HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2004, 07:51 AM
australia
Joined Apr 2003
273 Posts
Anyone stock parts to build a double whooper

Hi
I want to give a lightweight Zagi style wing a good motor that i can build myself so as to play with.
It currently has a stock 400 and 7x 1000ma cells and goes well but after getting a cd rom motor running i feel it can go better.
I have heard that gobrushless has something in the pipe line but am keen to get going sooner.
The only limit i have is to stay with the 10 amp speed controler i have as those things are seriously expensive!
Any thoughts???
Rob
robertjusher is offline Find More Posts by robertjusher
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2004, 08:43 AM
Maryland
Joined Nov 2003
1,380 Posts
Hold on til the first box of GBx custom hardware arrives Tuesday ok?
ScubaSteve is offline Find More Posts by ScubaSteve
Old Jul 10, 2004, 09:22 AM
I crash, therefore I FLY!
Spring Hill, FL
Joined Feb 2003
1,489 Posts
Would there be a tripple whopper in the future? I *really* want to get into the brushless motor building, but my needs are for motors that would be replacements for S400 to S600 geared motors in scale warbirds, foam construction, in the 32 to 50 in. wingspan range. NOT looking for 3D flight, just fairly scale speed and manuvers.

(Don't ask for much, do I?)

Mike S.
(aka "mad mike")
Spring Hill, FL

--------------------------------
I crash, therefore, I FLY!
----------------------------
There is no one true way.
---------------------------------
mad mike is offline Find More Posts by mad mike
Old Jul 10, 2004, 09:49 AM
fix-it-up chappie
Valley Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
2,262 Posts
Mad Mike,
From what I understand, the GBL custom cans are designed to have the same front, and then replaceable tubes/rings (not quite sure on the proper nomenclature). I believe they expect to sell them in single thru quad setups with every part identical except for the length of the tube/ring and (of course) the length of the magnets. Also they are designed to hold the 2mm magnets, not the 1mm magnets, which will offer a significant improvment on thrust.

In terms of power, think of each stator as capable of comfortably producing 5-6 amps of current. On larger props this is about 10+oz thrust/stator. Smaller props will get you less thrust, but more speed. A tripple should look something like 18-20 amps with 25-35 oz. thrust. A quad will be in the 24-28 amp range with 30-45 oz. thrust. If you know what your current setup draws, this is a big help. Also, note that even a quad will probably end up lighter than a DD speed 400.
tolladay is offline Find More Posts by tolladay
Old Jul 10, 2004, 10:07 AM
I crash, therefore I FLY!
Spring Hill, FL
Joined Feb 2003
1,489 Posts
Doubles, Tripples and Quads, oh MY!

PERFECT!

Thanks for the info. And you also gave me sort of a reference scale that I really needed, as well. That will be a *big* help.

I have gone back to the gobrushless.com web site and signed up for the email list. It looks like motor mounts will be something added in the future, as well. At least, I hope so.

Life is GOOD!

Now, if we can only get lithium batt prices down some more. . .

Mike S.
(aka "mad mike")
Spring Hill, FL

--------------------------------
I crash, therefore, I FLY!
----------------------------
There is no one true way.
---------------------------------
mad mike is offline Find More Posts by mad mike
Old Jul 10, 2004, 11:21 PM
azfai
n/a Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjusher
Hi
I want to give a lightweight Zagi style wing a good motor that i can build myself so as to play with.
It currently has a stock 400 and 7x 1000ma cells and goes well but after getting a cd rom motor running i feel it can go better.
I have heard that gobrushless has something in the pipe line but am keen to get going sooner.
The only limit i have is to stay with the 10 amp speed controler i have as those things are seriously expensive!
Any thoughts???
Rob
Yes I do.

PM for info and pricing

Jim
Old Jul 11, 2004, 01:01 AM
fix-it-up chappie
Valley Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
2,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azfai
Yes I do.
Show Off
Old Jul 11, 2004, 09:14 AM
Edmonds Wa. (Seattle)
Joined Nov 2003
3,926 Posts
Ya
Littlescreamers is offline Find More Posts by Littlescreamers
Old Jul 11, 2004, 10:46 AM
azfai
n/a Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer2
Ya
Yup

I got tired of waiting so did them my way.

Jim
Old Jul 11, 2004, 03:01 PM
Maryland
Joined Nov 2003
1,380 Posts
Robert,

Jim's stuff is top-notch, so if you're eager to get started, i couldn't think of a better set of custom hardware.

Tolladay,
You're absolutely right - universal & interchangeable parts are the key here, and it REALLY helps us to keep the price differences between singles, doubles, trips, & quads to a minimum (which was the whole point). Motor mounts are actually being produced already, and we are adding optional collars that fit over the motor mount in case you are one of the types that likes to 'hot-swap' motors at the field and don't wanna have to keep taking off the firewall-motor mount... more details to follow about that though...
Old Jul 11, 2004, 10:10 PM
fix-it-up chappie
Valley Village, CA
Joined Jan 2002
2,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve
...and we are adding optional collars that fit over the motor mount in case you are one of the types that likes to 'hot-swap' motors at the field and don't wanna have to keep taking off the firewall-motor mount... more details to follow about that though...
Another infamous ScubaSteve slip.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 10:54 PM
Maryland
Joined Nov 2003
1,380 Posts
me and my big yapper...

Here's the whole thing assembled
Old Jul 12, 2004, 06:39 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Resistance is futile

Any ballpark on timing?

The only reason I've been holding off on outrunners is the fact that the winding dedicates the motor to a given prop/cell count application, which may be slow and thrusty, or fast and weak, but not as flexible as a geared setup. Now, with the kit prices where they are, there's no reason to be whining about it anymore. Guess I better get my rear in gear and get to ordering some kits, so I'm ready when the new stuff starts showing up, huh?

All along, I've been waiting for a good combo that'll run a 9x7 or 10x4.7 on 2 cells at 5A, and provide decent speed and great thrust. Seems most of the combos to date have been incapable of this large of a prop. With the stronger magnets, using the larger can, perhaps this will change.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Jul 12, 2004, 06:57 AM
Maryland
Joined Nov 2003
1,380 Posts
GBx

Actually i was up doing the web-editing last nite til about midnight, and since i work at 6:30AM i figured it was time to call it a nite. After work i plan to make a few more updates and then post it up for the world to see.

Updates include the whole line of GBx custom hardware (endbells, flux rings, carbon fiber bearing tubes, threaded 3mm shafts, & firewall mounts), hopefully some drawings, lotsa new dealers... Bear with us - this first shipment was small and stock is quite limited. I can't limit how much you guys wanna buy, but it'd be nice if nobody

The GBx stuff won't be available as kits until probably later this week - waiting on a few more items we wanna pack with them.

A quick question... we're lookin' at gettin' some stickers made of the GB logo. Any interest? No we're not sellin' em, but we'll probably stick 'em in with the kits as a freebie.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 08:19 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
near Nijmegen, Netherlands
Joined Feb 2001
10,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bond
... The only reason I've been holding off on outrunners is the fact that the winding dedicates the motor to a given prop/cell count application, which may be slow and thrusty, or fast and weak, but not as flexible as a geared setup...
Instead of changing gearbox/gears you swap the stator or switch from delta to wye or wye to delta.

Groeten Ron
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren