in NY
Old Jul 13, 2004, 06:59 PM
Oh, Ho, Ho, It's Magic!
Australia
Joined Apr 2004
958 Posts
Hey TT,

Like those wheels. Are they GWS ?

The ones that came with the kit are very ordinary.

Just finished the tail hoop/skid, Fuselage.

I am about to have a go at the main LE/wing spar. Looks like a challenge!

Cheers,

Paul.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 07:05 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Paul

There leftover from a GWS Pico Stick F. I also made a tailwheel as the skid on blacktop just made it turn in circles. It appeared to be a ground looper waiting to happen!

Best of Luck on your Build!
Old Jul 13, 2004, 09:29 PM
Oh, Ho, Ho, It's Magic!
Australia
Joined Apr 2004
958 Posts
Back again,

A good mornings work. Still picking the ca of my fingers!

I followed the plans, joined the long carbon rods with the 2 pieces of
squashed tubing.

I then used my foot, packing tape, pins etc to make the shape and size over the plans (must have looked a bit like I was playing a game of twister)!

Anyway's again, to achieve the overall shape and line the fuselage and everything else up, It all came out somewhat smaller than on the plans. Just like the rudder.

Did you notice this?

I have ca'd and kevlar threaded all the joins. It hasent gone 'sproiinngggg'
yet !

Those wheels look great, I'm going to add similar ones.

Will try and get my digital working and take some pics.

About to put the covering on. I have 2 types of glue. Not sure which will be best, WELDBOND (Kinda looks runny, more like a woodglue) or I have a tin of KWIK GRIP (this is more like a treacle, contact glue).

What would be the best in your opinion?

Cheers,
Paul.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 10:03 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Paul

I can’t honestly remember just how the main body aligned in size as comparison to the tail. If I remember correctly <mind you I built the T-IFO in rush fashion over 2 days> the main “hoops” was much closer to matching the plans then the tail section.

In regard to the glue, again the only thing I used was the suggested Dap Brand Weldwood contact cement. In my first experience working with it I found it to be a lot like rubber cement. Meaning it had the same fluid texture and would dry very tacky when exposed to air right quick. Perhaps you might want to snip a bit of the “extra” ripstop off and see what glue you have works best? Meaning which glue seems to adhere the ripstop to itself best.

I was surprised but when I did my CG of the T-IFO I was tail heavy!!! While I did have to add a small length of CF rod to the “factory” tail skid I assumed those Pico Wheels would have me nose heavy for sure. To correct my CG I had to move my battery <1.5oz 2 cell lipo> right behind the landing gear.

My only other problem was in the tail mounting. Aside from the fact everyone’s tail <vertical> seems to lean to 1 side or the other mine is perhaps 2 far forward. By that I mean if I add the requested dihedral <2 inches?> via thread it will rub on the tail surface.

All things considered I may be over critical of my build. I have seen a LOT better on here and some just as “bad” as mine. Heck if the thing flies with “loose” ripstop <and some say they fly BETTER loose> then I’m sure this isn’t exactly rocket science, so to speak!

Ill try to get pics of mine up and posted tonight. I’m I remember correctly I came in kinda heavy at 6.8ozs. Seems most people are at 5.9 give or take.

Best of Luck on the Build and lets see some pics!

Tommy in NY
Old Jul 14, 2004, 12:59 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Here are some Pics. I re-did my rear kevlar thread to get the 2"s of Dihedral. I think it should fly. Not so sure about the gear though!

Tommy in NY
Old Jul 14, 2004, 01:49 AM
Oh, Ho, Ho, It's Magic!
Australia
Joined Apr 2004
958 Posts
Tommy!

Well done, that looks insane! Love the sprayed prop!.

Well, regards the glue. I stupidly listened to the salesman in the hardware
store and not my own instincts and went with the WELDBOND. After the allowed dry time the fabric just fell way.

Luckily I only tried it on the rudder.

I also bought a tin of Kwik Grip (think that's the closest I can get in Australia to your Weldwood.

Seems to have worked ok.

I'll let you know how I go with the C/G. Do you think it needs that much dihedral?

Paul.

PS,

I got the lights with my order too. Dont they look great. I cant wait to fly it round the backyard at night!
Old Jul 14, 2004, 05:04 AM
Oh, Ho, Ho, It's Magic!
Australia
Joined Apr 2004
958 Posts
Tommy,

I now have, for better or for worse, a covered T-IFO.

Just need to add the wheels, motor, servos etc.

Just a quick question, I have 2 'birdseed' battery packs left over from my crashed (another story) Dragonfly Heli.

They are 7cell, 600 mAh NiMH packs.

Would these work, or blow the guts out of the T-IFO motor, or at best be too heavy?

I am planning to order the correct 7cell 300maH soon. Just cant wait to fly this thing!

Paul.