HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2004, 05:29 AM
Eeezy on da Haardware!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
466 Posts
Are real heli rotor heads similar to model heli rotor heads?

Just wondering...

The style of head you see on a model helicopter..eg, the method of using a swashplate and arms/whatever to move the plate up and down thus affecting forward+back/sideways movement...is this a standard method?

I know the difference between CP and FP is the variable pitch of the blades, but is there another difference? Does it create forward/sideways flight in another fashion?

And more importantly, what about real helicopters? Do they use similar methods as we see in model helicopters to induce forward/side movement, or do they have a completely different style of rotor head?

Maybe lynxman could answer these? :P
smste2 is offline Find More Posts by smste2
Last edited by smste2; Jul 11, 2004 at 05:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2004, 05:38 AM
Hawaii, Kauai Wailua
Joined Jan 2004
577 Posts
i was just wondering that a while ago thanks for asking hope we get a good answer.
flyingmonkey350 is offline Find More Posts by flyingmonkey350
Old Jul 11, 2004, 06:39 AM
Blade Springs "Rock"
Central Coast, CA
Joined Apr 2004
2,141 Posts
Bell Huey Collective

I know that RC Model Collective Systems can be very simular to the real ones. Bell uses a seperate collective system by raising and lowering the scissors and the swashplate remains stationary. Lots of moving and rotating parts...I believe the Technology of CCPM has elimated alot of this and it uses three servos to raise and lower the swashplate all acting together to increase collective pitch in the micro heli world.

My origional gas RC heli was a seperate, simular to the Bell system.

Because Real helicopters only have one stick, they have a intermixing bell crank system that mixes the two servo controls, there are two clevis's connected to the cyclic stick fore/aft side/side, they connect to the intermixing bell crank then to servo input levers. This allows a single input lets say fore/aft input to two servos at the same time....moving both servos up or down together....did that make sense?

Of course there are about as many different variations of this as there are helicopters, especially multi rotor systems, whew! Try explaining the control systems of those......!

G.
Geoffrey109 is offline Find More Posts by Geoffrey109
Old Jul 11, 2004, 07:08 AM
4-D traveller
New Location
Joined Dec 2003
620 Posts
As Lynxman once put it, there are probably a hundred rotor head systems. They are all similar regarding blade pitching and tilting, and different only by the mechanics that do these tasks.

On RC helis you allow more extreme manuevres, don't worry about flight saftety/comfort, and hence a great part of the mechanics simplified away.

The rotor head on a CP RC heli is closest to Bell 2-blade helis, but with the flap hinge simplified away. Real helies that don't use flap hinges have flexible rotor blade.

Otherwise, google searching rotor head should bring you more in-depth information.
glxy is offline Find More Posts by glxy
Old Jul 11, 2004, 07:22 AM
Eeezy on da Haardware!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
466 Posts
gentleman, I bring you the future :P not! =)

Thanks guys!! That explains alot I've been doing a bit of research today, but the best way to get good answers always seems to just ask the people that know! =)

I've been working in GMAX(3d) today after having a "vision!" of a "new rotor head design" with is nothing like i've seen (thou i may be proven wrong!). There are no complicated mechanisms, only a few parts...and no servos. The control system is going to have to be figured out to adapt to a normal rc TX. Working that out now... might need a pcb or something, though hopefully not as complicated as that. I have some cools pics, but...well...you know what places like helihobby do :P *RIP!* I'm itching to get your opinion, but...ohh I should'ntt post a pic. doh! hmm wot im starting to sound like mario! haha
smste2 is offline Find More Posts by smste2
Last edited by smste2; Jul 11, 2004 at 07:26 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 08:21 AM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
Non-CCPM systems mix the swash-plat input with the collective like is common on Bell helicopters. CCPM-systems need to move the flybar up and down with collective. I'm trying to figure out a CCPM system for my heli where the flybar is not moving up and down though.

I think the flybar is great because it reduces the strain on the servos compared to direct input.

Real helicopters don't use a flybar and flybar paddles, I know about only one full size helicopter that used a flybar, and it was like the Bell 47. Some helicopters use a stabilizer bar.

There are articulated, semi-rigid and rigid full size rotor systems. You should see the rotor system on the Westland Lynx. It's swashplate-less and very rigid, strong and simple. It makes for a very maneuverable helicopter. It's so rigid in fact that it reduses the gyroscopic precession to 70-something degrees instead of 90.
Lynxman is offline Find More Posts by Lynxman
Old Jul 11, 2004, 02:15 PM
Lost in Kuwait
Marysville, Ca
Joined Oct 2003
217 Posts
There are many full scale helicopters out there that use the Bell-Hiller mixing, IE the Fly Bar and Flybar paddles, that's what the Bell-Hiller mixing was first used on, alot of the R/C technology is just Full Scale Technology simplified. And some stuf like CCPM was born to simplify the swash even more, though i don't think it's used on full scale birds. I would like to know if there is one though
Arorr is offline Find More Posts by Arorr