SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 11, 2004, 12:39 PM
Joined Jul 2004
376 Posts
Before I make this purchase, can someone check it out?

I am an electric newbie but have been reading intently the last few weeks and feel I've learned quite a bit. I already have the plane ordered (3dfoamy Edge 540 12-15 ounce). I also already have a LiPo charger (accucycle Elite). I've decided to go with the following setup and would like you experts to make sure I'm not doing something stupid

AXI 2212/34 External Rotor Brushless Motor from Hobby Lobby
Castle Creations Phoenix-25 ESC
APC 11x4.7 slow slyer prop
APC 12x6 Slow Flyer Prop
Berg-5*DSP II Receiver (Horizontal Pins)
4 Hitec HS-55 Standard Feather Servo
Deans Male and Female Ultra Plugs
MPI 3.5 mm Gold Power Plugs
2 Poly-Quest 10C Lithium-Polymer 850mAh 3S PACK (11.1V, 8.5A)
Graupner Prop Shaft Adapter for 3.2mm (1/8") Motor Levi over at 3DFoamy has made some custom AXI motor mounts that he is including in my kit so there is no need for me to buy the radial mounting set. I assume this Graupner shaft adapter should fit my needs.

Have a missed anything? Am I doing anything stupid?
coomarlin is online now Find More Posts by coomarlin
Last edited by coomarlin; Jul 11, 2004 at 01:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2004, 01:06 PM
Joined Jul 2004
376 Posts
One additonal note. Since ther plane wil be so light and pull max about 9 amps do you think I should go with the Deans Polerized Micro Plugs instead of the Ultra plugs. http://www.aeromicro.com/Catalog/dea...gs_1719670.htm

Are the ultra plugs overkill? The reason I chose the ultra plugs was because I figured that they are supposed to be the best and I just make one or two charge leads and that way I wouldn't have to have seperate charge leads for the micro or JST connectors taht I see on other packs.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 02:08 PM
You're a nerd.
Norman, Oklahoma, United States
Joined Aug 2003
441 Posts
Is this plane recommended for a beginner?
OUAndy1807 is offline Find More Posts by OUAndy1807
Old Jul 11, 2004, 03:14 PM
Joined Jul 2004
376 Posts
It's a 3D Foamy. It's not for beginners. I mentioned that I'm an electric newbie, but I've been flying glow for several years now. I have a UCD with a Siato 100 that I use for 3D, but I want an electric plane so I can fly it in my backyard.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 04:28 PM
You're a nerd.
Norman, Oklahoma, United States
Joined Aug 2003
441 Posts
OK, just wanted to make sure you were not a complete newb trying to fly a 3D plane.
OUAndy1807 is offline Find More Posts by OUAndy1807
Old Jul 11, 2004, 08:44 PM
Fly
Veracitarian Muser
Tempe, Arizona USA
Joined Dec 2001
582 Posts
You can save a few grams with the Phoenix 10.

-- Alan
Fly is offline Find More Posts by Fly
Old Jul 11, 2004, 08:56 PM
Joined Jul 2004
376 Posts
You are right. I was thinking of the 25 simply because I could maybe use it with a bigger motor down the road. I'm still debating this one. I've heard others mention that certain props might actually cause the AXI to pull around 11 Amps and I guess that would be too much for the 10? Why on earth doesn't Phoenix make a 15 or 18 similar to the Jeti?

Can you answer a question for me. Will the above setup pull more amps on a larger capacity battery pack ( 3s 1500mah)? I don't really fully understand the electronics of these things. If I increase the capacity of the pack will the motor actually pull more amps? Or does that only happen when I increase the number of cells or change prop size?
Old Jul 11, 2004, 09:01 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
My understanding is that when you go to bigger cells, the internal resistance goes down, so more volts go to your motor, so theres more amps. I might be wrong, but I think thats the gist.

Cam
larsy87 is offline Find More Posts by larsy87
Old Jul 11, 2004, 09:01 PM
Joined Jul 2004
376 Posts
After looking closer at the Graupner shaft I listed above I noticed something I didn't like. It connects to the prop using a set screw similar to a wheel collar Not too crazy about that. Those things always seem to be a PITA. I saw another one listed at http://aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=2072 that looks a little more substancial. It says it's even lighter than the one from AXI and it's specifically made to fit APC slow fly props. Maybe I'll go that route.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 09:04 PM
Joined Jul 2004
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Galbraith
My understanding is that when you go to bigger cells, the internal resistance goes down, so more volts go to your motor, so theres more amps. I might be wrong, but I think thats the gist.

Cam
So by that logic the AXI would pull less amps from a 3s 730 pack than it would from a 3s 1500mah pack. Even if that are both 11V.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 09:12 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
Don't trust me on that, it might(and probably is) wrong. I know there is a relationship between those factors though.
larsy87 is offline Find More Posts by larsy87
Old Jul 11, 2004, 11:31 PM
usa
Joined Mar 2003
1,018 Posts
since your are a newbie, it is best to start standardizing your gear this early. since you are starting with 830mah batteries and a phoenix 25 (for future upgradability) i would advice you to stick with deans ultra plugs. it is a small weight sacrifice, but up the road, you can switch it to bigger motors without having to worry about rewiring the speed controller. or the charger.

for motor controller, the 3.5mm connectors are a bit large (rated for 45 amps). Id go with the mpj 1.8mm from aircraft world. they are rated to 25 amps and are small enough to fit nice with the axi, and enough current capcity to max out your phoenix 25.

the rest of the gear looks good. I personally would recommend the cheaper and highly reliably, GWS pico BB servos.
BING! is offline Find More Posts by BING!
Last edited by BING!; Jul 11, 2004 at 11:34 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:07 AM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Galbraith
Don't trust me on that, it might(and probably is) wrong. I know there is a relationship between those factors though.
It is correct. It usually is not a huge increase, but it depends on how much difference in internal resistance. 600AE's over kan 1400's will be somewhat signifigant.

--Alex
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:28 AM
Sacramento
Joined Nov 2003
964 Posts
You should get the phoenix 25 rather than the 10 for another reason,.. BEC rating, I noticed you'll be running four servos and if I remember correctly thats a little too much for the phoenix 10 ( allthough I got away with it )
crashingagain is offline Find More Posts by crashingagain
Old Jul 12, 2004, 06:22 AM
Joined Jul 2004
376 Posts
Thanks a lot for the info guys. Much appreciated. I will go with the ultra plugs and look into the smaller 1.8mm connectors.

Good point on the 4 servos. The 25 support them a bit better.