HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
 
Thread Tools
Old Jul 10, 2004, 05:11 PM
intheswamp00
Guest
n/a Posts
Powered glider for beginner??

Howdy. I'm a very, very rank beginner here...not even sure you could call
me a beginner being as I have no flight time, but...

I'm interested in putting together a powered glider. I live in south
Alabama so I don't think we have the fancy thermals like someplaces do, but
the buzzards say we do have some of 'em! My interest is in putting together
an electric plane that I can send to a lofty altitude and then hunt for the
thermals. The ability to carry a small camera would be very attractive.

All the ESCs, cobalt, brushless, foam, balsa, pico servos, mini-servos,
3-channel, 4-channel, etc., have got my head swimming. What I'm hoping for
is for someone to point towards a kit, ARF, or maybe even a RTF that would
be a good one. Something solid and power efficient that is good and stable
in flight and that a newbie could put together and with concentration fly.
Practical and functional are much more important to me than "pretty".
I'm fairly handy with tools and can follow instructions so a not-to-complex
kit would work good for me in keeping the costs down.

Basically, I guess I'm trying to figure out what specific parts, kits, etc.,
would be a good one for me to look at. I'm trying to get out with less than
$350 total. Currently looking at the JR XF421EX or maybe the Quattro Lite
transmitters which will leave around $200 for the plane.

Help is MUCH appreciated at this point!

Thanks!
Ed


Old Jul 11, 2004, 05:11 AM
The Natural Philosopher
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Powered glider for beginner??

intheswamp00 wrote:

> Howdy. I'm a very, very rank beginner here...not even sure you could call
> me a beginner being as I have no flight time, but...
>
> I'm interested in putting together a powered glider. I live in south
> Alabama so I don't think we have the fancy thermals like someplaces do, but
> the buzzards say we do have some of 'em! My interest is in putting together
> an electric plane that I can send to a lofty altitude and then hunt for the
> thermals. The ability to carry a small camera would be very attractive.
>
> All the ESCs, cobalt, brushless, foam, balsa, pico servos, mini-servos,
> 3-channel, 4-channel, etc., have got my head swimming. What I'm hoping for
> is for someone to point towards a kit, ARF, or maybe even a RTF that would
> be a good one. Something solid and power efficient that is good and stable
> in flight and that a newbie could put together and with concentration fly.
> Practical and functional are much more important to me than "pretty".
> I'm fairly handy with tools and can follow instructions so a not-to-complex
> kit would work good for me in keeping the costs down.
>
> Basically, I guess I'm trying to figure out what specific parts, kits, etc.,
> would be a good one for me to look at. I'm trying to get out with less than
> $350 total. Currently looking at the JR XF421EX or maybe the Quattro Lite
> transmitters which will leave around $200 for the plane.
>
> Help is MUCH appreciated at this point!
>


www.ezonemag.com will help you sort out the bits and pieces.

In general most electric gliders don't climb that well 'out of the box'
biu spending a little extra on e.g. most usefully a gearbox, will get
you what you want.

Having been in your position, and bought a Protech Alpha, the first
thing that improved it was simply one more cell on the battery pack.
That took it from 'barely flyable' to 'does in fact go up as well as down'

If I had kown then what I know now, I'd have stuck a gearbox and a
bigger prop on it too.

You can get prefectly acceptable results from that without having to
plunge into expensive motors and Lithium batteries.



> Thanks!
> Ed
>
>


Old Jul 11, 2004, 11:11 AM
intheswamp00
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Powered glider for beginner??

Thanks for the reply and the tip on the gearbox. I'll certainly keep that
in mind. I've almost decided to opt for a non-motorized plane (see my new
post to the group)...and of course have some question on it, also. Ed


"The Natural Philosopher" <a@b.c> wrote in message
news:ccqvdt$75r$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk...
> intheswamp00 wrote:
>
> > Howdy. I'm a very, very rank beginner here...not even sure you could

call
> > me a beginner being as I have no flight time, but...
> >
> > I'm interested in putting together a powered glider. I live in south
> > Alabama so I don't think we have the fancy thermals like someplaces do,

but
> > the buzzards say we do have some of 'em! My interest is in putting

together
> > an electric plane that I can send to a lofty altitude and then hunt for

the
> > thermals. The ability to carry a small camera would be very attractive.
> >
> > All the ESCs, cobalt, brushless, foam, balsa, pico servos, mini-servos,
> > 3-channel, 4-channel, etc., have got my head swimming. What I'm hoping

for
> > is for someone to point towards a kit, ARF, or maybe even a RTF that

would
> > be a good one. Something solid and power efficient that is good and

stable
> > in flight and that a newbie could put together and with concentration

fly.
> > Practical and functional are much more important to me than "pretty".
> > I'm fairly handy with tools and can follow instructions so a

not-to-complex
> > kit would work good for me in keeping the costs down.
> >
> > Basically, I guess I'm trying to figure out what specific parts, kits,

etc.,
> > would be a good one for me to look at. I'm trying to get out with less

than
> > $350 total. Currently looking at the JR XF421EX or maybe the Quattro

Lite
> > transmitters which will leave around $200 for the plane.
> >
> > Help is MUCH appreciated at this point!
> >

>
> www.ezonemag.com will help you sort out the bits and pieces.
>
> In general most electric gliders don't climb that well 'out of the box'
> biu spending a little extra on e.g. most usefully a gearbox, will get
> you what you want.
>
> Having been in your position, and bought a Protech Alpha, the first
> thing that improved it was simply one more cell on the battery pack.
> That took it from 'barely flyable' to 'does in fact go up as well as down'
>
> If I had kown then what I know now, I'd have stuck a gearbox and a
> bigger prop on it too.
>
> You can get prefectly acceptable results from that without having to
> plunge into expensive motors and Lithium batteries.
>
>
>
> > Thanks!
> > Ed
> >
> >

>



Old Jul 11, 2004, 09:11 PM
aeropal
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Powered glider for beginner??

Beginner Parkflyers
http://beginnerparkflyers.nexuswebs.net/index.html
Old Jul 12, 2004, 09:11 AM
jim breeyear
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Powered glider for beginner??

I started out on a House of Balsa 2x4. Your average 2 meter wing glider.
Power pods (electric or glow) worked very well. Glow performed better on
the climb. .051 Cox.

intheswamp00 wrote:

> Howdy. I'm a very, very rank beginner here...not even sure you could call
> me a beginner being as I have no flight time, but...
>
>
> Thanks!
> Ed
>
>


Old Jul 13, 2004, 09:11 AM
jjvb
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Powered glider for beginner??

Check out a Hobby Lobby Miss2. http://www.hobby-lobby.com/miss2.htm I've
had one for three years now. Flies well. I was chasing a turkey vulture
around with it this weekend. I can get over 20 minute flights with the
standard setup.

John VB

"intheswamp00" <intheswamp00@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:40f04e93_2@news.vic.com...
> Howdy. I'm a very, very rank beginner here...not even sure you could call
> me a beginner being as I have no flight time, but...
>
> I'm interested in putting together a powered glider. I live in south
> Alabama so I don't think we have the fancy thermals like someplaces do,

but
> the buzzards say we do have some of 'em! My interest is in putting

together
> an electric plane that I can send to a lofty altitude and then hunt for

the
> thermals. The ability to carry a small camera would be very attractive.
>




Old Jul 13, 2004, 11:11 AM
Efulmer
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Powered glider for beginner??

I hope you don't ever catch a turkey buzzard. He'll eat that llittle thing!!
LOL I chase buzzards and stuff a lot and have never hit one. I hope not to.
Just a little fun harrassing the wildlife. Flame suit on for you PETA folks.
Eddie Fulmer
Old Jul 15, 2004, 07:11 PM
Doug McLaren
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Powered glider for beginner??

In article <20040713102756.05810.00000986@mb-m27.aol.com>,
Efulmer <efulmer@aol.com> wrote:

| I hope you don't ever catch a turkey buzzard. He'll eat that llittle thing!!
| LOL I chase buzzards and stuff a lot and have never hit one. I hope not to.
| Just a little fun harrassing the wildlife. Flame suit on for you PETA folks.

I hit a buzzard at the local slope (Mansfield Dam) about a year ago
with a foamie flying wing. I guess I snuck up behind him and collided
with him. Certainly, it wasn't intentional.

He squawked, dived and got the hell out of dodge. I guess I scared
him -- he must not have been paying attention. I just barely bumped
into him, the plane barely reacted. But he certainly did

I don't see how you could ever actually hit one intentionally.
Generally they fly much better than we do, and are very alert. They
seem to ignore our planes mostly, but do move if we get too close.

(Unlike the swallows, who attack unmercifully if you get too close to
their nest (?). Of course, they really can't do a thing to the plane,
never mind the fact that it's like 10x as big as they are. But it's
funny.)

--
Doug McLaren, dougmc@frenzy.com Beam me up, Scotty! It ate my phaser!
Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:11 PM
Mike R.
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: Powered glider for beginner??

dougmc@frenzy.com (Doug McLaren) wrote in message news:<LLDJc.44412$mY2.33336@fe1.texas.rr.com>...
> In article <20040713102756.05810.00000986@mb-m27.aol.com>,
> Efulmer <efulmer@aol.com> wrote:
>
> | I hope you don't ever catch a turkey buzzard. He'll eat that llittle thing!!
> | LOL I chase buzzards and stuff a lot and have never hit one. I hope not to.
> | Just a little fun harrassing the wildlife. Flame suit on for you PETA folks.
>
> I hit a buzzard at the local slope (Mansfield Dam) about a year ago
> with a foamie flying wing. I guess I snuck up behind him and collided
> with him. Certainly, it wasn't intentional.
>
> He squawked, dived and got the hell out of dodge. I guess I scared
> him -- he must not have been paying attention. I just barely bumped
> into him, the plane barely reacted. But he certainly did
>
> I don't see how you could ever actually hit one intentionally.
> Generally they fly much better than we do, and are very alert. They
> seem to ignore our planes mostly, but do move if we get too close.
>
> (Unlike the swallows, who attack unmercifully if you get too close to
> their nest (?). Of course, they really can't do a thing to the plane,
> never mind the fact that it's like 10x as big as they are. But it's
> funny.)


We have a hawk were I work and that bird slaughters the squirel
and rabbit poplation. Never attacked my SS.....but whats funny is that
the crows will pester the hell out of him ....yet he has the
andvantage. He could easily slaughter those crows.
 


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Appreciate advice on e- powered glider for beginner strawcuter Sailplane Talk 9 Jul 24, 2005 07:04 PM
epp powered pusher for beginner? opualuan Foamies (Kits) 40 Oct 06, 2001 03:24 AM
A glider for a beginner Yoda Dog Electric Sailplanes 2 Aug 01, 2001 10:09 AM
What would be a good thermal glider for a beginner? ChrisFeole Electric Sailplanes 11 Jun 28, 2001 01:34 AM