HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2004, 01:19 AM
toronto.on.ca
Joined Jun 2004
12 Posts
Scratch built boat not criusing smooth.

Hi,
I've finally finished a boat that I started about 12 years ago, it runs faster than I thought it would but it could be better.
the boat pitches in a oscillation at full speed. I've tried adjusting the thrust angle down and also the CG and it didn't work. I was thinking of glueing some runners or rails I'm not sure what they're called but they're usually parallel with the keel which redirects water down. What do you think?
BTW here's my boat:

Vince003 is offline Find More Posts by Vince003
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2004, 01:53 AM
Joined Feb 2004
193 Posts
Nice work!!,neat paint!,Is the hull porposing while running??,how deep is the lower leg of the outbord sitting in the water??,its hard to tell(there is no transom pic)by having the lower leg to low or too high can result in loose running.Adding strakes to the hull may help,adding trim tabs may help the situation but Its a tough call due to it is an outboard..It should plane out well with a properly adjusted outboard.I would mainly check the outboard depth first & then go from there...Cheers!.
reaper is offline Find More Posts by reaper
Old Jul 12, 2004, 09:13 AM
TOPDOG
Taiwan
Joined Oct 2003
817 Posts
where did the outboad come from
pacro is offline Find More Posts by pacro
Old Jul 12, 2004, 08:37 PM
toronto.on.ca
Joined Jun 2004
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper
Nice work!!,neat paint!,Is the hull porposing while running??,how deep is the lower leg of the outbord sitting in the water??,its hard to tell(there is no transom pic)by having the lower leg to low or too high can result in loose running.Adding strakes to the hull may help,adding trim tabs may help the situation but Its a tough call due to it is an outboard..It should plane out well with a properly adjusted outboard.I would mainly check the outboard depth first & then go from there...Cheers!.
Thanks and yes it's porposing.I just did a search on that and got some info to try to solve the problem.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 08:39 PM
toronto.on.ca
Joined Jun 2004
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacro
where did the outboad come from
I got the outboard 10 or more years ago new in a box.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 10:14 PM
TOPDOG
Taiwan
Joined Oct 2003
817 Posts
what company
pacro is offline Find More Posts by pacro
Old Jul 12, 2004, 11:21 PM
toronto.on.ca
Joined Jun 2004
12 Posts
Kyosho
Old Jul 13, 2004, 09:45 AM
Full Throttle and No Regrets!
Denville, New Jersey
Joined Jun 2004
613 Posts
Nice work looks small though and maybe thats why it reacts to the water the way it does maybe a little more weight in the center of the boat will keep it steady I once did that to one of my einstein projects and it did the trick but it didnt have an outboard. It was to light for the speed it was going and it would swing everywhere once it got a little air...
MeBluEyz99 is offline Find More Posts by MeBluEyz99
Old Jul 13, 2004, 03:00 PM
Dundas, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2004
51 Posts
Vince,
Neat looking job! Are you running that boat up in cottage country??
We are about 20 minutes north of Parry Sound. Will be trying the Villian EX in August up on the lake.
Swashmix is offline Find More Posts by Swashmix
Old Jul 13, 2004, 09:01 PM
toronto.on.ca
Joined Jun 2004
12 Posts
Thanks. We rented a cottage near Severn Falls in early June. thats where the pictures was taken, it was also the first time it touched water.
Old Jul 16, 2004, 01:58 PM
Hesparia,CA
Joined Apr 2004
414 Posts
try moving to out bord farther from the transom(standoff bracket) this is generally accepted in full scale out boards
tsunami is offline Find More Posts by tsunami