SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 28, 2004, 08:41 PM
The Magician.
Lucas, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,849 Posts
Jay,

Can you post some pictures???

A 6oz battery is very light for the OverLord. Typicly, we use an 8-10 ounce battery pack. Also, you may want to remove the motor mount and notch the trailing edge of the wing to allow the motor to sit further forward and put the mount back in place.

Set your CG at 8-inches from the nose. Do not worry about trying to make the front of the CG range.

Justin
birdofprey is offline Find More Posts by birdofprey
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2004, 08:45 PM
The Magician.
Lucas, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,849 Posts
Jay,

I found the pictures of your OverLord.

Your motor is kind of far back for a light battery like you have.

You will want to put the mount further forward, or use a bigger battery pack to get the CG right.

Justin
birdofprey is offline Find More Posts by birdofprey
Old Jul 28, 2004, 08:54 PM
Athens, GA
Joined Jul 2003
374 Posts
Justin, I got my PCW flying great. I put a motor from LensRC on it and it smokes!! Thanks for sending the new mount.

Jay, I've got a pretty good hunk of lead in the nose plus an 8oz. battery pack. I also had to move my motor mount forward a bit to balance it out. With all this weight, it still glides very well. Mine is pushing 30oz AUW.

Thanks for the tip on taping the bottom side of the wing, it seems to be helping with the wingtip flex, but it looks like I'm going to need more (I can't resist the high speed dive)!
Launchpad is offline Find More Posts by Launchpad
Old Jul 28, 2004, 09:42 PM
Gettin' Lifted
Hole In The Earth, CA
Joined Feb 2004
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofprey
Jay,

Can you post some pictures???

A 6oz battery is very light for the OverLord. Typicly, we use an 8-10 ounce battery pack. Also, you may want to remove the motor mount and notch the trailing edge of the wing to allow the motor to sit further forward and put the mount back in place.
I used Shoe Goo to attach the motor mount, any tips for how to remove it without tearing up the foam??

Quote:
Set your CG at 8-inches from the nose. Do not worry about trying to make the front of the CG range.

Justin
Really?? well that will help out alot too, I was trying to make closer to the 7 1/4 mark, as this is my first wing, and thought that would make it more stable.

Justin, did you read my maiden flight report?? It was a bit too windy for a maiden, but I seemed to be having some pitch problems, which led to some questions regarding how much reflex I should have. Right now it is set as per the instructions, using a straight edge, should this be ok with the CG @ 8inches??

I really appreciate everyones help, especially being able to get input straight from the designer of the wing.

Thanks again,
Jay
Bernoulli~Bros is offline Find More Posts by Bernoulli~Bros
Old Jul 28, 2004, 09:58 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,434 Posts
just a quick note on reflex the straight edge should be held chordwise following the natrual upward chamber shape of the airfoil infront of the elevon then the elevon will have the reflex requied to stabilize it flight keep your elevon throws down to a minimum (this is the standard setup on most flying wings and Planks and it the method I employ on all my plank designs I have moved away from the flying wing concept in favour of the more stabile planks layout
Cheers
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Jul 28, 2004, 10:01 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,434 Posts
current Plank designs

these are 2 of my current designs both employ the reflex setup I mentioned before
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Jul 29, 2004, 09:48 PM
Athens, GA
Joined Jul 2003
374 Posts
Here's what I wound up with on the wingtips. I seemed to give up a little bit of stability at lower speeds, but now it handles great when it's going fast. I dialed in a little bit of washout tonight to see if that helps with the stability (I think the LE was a little higher than the TE before).
Old Jul 29, 2004, 09:53 PM
Athens, GA
Joined Jul 2003
374 Posts
Jay, have you had any luck yet? Here's a pic that shows the motor orientation on mine. I've got it jammed up there pretty good.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 01:34 AM
Gettin' Lifted
Hole In The Earth, CA
Joined Feb 2004
322 Posts
Ok, well I went down to 3oz of lead in the nose, will remove more once I get a bigger battery pack, carefully cut the motor mount off and reglued aprox ~3/4" forward.

After doing all this my CG is now spot on right in front of my 8" mark.

Just waiting on some decent conditions to give it another go, been a bit too windy the past few days.

Jay
Old Aug 01, 2004, 02:22 AM
Bay Area, Ca
Joined Jul 2004
78 Posts
Did any of you consider the Devastator instead of the Overlord? What are the pros/cons of each? I'm close to making a final decision and want to better understand these two models?
windtrader is offline Find More Posts by windtrader
Old Aug 01, 2004, 10:39 AM
Just fly the darn wing!!!
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
The Devastator is faster, more agile and smaller.

For a first wing, the devastator can be a handful, even though you get used to it. I like both, but my heart is set on 36" wings, so i prefer the Devastator.

Dennis
ScYcS is offline Find More Posts by ScYcS
Old Aug 02, 2004, 03:28 PM
Gettin' Lifted
Hole In The Earth, CA
Joined Feb 2004
322 Posts
The Overlord and I had a date this morning,

After about 30minutes, 5 launch's and as many crash's , I was ready to call the plane a brick and head home...but instead I switched batteries and pushed another prop on. One launch and 4 minutes later, I had a completly different point of view
!!

Like I said, the first five or so tries were crap. I blame this alot on a damaged KAN pack, nowhere near enough power, went something like : Launch---straight---tip stall---OH .......cut to me kicking the dirt exclaiming "what the is wrong this thing!!".

In retrospect, I think she simply wasnt getting up to speed. On top of that I know I tried atleast one launch with the prop on backwards(discovered it afterwards).

Anyways, after some frustration, I decided to switch batteries, put in the freshley peaked CBP1050 and wow, what a difference!

Also I pushed the gunther prop on further and harder than I had been doing, due to my theory that my prop wasnt puched on the shaft far enough, which I think was causing tracking problems, or thrust alignment problems.

Anyways, with a good pack, and the prop on straight and tight, off she went, wow this thing really flies!!I kept her in the air for a solid 4 minutes before I tried to land, and landing, damn the girl really does glide! I felt like I had to force her down

After that, not knowing how much juice I had left, and given that she is all EPP, I decided to her another toss,went just like my first tries, tip stall/oh, the hub of my last gunther prop was pretty chewed up by then, plus I had ran battery on that last flight for 4 minutes at WOT, I wasnt really surprised to not get anymore time on the bird for today, considering the questionalble amount of charge left in my batt. plus the possiblity of prop slipping.

So now, I KNOW she flies and I KNOW the bird is a LOTTA-FUN once I get her in the air!! High speed dives and manuvers that I would never get away with w/ my SlowStick, plus, a very stable feel.

I can wait till the next time, hopefully tommorow, (if I can make it to LHS for more props, before they close today).

Two things I wanted to ask about; props, and motors. First of all, props, are any of you using prop adapters?? these push on gunther hubs really IMHO, also, what other brands of props might I try?

Motors, I am using a regular cheapie ole forward/neutral timed s400 which was included with an old ARF , and it seems to have gone downhill. When I first hooked everything up, I had full throttle range, now the motor doesnt even kick on till 3/4 throttle. I have adjusted every possibilty on my Flash 5, and nothing seems to help.
I dont mind buying a new motor, just wondering if this could be the problem, like the motor going downhill, requiring more power to start running (make sence??) Any advice???

I am thinking about either buying the reverse timed/balanced zagi motor, or the similar reverse s400 at aircraft-world...any suggestions here??

I really appreciate all of the help I have received from you guys, I honestly couldnt have done it without ya.

Complete frustration, turned into 4 minutes of pure joy,
Jay

Numerous language edits by moderator. Please follow site guidelines.
Last edited by Don Sims; Aug 02, 2004 at 10:17 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2004, 04:09 PM
Just fly the darn wing!!!
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
Get both, the reverse timed motor from Aircraft-world and a prop adapter for 2.3mm shafts. Together, it'll make a nice difference in power. The Overlord is, thank god, not underpowered on stock speed 400 motors and flies quite well with it. A good reverse timed motor might give you an extra 5-10% power and with a prop adapter on top you're in for a cheap, nice update. Oh and while you're at it and if you have $5 lying around that you don't know what to do with, also get a Graupner CAM 5.2x5.2 prop and smile Otherwise, get two 5x5 APC props. Both are better than the Gunther prop imho with the Graupner being the best of them.

Make sure you break in the motor by running it on 2 cells for an hour or so (or until you see no "sparks" in the motor when running WOT).

Dennis
ScYcS is offline Find More Posts by ScYcS
Last edited by ScYcS; Aug 02, 2004 at 04:11 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2004, 06:21 PM
Athens, GA
Joined Jul 2003
374 Posts
Great to hear Jay!! Enjoy your new wing.

Mark
Old Aug 02, 2004, 07:16 PM
San Diego
Joined May 2003
49 Posts
Another power system option: S480 with an APC 6x4E Prop.

I use this setup on both an eRaider and a Devastator.

Al
ARam is offline Find More Posts by ARam